Most miles per tank

For my Easter trip home and back, I drove 556.9 miles on a tank of gas in the Camry, my farthest ever. I still had about 2 gallons in reserve (as I filled up five or so miles after 0 miles to E, and 30 or so after the fuel light came on, with 14.5 gallons, totaling 38.3 mpg), so I could've gone 600+ miles on that tank with a bit of fuel to spare. This was mostly 70-77 mph with the a/c on, driven pretty efficiently but with no particular pains taken (and little wind for most of the trip). I used Phillips 66 E10 87 from the same pump for both fills, but could've likely squeezed a touch more out with ethanol-free 87 if I'd known I was going for a record (that's a fuel I've never tried in the Camry; it's all been E10 87 every time). I'd gotten back to town on the single tank, and it was late in the evening, but otherwise would've pushed for 600 miles, a number I have not yet achieved. What's your record mileage on a single tank?

Image 4-4-21 at 10.34 PM.jpg
IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5934.jpeg

Last edited:
Does the 2.5 in your Camry make decent power when needed? I imagine your MPG would have been slightly worse if you had the V6.

Around 600mi per in my 300d and my Ram CTD. I figure my accord hybrid getting a lot more than that is t a fair comparison... All my other cars have different tank to mileage ratios and don’t go as far.

The thing with going that far between fuel stops is that it really isnt that good for you. Getting up, moving, etc. every so often is important.

Does the 2.5 in your Camry make decent power when needed? I imagine your MPG would have been slightly worse if you had the V6.
It makes plenty of power (178hp, I believe) - 0-60 is in the 8-second range, but that's probably not what this car is truly about. It's competent about getting up to speed when needed for passing/merging/etc., and does a decent impression of a baby V6, in my opinion, when pushed. It's certainly not anemic, and doesn't usually need to be pressed or stressed in daily driving.
The new Camrys are rated at 200hp for the I-4 but I don't think they are too much faster (though they are rated 28 city/39 highway (vs my 25 city/35 highway); I can easily beat the EPA estimates on this car, though.

On my '03 Civic EX 5MT, my record is 453.6 miles. Tank is 13.2 gal, I used 10.577 gal on that tank for a 42.9 MPG average. Could've easily broken 500 mi if I pushed it further, but I really didn't have that option or motivation at the time. The car is rated 38 MPG highway and typically, my highway mileage was closer to 38. Everything came together just so to make that 42.9 happen, I guess. ;)

We will be leaving for FL this weekend in the Altima 2.5(w/65K) in my signature. However, we will have the car loaded up with our belongings and traveling through some hilly areas of the northeast from NY down through PA, VA etc., all the way to Tampa.

We'll see how it goes! I mean, I'm using a good oil(RGT 0w20) and new tires(P7 as+) so those should help. Tires have about 5K miles on'em and the engine is EPA'd for 27/38/31. And has an 18 gal tank.

Last edited:
My best for my fleet--
Passat 2.5L 667.3 miles from 17.1 gallons of gas (39.1 mpg)
4Runner 4.0L 452 miles from 19.8 gallons of gas (22.8 mpg)

Both of those were achieved doing 55-60 on 2 lane highways.

I recall getting 853 miles on a tank, something like 50+ mpg, but that was on my TDI. On snow tires (I made sure to adjust for the smaller tire in that math). That car did its best in winter I think, or maybe it was spring/fall, but it did not suffer the mpg drop my gassers have in the middle of winter. Summer was its worst though: I guess a/c takes a lot of power.

New tyres are no help in getting good mileage, worn tyres do better.
I get'cha 👍🏼
However, I needed new tires(spring 2020) and I see no difference in MPG between these newish P7s and my ol'worn OE MXV4s. These Pirelli's are quite fuel efficient. They were removed for winter 2020-21 and I just reinstalled them. There is ~ 4K-5k miles on them so, I'd say they're at least worn-in. 🙂

^^^Edit:
Due to being on the road out of state, I am filling up the tank when it's convenient in case of traffic holdup. However, my first tank of gas was 38 mpg hard reading, which is right at my EPA(27 city/38 hiwy with 31 comb). This second tank is showing 40+ but I haven't filled up yet in order to double check my hard reading compared to the cars reading.

The trunk and back seat are both full of our stuff/gear and we've been keeping up with traffic at ~10 mph above the speed limits in all states. The car is performing as expected. Just using my EPA & actual, I could possibly get over 684 miles on a tank of gas.

461 miles and just barely hit reserve upon arrival. This was on a long road trip from San Jose to San Diego, CA. 1992 Thunderbird LX, 3.8 V6. Slick shape, long overdrive gear, 1 warmup cycle and very little stopping. 32 MPG if I recall.

Back