Motomaster filter recall - Southern Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to my neighbourhood Canadian Tire for a few things, and as usual walked by the automotive section just for kicks. The oil filter aisle had ALL the new Motomaster oil filters (the Chinese made ones, I assume) pulled off the shelves. Attached to each shelf was a notice saying something about "filtration issues". Did an oil change on both family vehicles last week using these new Motomaster filters. Never had a problem with the filters before, last thing I need is for something to happen to the engines. Anyone know what's going on ? Guy at the counter gave me a # to call, but it's after hours now. Don't know if it's just a lot# or could something be wrong with the entire new line of these filters. It was a Canadian Tire in southern Ontario.

wow... luckily I haven't put new motomaster filter on my car... please keep us updated!
btw, there is a new air-filter made in China too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rocketman
Anyone know what's going on ?

Yeah .... "Made in China".
spankme2.gif

Spend 3 dollars more and get supreme quality instead!

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

spankme2.gif

+1

A made in China item to protect an investment worth (upwards in the) tens of thousands of dollars? A big
31.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900

spankme2.gif

+1

A made in China item to protect an investment worth (upwards in the) tens of thousands of dollars? A big
31.gif

That's a bit generalizing, don't you think? China manufactures to the specs the original ordering company requests.

If Canadian Tire decides to cheap out and pull a quick one and specify cheaper components, the manufacturer (or the manufacturing country) is hardly to blame.

As I recall the good old FRAM is made in the good ol' US oF A and plenty bashed around here as the can of death.

Next time you sit in any plane (Be it Airbus or Boeing) remember there are thousands of components manufactured in China, albeit to stringent standards.

Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan

If Canadian Tire decides to cheap out and pull a quick one and specify cheaper components, the manufacturer (or the manufacturing country) is hardly to blame.

Who knows who "speced out" those "Motomaster" filters. Could be Canadian Tire just bought & sold some junk that was already designed & manufactured by who knows who.

A total recall of that many filters hardly meets "components manufactured in China, albeit to stringent standards."

I stay away form "off brand" filters unless I know they are really made by one of the top manufactures. You can sure buy 'em though ... if you want to.
wink.gif

spankme2.gif

+1

31.gif

That's a bit generalizing, don't you think? China manufactures to the specs the original ordering company requests.

As I recall the good old FRAM is made in the good ol' US oF A and plenty bashed around here as the can of death.

Next time you sit in any plane (Be it Airbus or Boeing) remember there are thousands of components manufactured in China, albeit to stringent standards.

Actually, good 'ol FRAM is made in Canada AFAIK, and used to make the Motomaster filters for Canadian Tire.

spankme2.gif

+1

31.gif

What was the big ruckus a couple of years ago with toys from China, lead paint? Somehow I doubt that the manufacturer spec-ed that....my guess is that like any other manufacturer, an offshore one (any offshore one) will scrimp and shave as far as they can get away with. The added twist is that our laws may not be able to go after them as severely as if they were based on US territory. The difference that you cite may hold true only because those compnents are more closely scrutinized as part of the installation process (at least I hope they are).

Last edited:
I looked at a bunch of them a few weeks ago, and almost everyone I looked in had the bypass spring installed crooked and off center, maybe 1 in 10 was centered.
Here is a thread to some pics, much better looking construction then the old frams, but Chinese QC is pretty much non-existent.
I'm glad I didn't take the free one they offered a few weeks ago with a jug of F1 oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1531285&page=1

Originally Posted By: opus1

What was the big ruckus a couple of years ago with toys from China, lead paint? Somehow I doubt that the manufacturer spec-ed that....

The manufacturer probably didn't spec that. Spec doesn't talk about implementations.

Let's see what really happened.

The toy company wanted to reduce cost in order to maximize their profit margin.
They signed a deal with a Chinese company and paid them less than they would pay for a local company.
They handed over their spec.
The Chinese company, in order to make money, used lead paint, which is absolutely WRONG.
The toy company DID NOT do any QC on the products manufactured in the Chinese factory and directly put the toys on the shelves.

I do see the WRONG done by the Chinese factory. But how about toy company? Should it be held accountable for the lead paint issue as well? Obviously, the toy company could've done something to prevent such things from happening. Pointing fingers ONLY at the Chinese factory doesn't sound fair to me. Both the Chinese factory and the toy company should be held accountable for the incident.

Even the toy company delivered an apology to China. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/22/business/worldbusiness/22toys.html

Originally Posted By: opus1

my guess is that like any other manufacturer, an offshore one (any offshore one) will scrimp and shave as far as they can get away with. The added twist is that our laws may not be able to go after them as severely as if they were based on US territory. The difference that you cite may hold true only because those compnents are more closely scrutinized as part of the installation process (at least I hope they are).

I guess nobody is forced to sign contracts with China. Those local North American companies are free to do business with any company in the world.

