Most resilient oil to GDI intake desposits please

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Amsoil. They have photos to prove it. They also guarantee 100% protection against LSPI.

Links!
grin.gif

I mean, Amsoil is great stuff, but you’ll pay for it. If money isn’t an object, then it’s certainly a hard one to beat.

Signature Series is their best oil and it comes in all the different grades. I'm using the 5w20 in the Journey at 250F oil temperatures and my UOA shows almost all 0's. It looks spotless inside the engine from what I can see below the oil cap with my Boroscope. I'm itching for one of the spark plug tube seals to start leaking so I have an excuse to take the valve cover off.
20.gif

As for price with the preferred customer program and points it's just as cheap here as off the shelf synthetic. Talk to Pablo about pricing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Signature Series is their best oil and it comes in all the different grades. I'm using the 5w20 in the Journey at 250F oil temperatures and my UOA shows almost all 0's. It looks spotless inside the engine from what I can see below the oil cap with my Boroscope. I'm itching for one of the spark plug tube seals to start leaking so I have an excuse to take the valve cover off.
20.gif

As for price with the preferred customer program and points it's just as cheap here as off the shelf synthetic. Talk to Pablo about pricing.

Sub-$5 a quart cheap? Just curious. Top of the line big-brands can be had for that on roll-back.

Rough calculations puts it over $5 USD with the PC Membership and points program but I would argue that the TBN stays high and TAN stays lower longer in their oils because they are designed for really long OCI's so as long as a UOA would allow it might actually be less expensive when comparing the true cost of oil changes versus miles. Depends on the engine and I can't see US pricing, only Canadian pricing so it's really hard for me to be accurate. Talk to Pablo on this.
grin2.gif

In terms of protecting the engine I have every confidence that they know their stuff and the extra cost if any is worth it because Turbo's and LSPI are expensive to correct when it can be prevented.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I sure love the noack of ATM!
I also like the language around LSPI.

I used to use Amsoil exclusively for years, many a years ago.

I have been using it now for over a decade and the Santa Fe made it over 300,000 miles before it died of a broken camshaft in the non-lobe area. It also was spotlessly clean inside the engine. I did have to change it out earlier than I would have liked but it was because that engine was particularly hard on the oil and no fault of the oil itself because M1 and other brand names had the same issue in this engine.

I also used the Amsoil Multi-vehicle transmission fluid and it had the original transmission when it went to the scrap yard. Those transmissions were known to die with anything other than Hyundai/Mitsubishi rated Diamond SP-3.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I run M1 10W30 in my '17 Sonata GDI for these reasons : Low NOACK of approx. 6% and low Viscosity Improvers - both equate to lower intake deposits . I also run only top tier gas and use a bottle of Gumout Complete Fuel System Cleaner just before every oil change (5,000 miles) and drive mainly around the 'burbs in "Sport" mode to keep RPM's up over 2,000 RPM's while driving so the engine doesn't lug . *I've done all I can do to address intake valve deposits with the above approach , so far so good - but only 10,000 miles driven so far ...
Originally Posted By: webfors
Let's hear the experience and opinions flow.

What oil brand, viscosity, and spec is the most resilient to contributing to intake carbon deposits on GDI engines.

I've read many threads, on many forums, for many different types of GDI engines. There is consensus that a full synthetic (whatever that means...?) shows clear signs of reducing the intake deposits. I suspect because of syns tolerance to high heat and a higher quality base oil with lower noack.

Last edited:
ChrisD46,
I completely understand your logic for 10w30 in a non-turbo GDI, but the OP owns a GM 2.0T-GDI, IMHO, a dexos1Gen2 oil for it's timing-chain wear improvements and the assurance it passed LSPI testing would be higher on my list.
wink.gif

Granted, i don't know if GM's 2.0T has a LSPI history.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Granted, i don't know if GM's 2.0T has a LSPI history.

It does. 13' through 14' year models had a history of exploding engines. GM was great and replaced them under warranty.

Not sure if there were design modifications with the 15' onwards. I suspect there was since the power specs changed.

I agree, an oil that has that spec would be ideal for warranty purposes and to ensure protection against LSPI.

Reading over the camaro and malibu forums there is frequent mention of a GM TSB that mentions using only a full syn 5w30 D1G2 spec'd oil in the LTG.

I am having a hard time finding a copy of this TSB. Anyone now where I can find that?

I found this, but no mention of D1G2:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=198412

VERY interesting, never saw that bulletin before...it did not mention dexos1 Gen 2 because that was not a valid spec until September of this year and the bulletin is dated 3/1/17. Definitely LSPI related with the talk of piston damage and low calcium oils.

M1 5W30 and its EP flavor have been low calcium oils for some years going by various VOAs and UOAs.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I found this, but no mention of D1G2:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=198412

VERY interesting, never saw that bulletin before...it did not mention dexos1 Gen 2 because that was not a valid spec until September of this year and the bulletin is dated 3/1/17. Definitely LSPI related with the talk of piston damage and low calcium oils.

M1 5W30 and its EP flavor have been low calcium oils for some years going by various VOAs and UOAs.

I should review the PP UOAs to determine the calcium content. I used to scour the UOA section for years. It's been a while. Any idea what 'low calcium' implies?

I like the direct reference to M1's oils, even before the D1G2 spec came out.

Back