Most demanding gaming program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note even close. FPS games are generally the most demanding because users demand high levels of ground level detail with realistic levels of special effects. Ex, PUBG, COD, Battlefield series, etc.

Flight Sims just don't require the same level of detail.

Anything modern can be extremely demanding if you turn the settings up high enough. Most new games with realistic scenery will really hit a system hard. Why do you ask?

If you are in a dogfight the sharp turning, descending/climbing and power changes I thought would be the max. demand on a system.

The old benchmark used to be Crysis, but I'm sure that's been long usurped by something even more demanding. Typically, flight sims, as others noted, are on the light end of the demand scale with heavy detail FPS games being on the other.

I'm thinking of setting up an Ok gaming system for a Flight Sim. Not gonna break the bank.
I saw the other thread asking about a gaming build and I got to thinking that maybe the flight sim. is most demanding

Last edited:
Many years ago I had one of the Microsoft Flight sims and the sim would buffer if I got too busy on the controls. Nothing else I had would caused that with the system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cjcride
I'm thinking of setting up an Ok gaming system for a Flight Sim. Not gonna break the bank.
I saw the other thread asking about a gaming build and I got to thinking that maybe the flight sim. is most demanding

Not so much, no. Mostly because a lot of modern FPS/milsim games include flight simulation ***as a sub-function*** to support the combat. All while rendering many more objects (including hypersonic projectiles and particle weapons) at much higher resolution in real time.

Back in ancient times when dinosaurs like the IBM PS/2 roamed the earth, flightsims were more demanding than the bitmap-heavy FPS, but that hasn't been the case since the 90s/00s. FPS have far and away ruled the roost in graphics horsepower requirements for about two decades now.

Last edited:
Would agree fps is most demanding.. also
many fps games if competitive are played at high refresh 144hz+

Flight sim is fine at a steady 60fps.

for example cs:go while relatively light as far as fps games go can be demanding if you are playing it at 240hz

On the other hand if I had a flight sim I might want a 28" 4k monitor which is 4x as demanding as 1080p.
or at least 1440p

Originally Posted by cjcride

See the pcpartpicker link I posted in the other thread. Was around $625 for the system that was no slouch.

If I was building a desktop PC for gaming I would build for PC VR gaming. That opens the door to some uber cool gaming (VR), plus a VR ready system will run non-VR games that have serious system stressing demands very smoothly. Some of the high end video cards today blow my mind. Numerous cooling fans, double or triple boards, I'm surprised the house lights don't flicker or dim when the user powers-on some of these hardcore gaming and VR ready desktop PC's !!!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The old benchmark used to be Crysis, but I'm sure that's been long usurped by something even more demanding. Typically, flight sims, as others noted, are on the light end of the demand scale with heavy detail FPS games being on the other.

I read a few months ago that Crysis is still a very demanding game at max settings even with modern hardware.

Originally Posted by Leo99

I read a few months ago that Crysis is still a very demanding game at max settings even with modern hardware.

Incredible given the age of the game! Released in 2007, I bought it on steam to run with my CrossFire and SLI setups, which it taxed to the extreme.

Years ago when I used to play EverQuest it was pretty demanding.

49.gif

Originally Posted by Leo99

IIRC, Crysis doesn't really use beyond 2 cores... newer games are better, but throwing a Threadripper 3990x, coming in with 64 cores/128threads(!!!), at it isn't going to dramatically improve performance.

That being said... Linus Tech Tips got their hands on a 3990x, and fired up Crysis on it. Using ONLY the CPU to render the entire game, no GPU at all resulted in a, albeit barely, playable experience, which is incredible.

Flight sims usually take up a lot of VRAM because of the vast draw distances but normally do not require a lot of raw power like an FPS (ie: Call of Duty) would.

In my library, Project Cars 2 on 3 monitors @ 2K res each at the max details and MSAA at 2x lets me play without the FPS dropping under 50FPS (maybe on 'the ring' during sunset with 10 other cars nut-to-butt it'll dip that low.) On the other hand, the latest Call of Duty at max details @ 2K is probably the most single-monitor intensive game I have but it looks gorgeous with Battlefleet: Gothic coming in a very close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back