Don't like China? Fine. Don't deal with them.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
I looked at a bunch of them a few weeks ago, and almost everyone I looked in had the bypass spring installed crooked and off center, maybe 1 in 10 was centered.
Here is a thread to some pics, much better looking construction then the old frams, but Chinese QC is pretty much non-existent.
I'm glad I didn't take the free one they offered a few weeks ago with a jug of F1 oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1531285&page=1

Unfortunately, I took advantage of this particular deal and got a new MotoMaster oil filter for free. And I'm quite disappointed with the recall esp. after reading StevieC's thread.

This morning, I went to 2 nearby stores. The 1st one was not aware of such recall. The 2nd one was.

The store rep in the 2nd store acknowledged that there is a recall but not yet made official. They've pulled the problematic filters off the shelves but not all the models. Only some models have been pulled off and the rep didn't tell me what the models are.

I went ahead and wanted a refund of the oil filter but initially got refused. They argued that the recall hadn't been made official and they "are working fine". As I insisted, they agreed for an exchange. I picked a FRAM (sorry guys) and was surprised that they wanted charge me the 50 cents eco tax AGAIN!!

I asked to see the store manager and was fed a lot of [censored]. Finally, the store manager didn't want to argue with me for the 50 cents and I got the eco tax fully refunded.

There is no sign in either of the 2 stores saying there is a recall on the motomaster oil filters. I'm wondering if it is mandatory by law that the store must inform buyers of any recalls, esp AFTER they pulled off those problematic ones? I mean they already knew some models have quality issues but they don't put up a sign in their stores to warn/inform the people that had bought those models...

Last edited:

spankme2.gif

+1

31.gif

Airplane parts made in China made be manufactured on stringent standards, but items on a smaller scale such as toys, TVs and oil filters don't have the same quality control standards in place.

The track record for many made in China products have been well documented. Baby formula, some food products, toys, the list goes on.

But back on the subject of oil filters: my point is, if I am to choose between a $4 filter that is Made in China and a $6 filter made in the USA, I will spend the extra $2 to protect a machine that I paid $20k-$30k for it.

rocketman -- i was in a windsor store today, and looked on the shelves,after seeing your OP. nothing has been pulled from the shelves. i asked a woman at the parts counter about it, and i got the slack jawed, deer in the headlights look. so, i left.
you mention a store in southern ontario. can you be more specific ? southern ont. is a large area of land. thank you.

Who knows who "speced out" those "Motomaster" filters. Could be Canadian Tire just bought & sold some junk that was already designed & manufactured by who knows who.

A total recall of that many filters hardly meets "components manufactured in China, albeit to stringent standards."

I stay away form "off brand" filters unless I know they are really made by one of the top manufactures. You can sure buy 'em though ... if you want to.
wink.gif

It doesn't matter who at the end speced them! When Canadian Tire feels confident enough to slap their brand on it and sell it in their stores they've ultimately taken responsibility for the product.

I'm not arguing the apparent poor quality of these filters, what I'm trying to say is "Made In China" does not automatically translate to poor quality, the same way that "Made In USA" does not guarantee quality on its own either.

As I mentioned they manufacture thousands of components for Airbus and Boeing. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find Chinese components in the Space shuttle's electronics at all either.

This is not to say some manufacturers don't try to cheat their clients, but the onus is on the client (Canadian Tire in this case) to make sure they place their own QC somewhere along the chain to make certain the manufacturer sticks to their part of the deal.

Yes, The Chinese manufacturer is to blame, but I think Canadian Tire is equally, if not greater, to blame as well here!

BTW, as I said in the other thread I personally only use BOSCH filters. Not because they are "Made In USA" solely, but because they are a quality filter from a well respected company.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Actually, good 'ol FRAM is made in Canada AFAIK, and used to make the Motomaster filters for Canadian Tire.

Thank you for correcting me. I keep forgetting Canada is not U.S.'s 51st. state, yet!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: yeti
rocketman -- i was in a windsor store today, and looked on the shelves,after seeing your OP. nothing has been pulled from the shelves. i asked a woman at the parts counter about it, and i got the slack jawed, deer in the headlights look. so, i left.
you mention a store in southern ontario. can you be more specific ? southern ont. is a large area of land. thank you.
You have to remember each Canadian Tire is independently owned and operated so maybe this particular store isn't doing the recall.Never liked Moto-master filters,the Quaker State ones seem alright.I get my Filters from our sponsor Fleet-Filter.

greaser -- i know that the stores are independently owned. in the event of a recall of a defective product, logic dictates that head office would direct all the stores to pull said product from the shelves. it doesn't make sense that a given store would not participate in a recall. possibly, they weren't aware of the recall yet, or the parts counter woman was just stupid -- which would explain her reaction to my question.
as well, the OP is "assuming" that the pulled products are chinese made. who knows what's going on ? we'll find out soon enough.

I asked at my local store here in Ottawa, parts guy said they were aware of it, said the problem is the threads were not the right pitch on some of the filters, they are not sure which ones yet were affected, but said if they screw on your vehicle there is no problem.
They are the new chinese made filters that are affected.

It doesn't matter who at the end speced them! When Canadian Tire feels confident enough to slap their brand on it and sell it in their stores they've ultimately taken responsibility for the product.

So you think if a defective Motomaster filter was used, and it destroyed somebody's engine, that Canadian Tire would pay for a new motor without any quibbling?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back