Motomaster European formula no longer seems to have MB-Approval

Hi all, sometime in the last year I posted that in Canada, motomaster brand oil which is sold exclusively at Canadian Tire had come out with weights of oil specifically for European cars. The oil comes in 0w30, 0w40 and 5w40 variants. On the back of the bottle, these variants stated they meet or exceed the typical vw, bmw and mercedes standard... what got me interested in this oil, and why I started using it is for the fact that it said "MB-Approval xxx.x" on the back, versus just "MB xxx.x". Knowing that if it says "MB-Approval xxx.x", then it means that this oil must have been tested by mercedes and be approved on their bevo list... well, this oil isn't on there bevo list as of the last update on April 14, 2021, so I went on the Canadian tire website, and when trying to look at an image of the back of the bottle, each weight for the euro formula has the picture removed, and, in the description on the site, it no longer says "MB-Approval xxx.x", but rather "MB xxx.x"

So this got me wondering... why was this oil originally being advertised as "MB-Approval xxx.x", if it clearly isn't, since it's not even on the bevo website... I drive an old jetta diesel and have used this oil, and i'm a little bit irked by the fact that it seems like this product that was advertised as approved by Mercedes, now isn't... I'm not worried about it being a bad oil, my car runs just fine and i'm sure a UOA analysis would show that, and plus it's got 250k miles so i'm not concerened, but i'm more so annoyed... I wouldn't have bought this product had it not actually been approved for use in a mercedes (I know I drive a vw but if it's approved to mercedes standards i'm sure it would be vw approved too).

Here are the new links to the specific weights

Thoughts?

Edit: The 0w30 still seems to carry the MB-approval on the back of the bottle, but not the 0w40 or 5w40 (at least, there are no pictures of the back of the bottle anymore on the Canadian Tie website)

Last edited:
Shell has seemingly always worded the back of the bottle something like "approvals and recommendations" and then groups it all together so you never actually know what is approved and what is a recommendation - it is stupid. I've never used a Shell oil for any of my VAG vehicles for that reason.

Per above - the 0w30 is the only one made in Germany, along with the Quaker State and Pennzoil one, those oils are 100% rebottled Shell Helix Ultra ECT.

I would recommend you don’t rely on Canadian Tire for information. This is basically motor oil marketed by Shell Canada in jugs with the Canadian Tire name. Here is some 0w30 manufactured in Germany by Shell and as you said, have the MB approval because they did all that work in Germany. If they dropped the MB approval for the others it may be they are handling it like Pennzoil. Pennzoil uses the “ meets or exceeds” description. If that bothers a person, than perhaps move on. It doesn’t bother me. This has been discussed here numerous times.

C8982BF7-42F0-4A96-8010-FDBA1D1AD764.jpeg90C6621C-B34F-42AC-BD13-7C98F1FED2E3.jpeg073971AF-D5E7-4A5B-A71B-5368EB214CFD.jpeg

Last edited:
I would recommend you don’t rely on Canadian Tire for information. This is basically motor oil marketed by Shell Canada in jugs with the Canadian Tire name. Here is some 0w30 manufactured in Germany by Shell and as you said, have the MB approval because they did all that work in Germany. If they dropped the MB approval for the others it may be they are handling it like Pennzoil. Pennzoil uses the “ meets or exceeds” description. If that bothers a person, than perhaps move on. It doesn’t bother me. This has been discussed here numerous times.
Agreed!

View attachment 54711View attachment 54712View attachment 54713
Bother may have been a strong word to use... At the end of the day i'll still use the 5w-40 in my old VW, but i'll admit that "MB-Approval" is also a feel good for me, even though without it i'm sure it's a good oil.

To be honest, I'm also asking because i've had a disagreement with someone on another forum who claims the motomaster euro oils are garbage, as per his own so called "virgin oil analysis", which got me really annoyed, and one of my arguments for this oil is that the different weights have the "MB-approval" on them... anyways, the other person was making baseless statements with no proof to backup his claims, so it was a silly argument to have from the start

Sounds good. I am currently running Pennzoil Euro 0w30 because I was able to get the Pennzoil rebate last year but they apparently they stopped the rebate in Canada. With no rebate, the next most economical choice for the same product is Motomaster Euro 0w30 when on sale. I’ll be using that.

Last edited:
Just checked. Still approved by MB.
And still odd that it doesn't show up on the Bevo list despite the list being updated this month. As far as I can tell it's not on the dexos2 list either.

Even if it is the same as Shell Helix it still has to be listed under the brand name on the container. Where did you check and see that it's approved?

And still odd that it doesn't show up on the Bevo list despite the list being updated this month. As far as I can tell it's not on the dexos2 list either.

