Motor oil and your warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make a long story short I called my local Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer to get prices on routine service/oil change ECT. I asked if the dealership had a full synthetic, the service rep told me yes. I asked if ford used Mobil1. The service rep told me Mobil1 does not meet Ford’s requirements. Meaning it does not meet Ford’s specification and should never be used while your vehicle is in warranty. He continued no motor oil meets Ford’s specification and should never be used, if a problem were to develop the warranty claim could be refused or denied for not using Motorcraft motor oil. The only motor oil Ford approves. I found this interesting and wondered if this is an isolated dealership trying to scare ford owners to bring vehicles in to the dealership for routine oil changes. Any of you experience the same?

quote:

Originally posted by fscarano:
He continued no motor oil meets Ford’s specification and should never be used, if a problem were to develop the warranty claim could be refused or denied for not using Motorcraft motor oil. The only motor oil Ford approves.

That's a crock, and a violation of federal law, specifically the "tie-in sales" provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss

Yeah, that guy is full of horse poo...
twak.gif

fscarano,

You called and talked to a service writer.
Service writers at most dealers are paid professional liars who push as much service and parts at you as you can be persuaded to buy.
You called and got lied to by a salesman. It's as simple as that.
Be fun to find his name, meet him in person and present him with a quart of 5W20 by another maker meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A... maybe that and the appropriate page from a manual.
Not worth the trip, but fun to think about.
This web page tells you the Straight Dope:

http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_2006recommendations.pdf

lol Take a copy of that Ford release and a quart of Mobil 1 and sit them in front of the service writer.

snicker..

Ken

Ask 'im to put it in writing. If he does, mail a copy to the FTC. (The guy's obviosly missed his calling. Anyone who lies that well should be running for public office...)

i would definetly get that in writing and send it so the ftc. thats just wrong, they probably got a lot of people to take their car in for service because of saying that.

I said scroom all. M-1, VSOT 1.5 oz./qt. with a 7500/OCI. If my UOA comes in clean, it's a 10K OCI. The Stealer can review my many receipts for oil (anyone need some %W20 Havoline cheap? I bought it to satisfy them, no to actually

Sorry, frequent changers, I'm deserting..

I said scroom all. M-1, VSOT 1.5 oz./qt. with a 7500/OCI. If my UOA comes in clean, it's a 10K OCI. The Stealer can review my many receipts for oil (anyone need some %W20 Havoline cheap? I bought it to satisfy them, not to actually USE it). By buying the oil, I'm covering myself. No one says I need to actually PUT smelly old Havoline in my engine.

Sorry, frequent changers, I'm deserting..

Any oil that's good enough for factory fill in a Porsche, AMG or Corvette is good enough for your Ford. He's full of it and he's gonna get his dealership in trouble making statements like that. Thanks to Magnuson-Moss, if you're able to prove that your scheduled maintenance has been done with products that match or exceed Motorcraft oil specifications, your vehicle will be repaired under warranty. Mobil 1 (the recommended viscosity) is more than good enough for your Ford, even if it's a GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back