most techs recommended frequent oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed the amount of techs I encounter that swear by 3,000 and sometimes 5,000oci.
there motto seems to be oil is cheap. I agree with the motto but when you mention things like the owners manual says 7500 or 10,000 they respond with the manufacturer wants you to have to buy a new one in x amount of years.
I used to always do Dino oil every 5,000 the focus has gone about 5300 and I start to get anxious because I want to change it. And I do feel like 10,000 is am awful long time but the rational side of me says its completely doabe
. Amazing how you can feel both ways about a particular situation. I often wonder why techs dont usually agree to listen to the owners manual. Have you noticed the same trend?

The new oils are much better. Most techs possibly see the insides of many engines and most tech realize a 3,000 mile oil change turns to 5,000 or 8,000 miles and that is probably the only time the car gets its tires aired and fluids changed etc..

More business for them if it's 3k, and it's also old thinking.

Some engines like DI turbo may require a shorter OCI, but most engines should go much longer.

These techs are basically confirming that extra oil changes never hurt an engine. The opposite situation, too little maintenance must show up in their repair bays enough to convince them that more often is better.
frown.gif

I have no problem following the owners manual and ignoring the rote lessons of cars of the 1970's

I'm one of those that strongly believes that each vehicle needs to have its own particular OCI based on driving conditions.

Take my modified Nissan 240SX with a boosted SR20DET engine from Japan... The cat sits for a week or so and then idles for 10-15 to warm up and gets driven VERY aggressively for an hour or two around town then idles for 5 mins to cool down the turbo and sits again. After a few months and only 500 miles, the oil stinks of fuel and needs a change. No way I'll run this oil for 3,000 miles or more.

Your average Eco car driven economically can surely go what the manufacturer says it can.

Although margins are slim on OCs, upselling opportunities abound with concurrent 'free' inspections.
Not that that's a bad thing with some appliances I see lurching along the highways.
Note California has absolutely zero mechanical/safety inspections (save for biennial tailpipe sniffers).
crazy.gif

Also, most techs don't invest much time on BITOG after grinding out another day in the bay.

I think it's all hog wash. A mechanic knowing better than a manufacturer is just silly. Where did this 3,000 mile OCI come from in the first place? There is a lot of money to be made by frequent oil changes. Would GM, Ford , BMW etc. risk replacing multiple engines failures under warranty?

Look at the owner's manuals from the 60's, they recommend a 6,000 mile oil change and things have gotten better since then.
Find old manuals here.
http://www.oldirononline.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
Although margins are slim on OCs, upselling opportunities abound with concurrent 'free' inspections.

This is the real reason why they want you back in the shop often.

Some vehicles may indeed benefit from 3K oil changes. Most don't. It all depends on operating conditions, and mileage isn't always the best yardstick.

I run 3-4000 mile oil changes on my 99 Astro delivery van. Had intake manifold off and it was clean as whistle. Cleaner than most my mechanic said.

Severe service would warrant such changes IMO. Highway, not so much.

I think 3-5k should apply to most drivers actually ... a majority of people don't even open their own hood or check tire pressure between services, I service a few vehicles daily that have no oil on the stick when its brought in or completely clogged air filters...

Edit: And no I don't get paid more if I get more vehicles in the shop lol, its just my observation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I think 3-5k should apply to most drivers actually ... a majority of people don't even open their own hood or check tire pressure between services, I service a few vehicles daily that have no oil on the stick when its brought in or completely clogged air filters...

Edit: And no I don't get paid more if I get more vehicles in the shop lol, its just my observation.

I agree I see a lot of cars come in and nothing is ever checked by the owner . 2 people today came in to get tires aired up because the tire light came on.
I drive hwy but I am usually in a hurry and going pretty quick I am a spirited driver. My manual says up to 10,000 miles I know it's possible but it does make me leary. I put an engine in a dodge ram 4.7l last week the guy is a regular of ours and changed his oil every 7500 and the engine was not very clean. Not all smudged and caked up but definitely had some sludge tons of varnish very disappointing given the miles. He ran pennzoil in it and a couple of times he ran Motorcraft so I was shocked to see the results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsfalls

I agree with this. Sure most cars can go 7-10k on conventional and live very long...IF and only if the oil level is kept at a safe level.

For my friends who aren't car guys i recommend 3-5k mile oil changes. The main reason i do this is because i know they will not check it...ever. Everytime i check their oil at 3k miles its low. The safest bet for them it to change it. When they see the sticker that says its past due they recognize the need for a change. not once do they ever consider the fact that they should add any oil during that span. for this reason alone i promote 3-5k mile oil changes. For myself i change it by the OLM or in the case of my armada i can set it up between 3000 and 20000 miles. i set the reminder at around 10k with synthetics. the difference is i check the oil in my cars every couple of weeks, or more.

I was looking up a bulb size in the owners manual of my 1975 '02 and even back then BMW called for a 6,000 mile/6 month OCI...

Originally Posted By: CT8
The new oils are much better. Most techs possibly see the insides of many engines and most tech realize a 3,000 mile oil change turns to 5,000 or 8,000 miles and that is probably the only time the car gets its tires aired and fluids changed etc..

Excellent point....a BITOGer wouldn't be caught dead neglecting their vehicle, but there are thise out there that are not the least involved in any type of maintenance.

Leaving aside the fact that some people should not even OWN an automobile, instead of blindly saying "change the oil every 3,000 miles", how about "get the car serviced every 3,000 miles"? No need to dump perfectly good oil at every interval, but it certainly is a good time to check tires, brake fluid, etc.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Some vehicles may indeed benefit from 3K oil changes. Most don't. It all depends on operating conditions, and mileage isn't always the best yardstick.

^^^This.^^^

My experience in the bays of a tire shop show a motivational short-circuit. I didn't get flat rate pay for the free inspection so I raced through it. If I found a bad ball joint the master tech got the work; if I found a wiper blade I got the .1 hr to change it.

Every incentive system has its perversions.

Once you get past 5,000 mile it seems many oils lose their plaque preventing ability.

I just drained 10w40 super tech out of my chevy Colorado at 5,000 miles (designed for 5w30) which is rarely if ever runs that historically. That 10w40 really looked nice on drain out. I installed 5w30 for the winter.

One time I tried to do a long run with 15w40 Delo, it must have been 8 to 10,000 miles, I didn't like what I saw on drain out. I was putting about 25,000 miles per year so I needed to cut labor time.

However this vehicle has always been used as a service vehicle, no oil use at all at 128,000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back