Even if it is the same as Shell Helix it still has to be listed under the brand name on the container. Where did you check and see that it's approved?
On the back of a current jug on the rack at the Canadian Tire store. Canadian Tire does not engage with Mercedes Benz regarding approvals. It is merely repackaged Shell motor oil.

On the back of a current jug on the rack at the Canadian Tire store. Canadian Tire does not engage with Mercedes Benz regarding approvals. It is merely repackaged Shell motor oil.
Ah, so the Canadian Tire/Motomaster product does not have Mercedes-Benz approvals then. "Engage" means actually obtaining approvals as opposed to not getting them?

Ah, so the Canadian Tire/Motomaster product does not have Mercedes-Benz approvals then. "Engage" means actually obtaining approvals as opposed to not getting them?
So this is my argument, if a bottle claims "MB-Approval" on the back, then as per Mercedes themselves, that oil has to be approved by them, and should appear on the bevo list... If it's not on the bevo list, it's generally speaking, not approved

So if the motomaster oil isn't geniunly approved, but the back of the bottle claims "MB-Approval xxx.xx" versus just "MB-xxx.xx", wouldn't that oil brand be liable for so called "false advertising"?

I'm asking from a liability standpoint, has nothing to do with motomaster euro being a good or bad oil

Read the writing on the Motomaster bottle. “ Meets or exceeds the latest requirements of:

Here is the back of a Pennzoil bottle ( Pennzoil is a Shell product) :

“Formulated to meet or exceed.”
“ Meets or exceeds the requirements of”
“ Exceeds Maserati”

If someone thinks Shell is lying, take them to court.

4DBC4C0B-5158-4C12-9B13-941024B9EDBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Manufacturers who make motor oil products for other retailers use their own Dexos number on the bottle. The number listed on the Motomaster bottle is D225AAD014 which is a Shell number. Motomaster is not required to have their own Dexos number. Go ahead and check other retailers for this.

Hi all, sometime in the last year I posted that in Canada, motomaster brand oil which is sold exclusively at Canadian Tire had come out with weights of oil specifically for European cars. The oil comes in 0w30, 0w40 and 5w40 variants. On the back of the bottle, these variants stated they meet or exceed the typical vw, bmw and mercedes standard... what got me interested in this oil, and why I started using it is for the fact that it said "MB-Approval xxx.x" on the back, versus just "MB xxx.x". Knowing that if it says "MB-Approval xxx.x", then it means that this oil must have been tested by mercedes and be approved on their bevo list... well, this oil isn't on there bevo list as of the last update on April 14, 2021, so I went on the Canadian tire website, and when trying to look at an image of the back of the bottle, each weight for the euro formula has the picture removed, and, in the description on the site, it no longer says "MB-Approval xxx.x", but rather "MB xxx.x"

So this got me wondering... why was this oil originally being advertised as "MB-Approval xxx.x", if it clearly isn't, since it's not even on the bevo website... I drive an old jetta diesel and have used this oil, and i'm a little bit irked by the fact that it seems like this product that was advertised as approved by Mercedes, now isn't... I'm not worried about it being a bad oil, my car runs just fine and i'm sure a UOA analysis would show that, and plus it's got 250k miles so i'm not concerened, but i'm more so annoyed... I wouldn't have bought this product had it not actually been approved for use in a mercedes (I know I drive a vw but if it's approved to mercedes standards i'm sure it would be vw approved too).

Here are the new links to the specific weights

Thoughts?

Edit: The 0w30 still seems to carry the MB-approval on the back of the bottle, but not the 0w40 or 5w40 (at least, there are no pictures of the back of the bottle anymore on the Canadian Tie website)
Do you really think that ANYTHING with canadian tire name on it would be MB approved?
Even if it was approved under Shell it doesn't mean that canadian tire can use that approval with their own name unless they pay for the privilege. On the jug it says Formulated for.... not approved by.....

Do you really think that ANYTHING with canadian tire name on it would be MB approved?
Even if it was approved under Shell it doesn't mean that canadian tire can use that approval with their own name unless they pay for the privilege. On the jug it says Formulated for.... not approved by.....
Are you planning on suing Shell? It says Formulated for European Vehicles on the front of the bottle. You want it to say Approved for European vehicles?

Last edited:
Are you planning on suing Shell? It says Formulated for European Vehicles on the front of the bottle. You want it to say Approved for European vehicles?
That's what the OP said, that it was "APPROVED" not I. I merely pointed out that it was NOT and that it said formulated only.

“ Formulated to meet or exceed” is the term for Pennzoil and “Meets or Exceeds” is the term Shell used for the Motomaster product. In both cases it’s equal to or better than an official MB approval. If anyone wants to dispute that, better call the lawyers. ;)

Last edited:
Back