Thin vs Thick Discussion, Chapter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we can hand out participation trophies? "Well Jimmy, you didn't get ANY of the answers right, but that's OK, we've now re-written the test so that it doesn't even make sense anymore so, you get an A+ for just showing up!"
Now head to any locker room you like for a shower đź‘€

It depends on the individual VI's of the various base fluids used. Amsoil did have the ACD and it did not have any VII's, the VI was based on the totality of the base oils used.
Thanks.
So based on that, can I assume that if final blend contains lower % content of improvers, because the base is already high quality (VI's) the final product will be more shear stable?

I do like that we are revisiting these topics, truthfully. Years ago the recurring theme on this website was to not fear thinner viscosity motor oils. Back then a lot of members here were on board with 5W-20 motor oils, and even those who were slightly skeptical still kept a somewhat open mind. The most common phrase back in those days regarding 5W-20 was, “use with confidence.”

Todays BITOG is much different. The tone here by many members is “screw thin oils”. IIRC, the tone here changed drastically when the evil boogeyman direct injection engines came to mass market and people started noticing fuel dilution on UOA’s. That is when the mass hate towards xW-20 oils started.

A common topic we have here today is “My new car says to use 0W-20,which brand should I use?” And most replies are all about how 0W-20 is too thin, and people start recommending to use 10W-30, 5W-40, heck a lot of people here mention to look up the owners manual in a different country and advise to use the thickest viscosity listed.

I think the most widely talked about topic these days is about the positive displacement oil pump. Generally the conversation goes like this. “My owners manual says to use 0w-20 but I have a whole bunch of 10W-30 and 10W-40 I bought on clearance. Can I use this in my engine? Oh btw, I live in Canada.” And then that
triggers the whole PD oil pump and how the PD guarantees that the right amount of oil is delivered to all parts of the engine at all times argument.

It is interesting times here to say the least. There are a handful of people here who preach their own mantra here daily, almost always against the vehicle manufacturer recommendations. My mantra is to follow the vehicle manufacturers recommendations, that has literally served me well for decades of driving and owning vehicles.

As thin as possible, as thick as necessary.

A lot of people here are going to absolutely their marbles when 0W-8 makes its way to North America.

Based on what I read, after warranty I may go to 10-30 for my 2021 GMC Canyon V6. I am now using dealer supplied AC Delco 5-30 and now will do my own OCI's Not sure what brand I'll use yet, but i like 10-30 over 5-30 here in Fl for those days when it's 95+ degrees. I switched my 2006 I5 canyon to 10-40 M1 and it seemed to sound better and still going after 150K miles. I am trying to like the thin oils and have a Jeep Grand Cherokee which takes 0-20 dealer supplied. The V6 in it is noisy and I've read that a 10-30 would quiet it down which it will get after warranty. 0-16 or 0-8 will never see one of my engines, I just don't like thin oil. Yep, I'm old school but i feel like 10-30 will be OK.

Based on what I read, after warranty I may go to 10-30 for my 2021 GMC Canyon V6. I am now using dealer supplied AC Delco 5-30 and now will do my own OCI's Not sure what brand I'll use yet, but i like 10-30 over 5-30 here in Fl for those days when it's 95+ degrees. I switched my 2006 I5 canyon to 10-40 M1 and it seemed to sound better and still going after 150K miles. I am trying to like the thin oils and have a Jeep Grand Cherokee which takes 0-20 dealer supplied. The V6 in it is noisy and I've read that a 10-30 would quiet it down which it will get after warranty. 0-16 or 0-8 will never see one of my engines, I just don't like thin oil. Yep, I'm old school but i feel like 10-30 will be OK.
Should work well where you live - used it many times in Texas …

I do like that we are revisiting these topics, truthfully. Years ago the recurring theme on this website was to not fear thinner viscosity motor oils. Back then a lot of members here were on board with 5W-20 motor oils, and even those who were slightly skeptical still kept a somewhat open mind. The most common phrase back in those days regarding 5W-20 was, “use with confidence.”

Todays BITOG is much different. The tone here by many members is “screw thin oils”. IIRC, the tone here changed drastically when the evil boogeyman direct injection engines came to mass market and people started noticing fuel dilution on UOA’s. That is when the mass hate towards xW-20 oils started.

A common topic we have here today is “My new car says to use 0W-20,which brand should I use?” And most replies are all about how 0W-20 is too thin, and people start recommending to use 10W-30, 5W-40, heck a lot of people here mention to look up the owners manual in a different country and advise to use the thickest viscosity listed.

I think the most widely talked about topic these days is about the positive displacement oil pump. Generally the conversation goes like this. “My owners manual says to use 0w-20 but I have a whole bunch of 10W-30 and 10W-40 I bought on clearance. Can I use this in my engine? Oh btw, I live in Canada.” And then that
triggers the whole PD oil pump and how the PD guarantees that the right amount of oil is delivered to all parts of the engine at all times argument.

It is interesting times here to say the least. There are a handful of people here who preach their own mantra here daily, almost always against the vehicle manufacturer recommendations. My mantra is to follow the vehicle manufacturers recommendations, that has literally served me well for decades of driving and owning vehicles.

As thin as possible, as thick as necessary.

A lot of people here are going to absolutely their marbles when 0W-8 makes its way to North America.
We don’t exactly take surveys here - and the same folks shake the tree tops with their opinions - so it might appear to be heavily biased. Some use recommended while under warranty - change to next viscosity up at 60K etc …

Last edited:
It isn’t a 10-weight oil to start with. The finished product meets the cranking and pumpability requirement for an oil that carries a 10W winter rating.

I have no idea why this thread was even begun. It makes no sense.
I had to tell someone this very, very recently. I described to then until I was blue in the face what you just said there. They were of the mindset that it starts as a 5.. person and I have pretty much parted ways, they still think they are right on the matter as well, and had all your typical I dont need you to educate me this and that.

I agree with your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back