most powerful self propelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Best F100
If you are looking for a 21" powerful mower, look around ebay or craigslist for a used Lawn Boy 2 stroke. It is my understanding, that the 6 1/2 HP ones, were the most powerful 21" mowers produced. I have (two) 6 1/2 HP Duraforce versions which regularly cut grass over the wheel heights, without stalling.

With the 2 stroke mowers, you get the added bonus of being able to cut up any grade of incline without engine lubrication starvation.

+1
Lawn Boy 10550 is my all time favorite, it has the personal pace infinite variable speed and the 6.5 horse engine. If you jet them a little rich, they have even more grunt. They are usually goverened at 3200 or so, but are happy at 3600. When I re-jetted mine and set the gov. at 3600, I could cut grass at wheel height without it slowing down more than the mechanical sag in the system.
Nearly my whole yard has a slope of some kind, so I shudder to think what I am going to eventually replace my "2 smoke" with.

Last edited:
My 21" Snapper commercial mulcher has a ton of power. It's got a Briggs 850 "Professional Series" engine on it. The drive system is great on it too.

Joel

IMHO the Toro 21" Commercial Recycler mowers are the strongest available but they are VERY expensive and they are VERY heavy. They are built like a tank and would be the last mower anyone would ever need to buy.
A significantly more affordable option (but still not cheap) would be the Honda HRX series 21" homeowner mowers with the 190cc engine. They are strong running mowers.

The Toro Proline with a two stroke Suzuki engine. They are no longer available because of the emissions standards but you can find them occasionaly on CL. They sold for around $1,ooo dollars new 10 years ago! Expect to pay between $300.00 and $500.00 for a good used one. Thanks

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Originally Posted By: Best F100
If you are looking for a 21" powerful mower, look around ebay or craigslist for a used Lawn Boy 2 stroke. It is my understanding, that the 6 1/2 HP ones, were the most powerful 21" mowers produced. I have (two) 6 1/2 HP Duraforce versions which regularly cut grass over the wheel heights, without stalling.

With the 2 stroke mowers, you get the added bonus of being able to cut up any grade of incline without engine lubrication starvation.

I have the Lawn Boy Model # 10552 which is essentially, the same as you do + electric start. When they won't start, (or idle irratically), people put these mowers on the curb, come trash day. Usually, all they need is a new coil, or a rejetting, as you stated. They have "goo gobs" of power and leave your lawn with that baseball outfield look. They only weigh around 80 lbs, so you can easily "toss" them in the back of your pickup truck by yourself.

My "backup" Lawn Boy is the model # 22261. This is the highly coveted, 6 1/2 HP, landscaper commercial version. It has orange STEEL wheels, and an orange full gallon gas tank - so you can cut "all day" without refueling if you like. I keep this one under a plastic cover (like your mom used to keep her living room sofa, back in the day). Anyone who shells out $1000 will make me sell it.

Use a good synthetic 2 cycle oil (I'm using from my stash of Mobil 2T and Mobil 1 MX2T) and these mowers will last a longggg time - so you can hand them down to your kids.

Now that everyone knows what mowers to hunt for, happy hunting!

+1
Lawn Boy 10550 is my all time favorite, it has the personal pace infinite variable speed and the 6.5 horse engine. If you jet them a little rich, they have even more grunt. They are usually goverened at 3200 or so, but are happy at 3600. When I re-jetted mine and set the gov. at 3600, I could cut grass at wheel height without it slowing down more than the mechanical sag in the system.
Nearly my whole yard has a slope of some kind, so I shudder to think what I am going to eventually replace my "2 smoke" with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back