Most Reliable Cars of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Vincenze

The timing gears in the "outdated" engine.
They will probably last for 500k miles and 50 years unlike the chain in the "super reliable" Miata.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Wow- driving a Land Cruiser for 50 years/500k miles is a level of automotive bliss I never thought I'd attain. I'm definitely scratching a Miata off my list.
Just one question; what Solo II class does the LC compete in?

Come on. You're more astute than falling into brand envy/hate that some people (unfortunately) have. No one is buying a Toyota SUV to run around a roadracing track. If they're at least somewhat like me, they want the ability to get off the pavement, and explore some 4wd trail. Or maybe they just like it for it's higher riding position, or just like the looks. The beauty of it is that in this still somewhat free country, people don't NEED to justify a reason to buy what they want.

Wow- driving a Land Cruiser for 50 years/500k miles is a level of automotive bliss I never thought I'd attain. I'm definitely scratching a Miata off my list.
Just one question; what Solo II class does the LC compete in?

If you want to compete in a reliable vehicle, get an electric one.

2 or 4 electric motors, a battery, and an accelerator pedal. Very few things can break. Only the battery should be changed regularly, but it can be considered consumable like brakes.

Originally Posted by 02SE

Come on. You're more astute than falling into brand envy/hate that some people (unfortunately) have. No one is buying a Toyota SUV to run around a roadracing track. If they're at least somewhat like me, they want the ability to get off the pavement, and explore some 4wd trail. Or maybe they just like it for it's higher riding position, or just like the looks. The beauty of it is that in this still somewhat free country, people don't NEED to justify a reason to buy what they want.

My point was that comparing a motor designed to power an SUV to a motor designed for a lightweight sports car is pointless- a textbook example of apples and oranges. And for the record, I don't hate Toyotas; in fact, there are actually two models I could see myself owning(the 86 and Supra). That puts Toyota ahead of Cadillac, Buick, Kia, Lincoln, and Volvo- companies that don't make a single new vehicle I'd want to drive- never mind own.
As for buying what you like, when have I ever stated that people should not have the freedom to purchase whatever vehicle they want? Get whatever floats your boat. Just accord me the same courtesy.

As for buying what you like, when have I ever stated that people should not have the freedom to purchase whatever vehicle they want? Get whatever floats your boat. Just accord me the same courtesy.

My perception was that your post I quoted was sarcastic, and contrary to your "Get whatever floats your boat" comment above. Which is the sentiment I've usually seen you espouse.

Me, I always get a laugh out of brand fan boy/ hate threads. As you've also noted in the past, the brand hate is often spoken by people with limited or no first hand experience with the make/model.

My point was that comparing a motor designed to power an SUV to a motor designed for a lightweight sports car is pointless- a textbook example of apples and oranges.

But you're commenting on the topic that lists the Miata as the most reliable vehicle in 2020.

How the Miata's 2l 181 hp Direct Injection engine can be more reliable than the Land Cruiser's 4.2l 131hp diesel?
The second engine regularly runs for 500,000 miles.
The first one will need a rebuild after 100,000 miles.

My point was that comparing a motor designed to power an SUV to a motor designed for a lightweight sports car is pointless- a textbook example of apples and oranges.

But you're commenting on the topic that lists the Miata as the most reliable vehicle in 2020.

How the Miata's 2l 181 hp Direct Injection engine can be more reliable than the Land Cruiser's 4.2l 131hp diesel?
The second engine regularly runs for 500,000 miles.
The first one will need a rebuild after 100,000 miles.

What LC70 has to do with this list?
Also, Miata will crank at -25c and below. With LC 4.2ltr that is lottery.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
You actually think the Miata's engine will need a rebuild in 100k?

I don't see any evidence that would indicate such a short lifespan; after all, the lightly modified turbo GDI 2.3 liter I4 in my 2007 MS3 had 158k miles on it and was running great when I flipped it for the F22 back in 2016. It posted the same in-gear acceleration times at 150k miles as it did at 75k miles. I can't think of any modern mass produced engine that requires a rebuild at 100k.
Wishful thinking, perhaps?

Originally Posted by edyvw

Isn't it the list of the most reliable cars in the world according to Consumer Reports?
Or what is it?
If I understand correctly, you buy any car from the list, and it will run for 500,000 miles without any major maintenance. In 30 years, the paint will be in excellent condition, the transmission will be good, the engine will consume zero oil, the seats will look like new, the suspension won't need any overhaul.

