most difficult vehicle for repairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced the radiator hoses and thermostat on my 1998 Dodge full size conversion van. It is HORRIBLE to work on anything under the hood! if and when it needs a water pump I will cry....

I remember seeing a '79 Ford Econoline van with a factory installed 460 (lots of vacuum hoses and smog equipment on top of that big block) and that was very tight to work on even with the doghouse removed - maybe worse than your Dodge.

your 1995 Dodge van is a piece of cake compared to many cars. best way to attack your thermostat is to remove the alternator AC compressor and bracketry as one unit and lay it off to the side. I hope you replaced the bypass hose under that bracket.

a 1995 Ford Taurus radiator job or 7 Series BMW is a chore. The heater core in a 1999 Mercedes E 430 calls for 16 hours.you got away easy

Last edited:
I've always wondered about those big vans, with the hood so tiny, the engine must be crammed way up under the dash, that can't be too easy to work on.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've always wondered about those big vans, with the hood so tiny, the engine must be crammed way up under the dash, that can't be too easy to work on.

Assuming you can get the doghouse out, it is somewhat easier. Although sometimes they are glued in place by some people that hate their mechanics.

OK - you got me. compared to the examples that you mentioned my task was easy and I would not hesitate to do it again. I will still cry a little when its time for the water pump, and certainly I will replace the timing chain at that time. removing the doghouse is easy but bought me nothing on this particular repair. I just got spoiled - I have worked on the same engine in a pickup and a jeep and everything is (obviously) alot easier. I have a neighbor who is a mechanic by trade. he replaced the engine in a (chevy, I believe) full size van and then got to do the whole repair a 2nd time because the used motor they put in was no good. he had recommended a rebuilt the first time but the dealer accountant wanted to go the cheaper route.

16 hours for a heater core? ouch! that would be a $2000+ repair. of course, I imagine that most repairs are expensive on that genre of car.

Don't wonder any more. I have a few here in a fleet and they are a BEAR to do anything serious on.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Don't wonder any more. I have a few here in a fleet and they are a BEAR to do anything serious on.

At least they have a doghouse! I think I'd have to pull the cab off my dad's F350 to change the rearmost 2 plugs on each side. The engine is under the dash in that ... just no doghouse.

It seems to me that many years ago Chevy designed the Vega for a Wankel (rotary) engine (they were a hot item for awhile) but at the last minute crammed in a normal gas engine that was impossible to work on.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
OK - you got me. compared to the examples that you mentioned my task was easy and I would not hesitate to do it again. I will still cry a little when its time for the water pump, and certainly I will replace the timing chain at that time. removing the doghouse is easy but bought me nothing on this particular repair. I just got spoiled - I have worked on the same engine in a pickup and a jeep and everything is (obviously) alot easier. I have a neighbor who is a mechanic by trade. he replaced the engine in a (chevy, I believe) full size van and then got to do the whole repair a 2nd time because the used motor they put in was no good. he had recommended a rebuilt the first time but the dealer accountant wanted to go the cheaper route.

16 hours for a heater core? ouch! that would be a $2000+ repair. of course, I imagine that most repairs are expensive on that genre of car.

Water pump isn't as bad as it looks...pull the radiator and you actually have plenty of room.

A Ford E350 with a gas V10 isn't as bad as a 6.doh, but still pretty crowded.

Worst I have ever seen was a V6 Fiero.

Since you say vehicle and a boat is a vehicle I would say any boat with twin engines where they are spaced only a few inches apart. Which would be the case on say a 27' boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back