Most pumpkin pie contains no pumpkin at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use real pumpkins sometimes in our family but it takes a few weeks of buying, cooking and then freezing the pumpkin in the weeks before to make sure you have a good batch of pumpkin for the pie on thanksgiving.

Better to buy one at the grocery store, most people are too full on Thursday to eat it any anyway.

My mom still makes pumpkin pie from genuine pumpkins, but pie made from squash is pretty tasty also.

It DOES use real pumpkin, just not the kind we think it does. MOST pumpkin pies contain one of these

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They are all gourds, so the FDA doesn't care about the difference between squash and pumpkin. There are reasons for squash being used: they look and taste better than your normal orange type pumpkin. The latter is pretty terrible. If you want real canned pumpkin, you cab buy Libby's which is 100% pumpkin. They created their own cultivar that is more pleasing than regular pumpkin and on par with squash.

Jack o'lanterns make lousy pie. They are nearly flavorless. Lotta work too. Butternut or Blue Hubbard is far better tasting and way easier to process by hand. Mostly the flavor is from spices.. Mum and Dad were organic gardee pie makers. Even the little Acorn squash needs butter and sugar to gussy it up.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
They are all gourds, so the FDA doesn't care about the difference between squash and pumpkin. There are reasons for squash being used: they look and taste better than your normal orange type pumpkin. The latter is pretty terrible. If you want real canned pumpkin, you cab buy Libby's which is 100% pumpkin. They created their own cultivar that is more pleasing than regular pumpkin and on par with squash.

My mother used to bake all kinds of pies being raised in a bakery. When it came to pumpkin she always opened a can of Libby's. The consistency and flavor was the reason. She said regular pumpkin could never taste that good.

I think most people who have ever made a pie from a real pumpkin, realize that the pumpkin they use doesn't look like the bright orange ones that we put on doorsteps, launch from a trebuchet, or carve jack o lanterns from. In fact they look far different.

It was news to me at one time, but we made our own pies from locally fresh grown pumpkins and learned.

Here's a link about it.

http://askflorine.com/2013/10/squash-or-pumpkin-is-there-a-difference-incl-recipes/

Really just a nomenclature matter relative to squash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back