Consumer Reports also lists the Jeep Wrangler as the most unreliable vehicle of 2020. But I imagine that it will survive longer that the Miata.

The lightly modified turbo GDI 2.3 liter I4 in my 2007 MS3 had 158k miles on it and was running great when I flipped it for the F22 back in 2016. It posted the same in-gear acceleration times at 150k miles as it did at 75k miles.

Do you have the same statistics about the 2020 Skyactiv engine? Does it have a proven history?
Consumer Reports says it's super reliable. How did it test it?

Last edited:

Do you have the same statistics about the 2020 Skyactiv engine? Does it have a proven history?

What statistics do you have that indicate it will only last 100k miles?
How did you test it?

How did you test it?

Yes, this should prove interesting.

How did you test it?

I didn't say it would last 100k miles.

As it's a DI engine, owners will have to regularly disassemble them and clean from carbon buildup.
Or they will dump the cars to the next owners and tell them, "It's the most reliable car in the world, so I haven't done any maintenance."

Originally Posted by PimTac

I'm also interested how somebody can put a mark "Super reliable or super unreliable" on a car without testing it for at least 15 years.

At least, the Land Cruiser 70 has been produced for 30 years. But even it becomes less reliable as Toyota installs newer less reliable engines.

Last edited:

I didn't say it would last 100k miles.

As it's a DI engine, owners will have to regularly disassemble them and clean from carbon buildup.
Or they will dump the cars to the next owners and tell them, "It's the most reliable car in the world, so I haven't done any maintenance."

You specifically stated that the Mazda " will need a rebuild after 100,000 miles."
As for DI engines requiring disassembly, some my need the valves cleaned with walnut shell blasting, but that is hardly considered to be "disassembly" In my case I've owned three DI turbos and none have required any valve cleaning- including the 158k mile MS3 I mentioned previously.
So, what evidence do you have that the Miata engine is prone to valve deposits that require disassembly? At what mileage?

You specifically stated that the Mazda " will need a rebuild after 100,000 miles."
As for DI engines requiring disassembly, some my need the valves cleaned with walnut shell blasting, but that is hardly considered to be "disassembly" In my case I've owned three DI turbos and none have required any valve cleaning- including the 158k mile MS3 I mentioned previously.
So, what evidence do you have that the Miata engine is prone to valve deposits that require disassembly? At what mileage?

I wonder how you can clean the valves with walnut shell blasting without a disassembly?
Don't you have to take out the valves? Maybe, it's possible without taking out the head, I don't know.

I checked information about the Skyactiv engine. It's actually not rebuildable as the block is aluminum. You just buy a new one.
---
Here is a forum about problems with the Miata NC: https://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=119
230 pages of different problems.
Of course, there are fewer problems with the ND as it's still under warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

Isn't it the list of the most reliable cars in the world according to Consumer Reports?
Or what is it?
If I understand correctly, you buy any car from the list, and it will run for 500,000 miles without any major maintenance. In 30 years, the paint will be in excellent condition, the transmission will be good, the engine will consume zero oil, the seats will look like new, the suspension won't need any overhaul.

Consumer Reports also lists the Jeep Wrangler as the most unreliable vehicle of 2020. But I imagine that it will survive longer that the Miata.

Less than 3% of population and people think that constitute the world.

I don't see any evidence that would indicate such a short lifespan; after all, the lightly modified turbo GDI 2.3 liter I4 in my 2007 MS3 had 158k miles on it and was running great when I flipped it for the F22 back in 2016. It posted the same in-gear acceleration times at 150k miles as it did at 75k miles. I can't think of any modern mass produced engine that requires a rebuild at 100k.
Wishful thinking, perhaps?

Toyota 2.2ltr D-4D engine. Needs rebuild, if damage is not too big, after 100k but kms, not miles.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I'm also interested how somebody can put a mark "Super reliable or super unreliable" on a car without testing it for at least 15 years.

At least, the Land Cruiser 70 has been produced for 30 years. But even it becomes less reliable as Toyota installs newer less reliable engines.

So, where we can go and buy LC70?

I haven't seen any data on Skyactiv engines and valve deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back