most powerful self propelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never met a mower yet that didn't yield to wet grass and hills. I need a mower with the most power, what mower?

The problem isn't in the amount of HP or torque, it is that clippings are getting stuck to the deck of the mower and the blade is constantly hitting it causing it to bog down. An old landscapers trick is to get the underside of the deck really clean then spray PAM on it. It will reduce the amount of grass sticking to the underside. I did it all the time to my commercial mowers on days when I knew the grass would be wet. Worked pretty well for a few hours but then it wore off.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
The problem isn't in the amount of HP or torque, it is that clippings are getting stuck to the deck of the mower and the blade is constantly hitting it causing it to bog down. An old landscapers trick is to get the underside of the deck really clean then spray PAM on it. It will reduce the amount of grass sticking to the underside. I did it all the time to my commercial mowers on days when I knew the grass would be wet. Worked pretty well for a few hours but then it wore off.

yes I do spray it with pam. helps some, not enough. need a 15-20hp self propelled

There are no regular 20"-22" mowers in the 15-20 HP class. To get that much power you have to step up to a full size walk behind. A 33"-36" deck is probably the smallest deck you will be able to get in that power class. That said, mowers that large will not have problems with hills or tall grass. My 15 HP 48" Great Dane will cut grass over a foot tall and loves hills.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
There are no regular 20"-22" mowers in the 15-20 HP class. To get that much power you have to step up to a full size walk behind. A 33"-36" deck is probably the smallest deck you will be able to get in that power class. That said, mowers that large will not have problems with hills or tall grass. My 15 HP 48" Great Dane will cut grass over a foot tall and loves hills.

I might be better off with a string trimmer type mower for 350 bucks

Maybe tweak the govenor on the one you've got? An extra few hundred rpm can make a big difference. I used to put a few leaves on the top of my Dads lawnboy to get the rpms up a bit and have it cut as fast as I could walk.... 20 years later I'm using the same mower but I skip the leaf trick, it is getting a bit old after all!

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I might be better off with a string trimmer type mower for 350 bucks

Test one out before buying if possible. Some of them run ridiculously slow for safety reasons and are not really as useful as they look. The Powermate field trimmers I have used were a big disappointment.

I had a Snapper push mower that was more powerful than most. Check their website to see what's offered.

Or...

Get a free mower with a bad engine and buy one of the 6hp Chinese diesel engines that are sold on eBay. They're like $600, but a powerful diesel push mower would be freekin sweet. I suppose you could just put a bigger B&S on it too, but diesel is cool.

My Troy-Bilt P.O.S when it did actually move by itself, was pretty strong. It also has 4 gear selections, it didn't bog down with wet grass either. But, unfortunately I've come to learn that Troy-Bilt sucks, so their goes my suggestion. lol

Yeah... I own both a push mower and snowblower made by MTD.

I think my Craftsman push mower will last a while, but it's very basic and has a nice Briggs engine and no drive system to break.

My Troy-Built 3090 snowblower has a seemingly generic 357cc Chinese motor. The good news is I got a powerful 30" snowblower for $850. The Husqvarna and Simplicity models cost twice that. It seems kind of flimsy, but the price was right. We'll see how long it lasts.

Still, I'll probably get a Honda or Husqvarna walk-behind mower next time around.

Never say never.

You have met a self-propelled mower that will not yield to wet grass and hills!

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I guess my suggestion is out of the running!

Originally Posted By: fxrider
http://lawn-mowers.findthebest.com/l/9/Bob-Cat-Classic-Pro

I meant a reg type mower. not an amish flat tracker

it;s actually too large

The governer trick may work good, or a lawn mower with the hose attachment to rinse out the deck (even thought I've heard they don't work very well I think you have to rinse everytime you use it), or put a 1 inch shorter blade on your existing mower so it doesnt bind.

If you are looking for a 21" powerful mower, look around ebay or craigslist for a used Lawn Boy 2 stroke. It is my understanding, that the 6 1/2 HP ones, were the most powerful 21" mowers produced. I have (two) 6 1/2 HP Duraforce versions which regularly cut grass over the wheel heights, without stalling.

With the 2 stroke mowers, you get the added bonus of being able to cut up any grade of incline without engine lubrication starvation.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
If you are looking for a 21" powerful mower, look around ebay or craigslist for a used Lawn Boy 2 stroke. It is my understanding, that the 6 1/2 HP ones, were the most powerful 21" mowers produced. I have (two) 6 1/2 HP Duraforce versions which regularly cut grass over the wheel heights, without stalling.

With the 2 stroke mowers, you get the added bonus of being able to cut up any grade of incline without engine lubrication starvation.

Plus, these have excellent rear wheel drive that really puts the traction down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back