Most Reliable Cars of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by E365
For allegedly being so "durable", where did all these 15-20 year old Toyotas go?! They're incredibly rare here in a Minnesota. They've all rusted-out and broken down just like everything else.

They are so durable that I have spent more money on constantly overhauling suspension on Land Cruiser than actual vehicle. Not to mention constant issues on Toyota diesel engine in that vehicle (this is in Europe).

Originally Posted by Reddy45
That list is so yawn inducing. I get it.. simple is reliable.. but they're all just appliance cars.

That's all I need. I'm fine with simple. But what ones on this list are simple? They all look pretty fancy to me.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This thread is turning into another Toyota bash fest headed by the top critic

It is a balance between other threads like: I finally succeeded in my life, I am driving Toyota Camry, sport edition.
Not to mention ridiculousness of the article measuring something that barely exists.

Originally Posted by edyvw
For allegedly being so "durable", where did all these 15-20 year old Toyotas go?! They're incredibly rare here in a Minnesota. They've all rusted-out and broken down just like everything else.

They are so durable that I have spent more money on constantly overhauling suspension on Land Cruiser than actual vehicle. Not to mention constant issues on Toyota diesel engine in that vehicle (this is in Europe).
You knew that the Land Cruiser you claim to own had the "terrible" Toyota Diesel engine in it before you bought it. You supposedly bought it anyway, and you supposedly still have it, why? If you have spent more on a suspension overhaul than the actual vehicle, it must have been a cheap, old, high mile vehicle to begin with. Given the facts at hand, why are you complaining? Either there is something seriously wrong with you or you are a corporate plant put here to troll Toyota owners. Which one is it edy?
For the record E365, the ONLY 20 year old and older daily transportation cars still on the road around here are Toyotas, full size Buicks, and a few Ford Panthers. The reason that you don't see many older Toyotas on the road in Minnesota is because there aren't/weren't many of them sold outside of the larger metro areas there. It is the same situation in Wisconsin where I was born and raised.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
And not a single one I'd want to own.

Me either. *Maybe* the Miata.

I just recently sold my 22 year old 4Runner. I bought it new, and it has spent it's entire life on heavily salted roads, every winter. And on the Bonneville Salt Flats every summer/ Fall. No rust. Why? Because I went to the effort to clean it as often as necessary. Every make and model will rust/corrode if neglected.

The only repair it has needed in 22 years, was a hydraulic clucth hose. About 20 bucks and less than an hour of my time.

Since it was in like-new condition, I got top dollar for it.

The old and new 4Runners.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by super20dan
I will take a boring rock solid Toyota any day over a wallet buster anyday. there are enough problems in life with out having to add an unreliable auto to the mix. you can have your look at me auto. I will continue to own and drive Toyotas.

Color me green with unimaginable envy...

Originally Posted by wag123

You knew that the Land Cruiser you claim to own had the "terrible" Toyota Diesel engine in it before you bought it. You supposedly bought it anyway, and you supposedly still have it, why? If you have spent more on a suspension overhaul than the actual vehicle, it must have been a cheap, old, high mile vehicle to begin with. Given the facts at hand, why are you complaining? Either there is something seriously wrong with you or you are a corporate plant put here to troll Toyota owners. Which one is it edy?
For the record E365, the ONLY 20 year old and older daily transportation cars still on the road around here are Toyotas, full size Buicks, and a few Ford Panthers. The reason that you don't see many older Toyotas on the road in Minnesota is because there aren't/weren't many of them sold outside of the larger metro areas there. It is the same situation in Wisconsin where I was born and raised.

The vehicle was actually very good sample with few km's bought in Munich. Now, I do not mind getting vehicles that might not be my first choice bcs. they can offer something (in this case off road capability). How else I would know that some companies skipped lessons from Yugo? I would get Mercedes G, but then, real quality costs a lot of money and I am not there often enough to justify that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I saw a Camry TRD today. That car looked AWESOME!

It does but I could do without the rear spoiler.

Is it the Land Cruiser 70?

People say that it's super reliable because it uses old and proven technologies. But it's banned in the USA because it doesn't use unreliable ecological technologies.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vincenze

Is it the Land Cruiser 70?

People say that it's super reliable because it uses old and proven technologies. But it's banned in the USA because it doesn't use unreliable ecological technologies.

Nah, I drove 70 when I worked in NATO. It had 4.2 naturally aspirated inline 6 diesel engine and it was bare bone as it can get (we had few Lada Niva's that had more "luxury" stuff in it). That thing was serious off roader and due to simplicity there was not much to break. This is J120, same thing as Lexus GX470, just not that plush and 4cyl diesel engine in it.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I saw a Camry TRD today. That car looked AWESOME!

It does but I could do without the rear spoiler.

Camry's are know to need aerodynamic parts to keep it on the ground while flying 50mph in 75mph zone in left lane.

Nah, I drove 70 when I worked in NATO. It had 4.2 naturally aspirated inline 6 diesel engine and it was bare bone as it can get (we had few Lada Niva's that had more "luxury" stuff in it). That thing was serious off roader and due to simplicity there was not much to break.

The timing gears in the "outdated" engine.
They will probably last for 500k miles and 50 years unlike the chain in the "super reliable" Miata.

Nah, I drove 70 when I worked in NATO. It had 4.2 naturally aspirated inline 6 diesel engine and it was bare bone as it can get (we had few Lada Niva's that had more "luxury" stuff in it). That thing was serious off roader and due to simplicity there was not much to break.

They will probably last for 500k miles and 50 years unlike the chain in the "super reliable" Miata.

I think comparing vehicle like LC70 and Miata is not really possible. LC70 is basically utility vehicle and with that allows a lot of solutions that are reliable, but clunky etc.
Still, in that class of vehicles, I would take Puch G over LC70 any time for that kind of work. One thing that that diesel engine, like newer Toyota diesel too, did not like is very low temperature. When things go below -25c, you never know whether it will start or not.

Last edited:

Wow- driving a Land Cruiser for 50 years/500k miles is a level of automotive bliss I never thought I'd attain. I'm definitely scratching a Miata off my list.
Just one question; what Solo II class does the LC compete in?

Sometimes cars that you wouldn't expect to be rock solid reliable actually are. For example, my 2018 Corvette, which I've had for almost 2 years now and have put 17,700 miles on it. I haven't had a single problem with it whatsoever. Hopefully it remains this reliable for many many years to come
smile.gif
I did have very good luck with my 1998 Corvette too, it had only about $2000 worth of repairs in 9 years. My 2005 was also pretty decent too, I think I spent about $2500 in repairs in 4.5 years.

Originally Posted by Patman
Sometimes cars that you wouldn't expect to be rock solid reliable actually are. For example, my 2018 Corvette, which I've had for almost 2 years now and have put 17,700 miles on it. I haven't had a single problem with it whatsoever. Hopefully it remains this reliable for many many years to come
smile.gif
I did have very good luck with my 1998 Corvette too, it had only about $2000 worth of repairs in 9 years. My 2005 was also pretty decent too, I think I spent about $2500 in repairs in 4.5 years.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back