Most secure online trading site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the extreme hacking that goes on against banks and retail these days, do we know which online stock trading site has the best security?

I guess I'm asking do we know or have an opinion on which online brokerage is most secure against hacking attacks? I wonder if anything is secure anymore given the sophistication of the attacks lately.

Most operate on Java and hence they are probably about the same. If they put in too many firewalls, it slows down the trade execution times.

The attacks aren't especially sophisticated - most of the bad stuff that happens usually boils down to incompetence - either small companies with small IT teams who don't know what they are doing, or large companies with cheap managers who won't let their IT staff do what needs to be done.

(Former IT security analyst for a large organization here)

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
The attacks aren't especially sophisticated - most of the bad stuff that happens usually boils down to incompetence - either small companies with small IT teams who don't know what they are doing, or large companies with cheap managers who won't let their IT staff do what needs to be done.

(Former IT security analyst for a large organization here)

...the things I hear on the /r/talesfromtechsupport subreddit seem to agree nicely with your statement.

So one like Fidelity that does NOT feature online banking ability might at least prevent hackers from jumping to your bank account (since there's no pathway)? If I understand what Fidelity means by no online banking....

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
So one like Fidelity that does NOT feature online banking ability might at least prevent hackers from jumping to your bank account (since there's no pathway)? If I understand what Fidelity means by no online banking....

My IRA is with Fidelity and while they don't offer online banking they do allow you to store your bank account information so if you sell shares you can have them transfer the money directly to your account. I've used it a couple of times myself, so I suppose hackers could at a minimum find out your bank's routing number and your account number.

OK. Your gonna have to get something straight here
Your banking choice won't make you immune to these "hackers" you so fear.
Your online payment choice won't either

If the boogie man wants your money, ways will be found.....

Your asking the same thing as people a week back when we found that Police/Homeland Security/Military were using rogue cell phone towers. And that somehow, those on POTS landlines were all superior and "safer" from "hackers" and the NSA. It just doesn't work that way.

Your asking for banking without computers
I'm sorry, but your just not gonna find a legal way to bank without computers.

I use TD Ameritrade, trades are $7 or 9 a clip, there are cheaper alternatives but I had a few other IRA's through TD so I kept it simple. Its pretty simple to use but still find myself calling the trading desk once a week.......

Last edited:
I have a standing policy not to take advice from people who use "your" when they should use "you're."

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Your asking the same thing as people a week back when we found that Police/Homeland Security/Military were using rogue cell phone towers. And that somehow, those on POTS landlines were all superior and "safer" from "hackers" and the NSA. It just doesn't work that way.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I have a standing policy not to take advice from people who use "your" when they should use "you're."

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Duly noted
Life tip. Those "professionals" you trust in life that can spell oh so well, have this magical piece of kit called spell check.
Take that into consideration, next time you call someone out on a (I admit) poor grammar choice. Someone who chose to take time out of there day to partake in the art of conversation, and attemt to shed there life's factual based views on question you asked.

Sorry......
[censored] shoot me

Does it not appear as if we are fooling ourselves if we believe that any networked device is 'secure'?

Pick the online trading site that makes feel the most secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back