Most Stout Off the Shelf 20/30 Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to see what people's opinions are on this. By stout I mean good add pack, TBN retention, shear resistance, etc.

One of my first thoughts would be M1 T&SUV 5w30. I've also thought about using ML 5w20/30. I am putting the car through some pretty severe service lately and really want something that can handle the pressure.

Not look for "this oil is best" answer..:) Just input!

I really like the add-pack in Maxlife oils - lots of moly and calcium for wear reduction and cleanliness.

Amsoil's offerings cover your requirments pretty well, all of them!

I'm assuming the original poster is referring to "off the shelf" to oil that can be purchased locally at the store, not through a catalog or dealer as these are considered boutique.

One of the most stout off the shelf oil is Pennzoil Platinum based on UOA's.

Last edited:
For some reason (wishful thinking maybe) I thought we might get into discussing a good very robust 20w30 oil.
crazy2.gif

Amsoil is available on some shelves now... But if you are talking about more mainstream then I would think Mobil-1 or Syn-Power.

Any reason PP hasn't been added to this list? Terry posted that the 10w30 is the most stable, lowest wearing mainstream oil on the market now. One with an excellent additive pack.

Last edited:
Though this is probably now a "retro BITOG" opinion, I'd cast my vote for German Castrol (GC), particularly the now un-findable green version (made up until the end of 2004 or so). The gold colored variant, made since then, appears to be just as good, however. But it's a thick 30 (nearly a 40, being over 12 cSt at 100F), so it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I just installed a fill of M0428... green GC in my '09 Camry Hybrid, and I can definitely see its thickness on the average fuel economy gauge (especially since the last fill was 0w-20 PP).

But, if you look back to some of our early days UOA, you can see some tremendous results on GC. I ran a fill of it in my wife's 2001 4.7L Sequoia for over 13 months and 10k miles, and it tested almost as good as new. An amazing oil by almost any measure.

Not as easy to get off the shelf, but in 20 grade oil Red Line 5W20, and Amsoil ASM 0W20 are close to a "thin" 30 grade oil.

Originally Posted By: daman
M1 10w30HM is a strong one..

YEA, what he said!
happy2.gif

That makes two of the three
43.gif
required!
All we need is a third M1-10W-30HM nutter to join, and we'll be legit!

German Castrol - "I haff Zee Oil" ("I know noooothing!")
Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage - "The Oil"
thumbsup2.gif

LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Originally Posted By: daman
M1 10w30HM is a strong one..

YEA, what he said!
happy2.gif

That makes two of the three
43.gif
required!
All we need is a third M1-10W-30HM nutter to join, and we'll be legit!

German Castrol - "I haff Zee Oil" ("I know noooothing!")
Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage - "The Oil"
thumbsup2.gif

LOL.gif

cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back