Most resilient oil to GDI intake desposits please

Let's hear the experience and opinions flow.

What oil brand, viscosity, and spec is the most resilient to contributing to intake carbon deposits on GDI engines.

I've read many threads, on many forums, for many different types of GDI engines. There is consensus that a full synthetic (whatever that means...?) shows clear signs of reducing the intake deposits. I suspect because of syns tolerance to high heat and a higher quality base oil with lower noack.

It is not all due to the oil. How you drive the car is the bigger reason. Short trips are killers for GDI engines as they are for other engines as well. Lack of proper maintenance is another. Oil is just one part of the puzzle. You can run the very best oil but if you short trip all the time you will have problems.

Gasoline quality is another factor.

Ok I'll ask again.

Does anyone have any evidence that intake deposits on GDI engines really matter? That it's causing any problems? Not the completely full cannoned up engines, that's obvious. But the usually amount we see.

Sounds to me it's like bird poop on your car, people thinking it won't run as long.

Engine design has a lot to do with the deposit
situation.
Early GDI engines from Germany, Audi and VW in particular,
had a serious problem with deposits.
Some MFG's took that seriously and did manage to
slow or reduce the amount that gets on the valves.
It's still a problem however. As mentioned, stop and go driving
is a large factor.
Hopefully, engineers will improve the PCV systems so that deposits
are reduce even more.
With the use of turbos by almost everybody, the situation is getting
worse instead of better short term.
Getting hard to find a smaller engine without turbo these days.
Add in thinner oil (0W-16?) and who knows.
The reduction in power happens gradually so some, maybe many, won't
notice, at least until the rough running starts to bother them.
Us here, will notice sooner than later.

My 2¢

As low NOACk as you can find. Some people say a catch can help but really depends on the engine design. Audi and BMW engines show zero improvement from catch cans. Mercedes six cylinder designs with more efficient PCV systems seem to do pretty well.

Really the solution is a hybrid injection system like the newer Audi designs that spray a small amount of fuel on the intake valves. Everything else, just budget in $500 every 40k miles for a manual cleaning or learn how to take off the intake manifold and do it yourself.

What is an example of low noack oil?

I have been using synpower 5w30 in my GDI sonata for the past few years at 3750 intervals.

At 50k the car pinged so badly, I had to run a GDI cleaner through the engine while it was running.

It cleared up most of the pinging issue but about 10k miles later it still pings when the car is cold under load on 87 octane.

I also run techron at every oil change.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
As low NOACk as you can find. Some people say a catch can help but really depends on the engine design. Audi and BMW engines show zero improvement from catch cans. Mercedes six cylinder designs with more efficient PCV systems seem to do pretty well.

Really the solution is a hybrid injection system like the newer Audi designs that spray a small amount of fuel on the intake valves. Everything else, just budget in $500 every 40k miles for a manual cleaning or learn how to take off the intake manifold and do it yourself.

OR just save the $500 when you reach 100K miles and don't need to do the valve cleaning. I know two people with DI cars over 100K miles and neither has had any IV cleaning and the cars run fine. I'm just happy that BITOG has come around to the concept that DI can be different designs that are potentially impacted by different driving requirements/habits, different maintenance, different gas, and on and on. We're not all gonna die and people can't realistically be called "early adopters" if the new car market is now approaching 50% DI vehicles after going mainstream almost ten years ago.

The OP is looking for a blanket answer to a non-blanket answerable scenario.

Seemed like it was a popular layman's opinion to find a low SAPS oil with a low NOACK loss like M1 5W30 ESP.
I'm wondering if PP Euro L (available at WM) might also fit that bill, but I haven't seen NOACK info for those oils.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

Wrong. I’m asking for the experience of others with respect to what type of oil would be recommended in this application.

I’m not asking how to solve all of the problems inherent to GDI engines with a magic elixir.

This is an oil forum right?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Seemed like it was a popular layman's opinion to find a low SAPS oil with a low NOACK loss like M1 5W30 ESP.
I'm wondering if PP Euro L (available at WM) might also fit that bill, but I haven't seen NOACK info for those oils.

This is what I have learned across many forums thus far also.

The Euro flavours of PP look like excellent options. Unfortunately, Pennzoil won’t divulge their NOACK numbers, and they aren’t dexos approved. I have a nice bottle of their euro 0w40 sitting on the stash shelves.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
What is an example of low noack oil?

I have been using synpower 5w30 in my GDI sonata for the past few years at 3750 intervals.

At 50k the car pinged so badly, I had to run a GDI cleaner through the engine while it was running.

It cleared up most of the pinging issue but about 10k miles later it still pings when the car is cold under load on 87 octane.

I also run techron at every oil change.

Here is a perfect sample of “evidence” for those that claim there is none. A quick search online will come with many examples of GDI engines that experience symptoms of carbon buildup. This example is most likely a result of cylinder buildup decreasing volume which increases compression, for which a higher octane gas is now needed.

So Mobil 5w 30 esp is a good choice for a gdi?, I have an 2017 5.3 silverado. I want to stay with a Mobil product. But I have not decided on which flavor. I just changed the factory fill 0w20 and put in Mobil EP 5w20. I will run it for the upcoming winter and then switch to a 0w 30 or 5w 30 just haven't figured out which flavor from Mobil. I do some moderate towing and feel a 0w or 5w 30 would be a better fit.

My wife has been driving her 2013 SFS 2.0T since we bought it new in 2012, in stop-and-go Miami traffic. We occasionally take it on road trips but for the most part, 90% city driving. After almost 90K miles (GDi deposits usually appear much sooner) and running mostly (not exclusively) 93 octane with the following oils, i can report not one single drivability issue. I previously owned a 1.6L Veloster that was sold with over 80K miles. No issues either. Maybe the south Florida heat works in our favor.

Oil...........Times used
VSP 5W30......10
M1 5W30.......03
M1 0W30.......02
VWB 10W30.....02
Edge 0W40.....01
Delo 5W40.....01
Devlac 15W40..01
(Might have left out a change or two)

Not one issue except for fouled spark plugs when changed at 40K.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

Wrong. I’m asking for the experience of others with respect to what type of oil would be recommended in this application.

I’m not asking how to solve all of the problems inherent to GDI engines with a magic elixir.

This is an oil forum right?

Webfors said: "What oil brand, viscosity, and spec is the most resilient to contributing to intake carbon deposits on GDI engines?"

What I suggested as an unanswerable question is related to your specificity of oil brand, viscosity, and spec as it relates to carbon deposits. There's not one answer because GDI is not a monolithic block of technology with one design that's applied to the same engine.

I have a five year old naturally aspirated DI car where I use only synthetic oil, am cognizant of low volatility, and some other items that are more specific to my vehicle. Quality of the fuel may mean more to one vehicle than another with regards to carbon deposits. Same with weight or a singular spec. I seem to have no "inherent problems" in my DI car whereas turbo DI applications may likely have more. My suggestion was that an oil choice for "this application" doesn't necessarily mean anything without a specific vehicle.

GDI deposits have significantly more to do with engine design, ECU valve/injector timing, and fuel quality than with what oil you use. The overwhelming majority of engine manufacturers have GDI design figured out to minimize deposits. A poorly designed PCV baffle system or poor ECU mapping won’t be solved by running a low NOACK or low SAPS oil.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
GDI deposits have significantly more to do with engine design, ECU valve/injector timing, and fuel quality than with what oil you use. The overwhelming majority of engine manufacturers have GDI design figured out to minimize deposits. A poorly designed PCV baffle system or poor ECU mapping won’t be solved by running a low NOACK or low SAPS oil.

+1

Back