Most Fuel-Efficient Cars (That Aren't Electric or Hybrid) -CARandDRIVER

Wow. That is some pitiful mileage for all of those. The Corolla hybrid gets 52!

I understand this is a list of legacy technology cars but I don’t know why anyone is buying non-hybrid cars now. Hybrids are smoother, more powerful, quieter, cheaper to maintain, and save a ton on fuel. If you compare the non-hybrid Corolla vs the hybrid version, a driver will spend an extra $5600 on gas (at $4/gallon) to get to150K miles.
Have seen videos of 60+ for the PRIUS sedan .

The RIOs , ACCENTS and VENUE get very good gas mileage , but they produce soot due to the G.D.I.. Wasn't aware until after the purchase . From tailpipe .

IMG_4634.JPG

Funny how antiques like a Subaru 360 could get a real 60mpg but we can’t do it anymore
Back then you can lean burn and produce lots of NOX and nobody would care, they are regulated now.

Also we are wealthier now so we don't want PM / soots, HC, and NOX in our backyard, we want everyone to pay so they are relocated to someone else's backyard. NIMBY all the way as we are just humans.

Plus people want bigger nicer rides as gas were cheap in the last 2 decades other than a short time around 2008 and now (both war related), so people want bigger and bigger rides, nobody wants econobox now, just CUVs and crew cabs.

Why do you think many domestic "car" companies aren't even selling sedans anymore?

Last edited:
I think that is something else we have not been told the whole truth and what the actual consequence of the so called manipulation was about.
I am not talking about articles or main stream media, they will say what they are told to say/print.
VWs cheating was found many years before by a college student who was quite mad and it escalated through the university.

I remember talking (arguing) about cheating VWs on the forums years before it became a legal issue, my take was that I rather have better MPGs and emissions reliability which enraged my peers there.
and my guess is everybody probably knew but turned a blind eye.

The governments relationship with companies
It’s sort of like the old man that doesn’t care what you do as long as your not stupid enough to get caught.

My views on NOX outside an inversion zone are that it’s far better than the immense destruction caused by using more fuel.

VWs cheating was found many years before by a college student who was quite mad and it escalated through the university.

I remember talking (arguing) about cheating VWs on the forums years before it became a legal issue, my take was that I rather have better MPGs and emissions reliability which enraged my peers there.
and my guess is everybody probably knew but turned a blind eye.

The governments relationship with companies
It’s sort of like the old man that doesn’t care what you do as long as your not stupid enough to get caught.

My views on NOX outside an inversion zone are that it’s far better than the immense destruction caused by using more fuel.
Yes, it was found in college, West Virginia University, but they were under contract by a European non-profit that was comparing EU emissions standards to the US emissions standards, where WWU lab found a major discrepancy between test conditions.

WVU didn't rat this out to the EPA. The EPA was in attendance when they present their study findings.

Funny how antiques like a Subaru 360 could get a real 60mpg but we can’t do it anymore

I owned one. They don't, not in real driving conditions with the little 2-stroke engine screaming its guts out in a hopeless attempt to keep up with traffic. Maybe driving at 25 mph on level ground with a good tail wind you'd get that kind of mileage. Mine only did about 30 mpg or so.

I owned one. They don't, not in real driving conditions with the little 2-stroke engine screaming its guts out in a hopeless attempt to keep up with traffic. Maybe driving at 25 mph on level ground with a good tail wind you'd get that kind of mileage. Mine only did about 30 mpg or so.
I own one as well, in sedan form.
Mine gets 50mpg to the floorboards which varies from about 50mph up a hill in 3rd to 75 in overdrive on the Speedo if it’s flat and the winds correct . It’s the only car I own that putting 40psi in the radial tires (instead of the placard rating with bias tires) increases my top speed 10mph

My guess is you had a Van version, 3 speed, bias treads, wintertime, 20psi in the snow tires with the timing off, cracked distributor perhaps?

You gotta tune them all the time and the plugs have to be replaced often also. Wrong gap and you burn holes in the pistons.
Greasing everything about every 5000 is almost a necessity, but no oil changes, very different experience than a modern car where you just drive and don’t do anything.

Around town if I hit the kill switch going to every stop I’m in the low 80’s, car does get legit 60’s if your willing to go 55 stay alive on a longer trip

Even with a fuel leak I’ve never gotten below 40, but I rarely use it in the wintertime

Last edited:
My 300 hp 2012 Impala company car would get 33+ on the highway at 75 and go almost 500 miles to a tank. This list isn’t impressive.

Have seen videos of 60+ for the PRIUS sedan .
The 2011 Prius I had I was able to squeeze a 70 mpg full tank out of it in the summer once by trying pretty hard. It was claimed to be able to do it by hyper milers so I tried and eventually got it.

Now no one realistically likely could drive like that all the time. Made quite a few people angry on that tank of gas going slow in spots lol

I think much of the issue is no one really wants a little clown car with a 2 or 3 cylinder to drive around even if it gets 60 mpg. This is where an inexpensive small electric would make more sense as you can have some of the real torque from electric motors

But mostly today the larger manufacturers after and during Covid have realized people will pay more than what the sticker was in 2019 and are cashing in on making them more profitable per unit. On higher optioned out vehicles and higher sticker prices. They are getting there cut too.

Also I believe if a company could make an every man vehicle that got 70 mpg all day they would.

The larger vehicles is what many of Americans are attracted to. Hard to make lots of Mpg when you vehicle is large and heavy

Wow. That is some pitiful mileage for all of those. The Corolla hybrid gets 52!

I understand this is a list of legacy technology cars but I don’t know why anyone is buying non-hybrid cars now. Hybrids are smoother, more powerful, quieter, cheaper to maintain, and save a ton on fuel. If you compare the non-hybrid Corolla vs the hybrid version, a driver will spend an extra $5600 on gas (at $4/gallon) to get to150K miles.
And the Corolla hybrid LE costs about $2500 more to buy and has about $3000 higher depreciation and maint/repair costs over 5 years than the gasoline only Corolla LE. Long term they cost pretty much the same, just where and when the money is spent.

Back