Most Fun Car to Drive - what's yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started to ask a question about the best car to give the 'old British sports car experience' today. However, I got to thinking that might not be everybody's most fun car experience.

So, what is you most fun car to drive and why?

For me, the 'old Brit sports car' question get's close to answering the question for me. I'm not sure, however, that the answer would be the real thing - an old MGA? The new thing like a Miata or S2000? A hot hatch - my MINI Cooper S convertible was sure a hoot? A sports sedan like a Bmw 2002 or M3? A super car like a Lambo? They all have an allure to me so I can't answer the question for long
wink.gif

M5. That's one of the reasons I bought one, LOL. Though a close second, but for completely different reasons is a fox body Mustang; something 87-93 with a warmed-over 5.0L.

Nothing compares to an old VW Beetle for what real "driving" is all about.Manual steering,manual brakes,manual transmission,a noisy engine,lightweight front end and quick steering geometry,4 wheel torsion bar suspension,smelly heater channels...very few other cars can remind you what "driving" used to be like....today,all the cars/trucks/SUVs insulate you so bad you might as well be driving a video game.

Never had a Beetle, but I sure did have fun in my first car: a '71 Ford Pinto hatchback.

That macho 2.1L was the ground-based version of the Saturn V rocket...

...well, maybe I exaggerate just a bit.

A big pickup with a manual transmission and a diesel.

Yeah, probably not at the top of many "most fun" lists, but I just love driving pickups like this.

Until recently my cousin had an '00 F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3L Powerstroke and a 6-speed manual with a super low gear. I absolutely loved driving that truck. It was loud, rough around the edges, and a mile long, but it would scoot when empty with all that torque and could pull a house down. The low gear wasn't even usable really if the truck was empty. I've driven all sorts of passenger vehicles, but nothing that put an ear to ear grin on my face like that truck.

BTW - When I worked for my cousin, my usual truck was a 2006 F-250 6.0 diesel with a 5-speed auto. The '06 had more HP and torque than the '00, but it was boring to drive in comparison. There's nothing wrong with how the automatic worked, it just lacked some fun factor the 6-speed had.

Last edited:
My 91 Honda Prelude. Manual trans with the 4WS. Throwing that car down a curvy country road can make you laugh out loud. I understand about the big ol' truck as well. Puts a big smile on my face to drive one like that.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
M5. That's one of the reasons I bought one, LOL. Though a close second, but for completely different reasons is a fox body Mustang; something 87-93 with a warmed-over 5.0L.

I second the five-oh mustang. Anyone that doesn't agree has never dumped the clutch in a "warmed over" fox body. For different reasons, I also enjoyed driving my Lincoln Mark VIII very much.

Originally Posted By: morris
a 1963 chrysler 300J 500 ci maxi wedge, would do 125 mph in 2 gear.

See? Who needs CVTs...

A Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor ... it doesn't even compare to my Toyota Corolla. The CVPI's are simply amazing vehicles.

I had a 92 Mazda mx3 1.8l v6 it was pretty fun 5sp hi performance tires but most fun vehicle was the 91 silverado 4x4 350 man I loved smoking the tires. I'm thinking of buying a wrangler in the next few months i bet it'll b a lot of fun to.

An MGB would be a practical, easy to fix and reliable journey into olde English motoring, as well as being fairly inexpensive.
My current 318iC is a good modern analog for an old MGB.
It rides hard, it's loud and the top is rattly, which my MGB's wasn't.
The top is also quite rain-proof, while my MGB's wasn't.
It also has good AC, which my MGB didn't.
It didn't have AC at all.
Still, the BMW has the same displacement as the MG, within 2 cc, it has a similar exhaust note, as well as similar fuel consumption.
It is much faster than the MG was, although neither shifter nor clutch are as pleasant.
Still, an e30 or e36 convertible has a great deal of old time Brit charm, even though they may speak German.
These BMWs are also fairly inexpensive, maybe undervalued, and certainly less money than a decent driver quality MGB.

Whilr I was in high school over 25 years ago I bought a '67 Ford Falcon, powder blue with a three on the tree for 150 bucks. Every panel was bashed in from the previous owner getting caught in an ice storm. I added a "turbo glass pack" for audio effect, you could definitely feel the ride in that one.

I sold it for 150 bucks a couple of years later, after putting many miles on the frozen lake over two winters.

My '74 Triumph Spitfire 1500 was a lot of fun.

It handled better than any car with P155/80R13s should and it sounded better than any cast iron OHV 4 cyl deserves to.

One row through the gears and you realize that the Brits could actually build a nice manual. Much more precise than any 914 and much shorter throws than any BMW from that period.

The 4.11:1 rear end ratio and having your bottom scant inches from the pavement made it actually feel quick. It wasn't. It was slower than Christmas and with the electronic overdrive on it ran at about 2600rpm at 55mph. About 3000 with the O/D off. 70mph was quite loud.

But mainly it was the feeling of rolling around on a nice twisty road, top down, cool crisp Autumn day, listening to the little pushrod 4-banger through the Falcon stainless exhaust.... all is well in the world. Passing MGs and Triumphs give you a wave. It's cool.

....then I ruined it.

I drove an MX-5 Miata.

It did everything the Spitfire did....better. Much better. Except for sound. Mazda allegedly sampled the sounds of various British roadsters while tuning the exhaust. And they still didn't get it right. But handling, shifting, accelerating, braking....all better. Plus, when it gets hot, you can put the top up and run the A/C.

So ideally, I would have an S2000 or MX-5 Miata that looks and sounds like a Triumph.

But then there was the Dodge Daytona TurboZ C/S.
It was "wrong wheel drive". It was rather large and heavy. Roughly the same size as the V8 powered 3rd gen Camarobird and Fox body Mustang. But oh, was it fun. Get the boost needle wiggling around in the red, somewhere I guess around 8 or 9 psi and the car would rocket away. Stuck pretty good in the corners too. And the T-Tops added to the open air motoring fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back