motor mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a good bit of stuff on my buddies 250k miles 2011 1500 Chevy Z71 this weekend. Ball joints, front and rear shocks, sway bar links, coolant, oil change, along with a new belt and idler pulley and belt tensioner. It'll be no problem for us to do all of this, we have access to a lift and all the proper tools. The only problem is both motor mounts are bad and we'd like to change them, we've never changed motor mounts before. I've looked up videos on youtube but none explain very well. Has anyone done this and knows any tips or tricks? This truck is used for his grass cutting business and hauls 5,000 pounds daily, so it needs to be back on the road asap.

wow, that's a lot of miles. how's it holding up? especially as a 1500 being used as a work truck full time

Here's a tip: only use the OEM motor mounts, as aftermarket motor mounts are garbage (this goes for almost every car and truck out there, not just your truck. Rock Auto has them at a good price. Look under ACDelco GM Original Equipment
smile.gif

Its holding up great, truck is in great shape. He bought it with 200k and it was owned by a foreman, all highway miles. But since 200k its been pulling that trailer every day. It has the 5.3 with AFM, I told him we should do the proper delete with a new cam and lifters eventually and run the truck to at least 500k, get his moneys worth.

Thanks, Slacktide, I will tell him.

There are 3 15mm headed bolts per side that fasten the motor mounts to the frame stands.....They have thread locker applied at the factory.

What I usually do is.....Remove the 8 15mm headed motor mount to block bolts, Raise the engine as far a possible off the mounts using a screw stand, Place a 1x4 piece of wood between the engine & mount, Lower the vehicle....Then remove the 6 mount to frame stand bolts using a 15mm 1/2" drive impact wobble socket via my 1/2" drive air impact.

Raising/spacing the engine allows easier access to the frame stand bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back