Most shear stable 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll guess that the 5W40 that racks up more miles with turbos is Delvac 1 / Mobil 1 T&S, even if they are turbo diesels.

I guess I'll give Castrol 5w40 a try. Does anyone know if the new American 5w40 is as good as the Belgium 5w40? Also is it grp III or IV?

quote:

Out of the commonly available oils in the U.S. that literally have 502.00 approvals, I haven't seen any that maintain their virgin viscosity in a 1.8T. These include Valvoline 5W-40, M1 0W-40, Pentosin 5W-40, Lubro Moly 5W-40, Motul 0W-40, Motul 5W-40, Syntec 5W-40.

Do you have data to substantiate your claim? You haven't seen any that maintain virgin viscosity in a 1.8t? Have you tried all of them and had a UOA done? You picked some pretty good oils to make such a bold claim. I have read about the M1 0W-40 shearing to a 30, but that's all I've read, and seen data on. Motul 8100 E-tech (Grp V ester based), or others aren't shear stable? Show some proof. I find that very hard to believe.

At the same time I see you're using castrol 5W-40. A dino in a turbo, if your 9-5 is a turbo? Not to start a big debate, but if one were worried about turbos, heat, and shearing...Castrol 5W-40 psuedo-synthetic (A group III perhaps) would be last choice.

Hope I didn't come across too strong. I'm not arguing, cause I don't know. But being a engineer myself (LC mass spectrometers), I need to say data to support such claims.

[ February 24, 2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: W8inDE ]

quote:

At the same time I see you're using castrol 5W-40. A dino in a turbo, if your 9-5 is a turbo? Not to start a big debate, but if one were worried about turbos, heat, and shearing...Castrol 5W-40 psuedo-synthetic (A group III perhaps) would be last choice.

---->I meant your 1.8t.

PS, over on passatworld, if you do a search on Motul, there have been lots of happy 1.8t owners who use it. You can also find a UOA on it from a 1.8t.

[ February 24, 2006, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: W8inDE ]

Another vote for Motul E-Tech 0w40. Been keeping my 12ltr stash(the stash that started it all..of my now 3 barrels, mainly A3/B3 oils)ever since..for my next new ride.
smile.gif

I agree with you greenjp. I think that M1 5W-40 is (was) a superb oil and Mobil chose to not pay for it to go through the 502.00 tests for marketing reasons as you said.

Yes I have used Redline motor oils and tranny oils in an 02' Subaru Impreza and had oil related problems...both in engine and transmission. I've posted the details many times before so won't retype it here. A VW 1.8T owner (and tuning shop owner in NYC) used Redline tranny oil and it leaked slowly at the seam of the tranny. Their Watterwetter gels up VW G12 coolant. That's why I warn people about Redline products...it's a risk. They don't test all of their products in all vehicles and they use unconventionial basestocks which is a recipe for trouble.

quote:

Does anyone think M1 5W-40 isn't equal to or superior than those oils listed by moribundman?

Well, I use M1 5W-40 in my Audi despite the lack of VW 502 approval, but Gilitar specifically asked for a VW 502-approved oil.

quote:

Could the reason for the lack of thse ratings for M1 5W-40 simply be Mobil's marketing plan? ie, they've got their "European Car Formula" 0W-40 that has all those specs, and while the 5W-40 in all likelihood meets or exceeds the same requirements

If I go to the US Mobil site and check what oil they recommend for my '96 Audi A4 (VW 500.00)they tell me M1 0W-40 or M1 15W-50 "may be suitable." But they don't commit.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back