BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.4
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 405
SUS VIS 210ºF 53.0
cSt @ 212ºF 8.17
FUEL ANTIFREEZE 0
TBN 3.1

COMMENTS: Copper and iron were a bit elevated in this first sample, but other elements look good. Averages show expected wear for this engine after 9,100 km on the oil. Your oil run was a little longer, but it probably wasn't long enough to explain the extra iron and copper. Iron shows wear at steel parts and copper comes from brass/bronze. Maybe they're accumulated from long runs -- that's entirely possible. For now they're just something to watch. They may end up being no problem at all. The TBN was fine at 3.1. No fuel/coolantfound. Try 10K miles again to monitor.

Thoughts? The truck is a short trip daily driver. 5.5 miles one way. The oil is holding up very well for being in an engine spec'd for 30 weight oils.

I did mess up the sample and took it almost instantly after I opened the drain plug, hopefully that didn't throw any numbers off.

I always take my samples first and then drain the oil during an OC. I always get good results in regards to wear numbers.

Resample to get more data.

I am liking to see this sample because I have a few jugs of this on deck probably for next fall when temps drop again (will use my conventional in summer)

Why the 20 weight in the VQ40?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

Why the 20 weight in the VQ40?

Mostly because of the short trips and my oil never getting up to temperature. No sense having even thicker cold oil.

Thanks for posting - don't see a lot of Motomaster oil samples.

Not bad for 11 months of short trips in Canada. Held viscosity and TBN well.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Thanks for posting - don't see a lot of Motomaster oil samples.

Not bad for 11 months of short trips in Canada. Held viscosity and TBN well.

Definitely. Makes me comfortable to use it to 0% OLM in my car.

Also, the filter was a run of the mill Fram Tough Guard and no make-up oil was used. The oil level was still full right before I drained it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.
With only a 5.5 mile commute that's a lot of cold starts in 10,700 kms! A good report considering.

I agree with your logic that the oil will not get fully up to temperature. BTW to you actually have an oil temp' or oil pressure gauge?

Just a suggestion, you may want to consider trying the Toyota 0W-20. It's only $5.70/L and being the lightest oil on start-up available and has a very robust AW package. I think it would work well in you application.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Thanks for posting.
With only a 5.5 mile commute that's a lot of cold starts in 10,700 kms! A good report considering.

I agree with your logic that the oil will not get fully up to temperature. BTW to you actually have an oil temp' or oil pressure gauge?

Just a suggestion, you may want to consider trying the Toyota 0W-20. It's only $5.70/L and being the lightest oil on start-up available and has a very robust AW package. I think it would work well in you application.

The truck only has a dummy oil pressure gauge and a coolant temp gauge.

I will eventually switch to the Toyota oil (I've already been researching it.), however, I found 2 old jugs of Castrol Syntec 5W30 that I'm guessing are about 3 years old that I'd like to use up first. So currently I'm running 4.4 liters of Syntec and 1 liter of Mobil 1 5W20, with a Pure 1 filter.

I've planned a couple of long road trips this summer so hopefully everything evens out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back