Most deadly cars to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
This popped up in my news feed, surprised a CUV would top the list.

You may want to think twice before getting into a Kia Sportage in Phoenix.
The Sportage didn't achieve this dubious ranking only in Phoenix; iSeeCars also placed it among the top five most dangerous cars in Chicago, Dallas and Minneapolis.

And to top it off, the study ranked the Sportage the no. 1 most dangerous SUV across the country.

Kia Sportage: 15.6 fatal accidents per billion vehicle miles
Hyundai Accent: 9.4 fatal accidents per billion vehicle miles
Volkswagen Tiguan: 8.1 fatal accidents per billion vehicle miles
Honda Fit: 7.7 fatal accidents per billion vehicle miles
Hyundai Veloster: 7.3 fatal accidents per billion vehicle miles

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mon...ccidents-phoenix-study-finds/3686765002/

Curiosity question... I wonder if these results could possibly be skewed because these vehicles may well be the most sold in the last number of years??
Not saying this is the case. May well not be the case at all.
And if that CUV is truly number 1 then I would bet it is due to roll over accidents... There ain't no roll bars or cage in those vehicles. A major weak point is what is above your head in a lot of vehicles out there.

I had a buddy of mine that had a terrible accident years ago... He got hit by another car in his left rear.. that car was going 80 mph... Thank goodness my buddy rode in a low profile car AND had his seat way low and angled way back and down... His car rolled over numerous times... That roof missed his head by like 3 inches... His car was crushed every way conceivable. If Josh would have been in his seat the normal way... He very likely would have been killed that day.

Last edited:
Call me crazy... But I see zero kids driving a CUV Kia Sportage around... .

Kids to me means teenagers... Maybe early 20s...

Now the Volester and the Fit... Ok that I have seen. Especially people in their 20s...

Although it doesn't fit with the demographics show, the Fiat X-19 was pretty unique.

But being one of the best handling and braking cars of it's era, it fared poorly in the crash statistics.

When it came unstuck, it did it in a big way

Up here I bet the CR-V would make that list. Bought by people who know nothing about cars, or driving. So they get the little 4x4 so they can drive in snow, parallel park, and they get the honda because it's reliable.

These guys get stymied by 4 way stops, red lights that turn green again, and other, similar obstacles.

Maybe they drive slowly enough they don't die. This is just one data point in the set, after all.

Numbers not skewed they normalized them by using the per billion miles so that help keep it equal. No single car has went 1 billion miles so they are averaging them in with the mileage ratio.

Nice how they made the crash numbers small by using billion.

That's 15,600 fatal crashes for the Sportage for every million miles driven. Sounds like a lot to me. (check my math I think that's right)

The article failed to assess the demographics; but I would agree with the ine pensive vehicle being driven by younger / inexperienced drivers.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Nice how they made the crash numbers small by using billion.

That's 15,600 fatal crashes for the Sportage for every million miles driven. Sounds like a lot to me. (check my math I think that's right)

The article failed to assess the demographics; but I would agree with the ine pensive vehicle being driven by younger / inexperienced drivers.

I checked your math, you went the wrong way. She used billion miles driven because the number looks so small using less miles. It's 0.0156 fatal crashes per million miles driven. If it were 15,600 per million, that would be 15.6 per 1,000 miles driven. So basically 5 fatal crashes per tank of gas driven. Deadly for sure!

Last edited:
You multiplied when you should have divided.
You arrived at the fatality rate per trillion miles.

The most sold vehicle in north america is the F150. It didn't show up in these results. I would suggest driver experience and economy car type vehicle have greater impact on the results.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Curiosity question... I wonder if these results could possibly be skewed because these vehicles may well be the most sold in the last number of years??
Not saying this is the case. May well not be the case at all.
And if that CUV is truly number 1 then I would bet it is due to roll over accidents... There ain't no roll bars or cage in those vehicles. A major weak point is what is above your head in a lot of vehicles out there.

I had a buddy of mine that had a terrible accident years ago... He got hit by another car in his left rear.. that car was going 80 mph... Thank goodness my buddy rode in a low profile car AND had his seat way low and angled way back and down... His car rolled over numerous times... That roof missed his head by like 3 inches... His car was crushed every way conceivable. If Josh would have been in his seat the normal way... He very likely would have been killed that day.

Last edited:
Statistics can be manipulated to achieve the result wanted. They couldn't get the dramatic numbers they wanted with millions so they used billions.

Are these cars dangerous on their own? No. They all require a driver to crash them.

No wonder newspapers are dead.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Statistics can be manipulated to achieve the result wanted.

That is true, but it's no reason to discount a proper FULL set of statistics.

A great example is that for many years we've heard that "statistically", flying is safer than driving, per mile traveled.

Well, that Flying V driving thing may not have been true for all of us. "IF" a driver is:

1) Not drunk
2) Not under 25 or over 65
3) Not driving at night
4) Not on a short, local trip

It may have been safer to drive..... Of course, that depends on the year in question. Airline safety has improved markedly in the recent decade.

Also possibly of interest, driving safety is highly correletated with IQ. More intelligent people get into fewer accidents. More intelligent people also tend to make more money and purchase better vehicles. We do know that high IQ individuals think faster, and there is speculation that this translates into better situational awareness.

I'd like to think that BITOG members are all very high IQ individuals. This being a technical forum, and not a social one....

Last edited:
Did the statistics take into account that a large percentage of the drivers of those "deadly cars" might well have died of boredom?

Is commercial flying safer than long distance driving?
Yes, but this isn't true of GA flying.
One would also be mistaken in thinking that all airliner types and all carriers are basically equal.
They aren't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
Did the statistics take into account that a large percentage of the drivers of those "deadly cars" might well have died of boredom?

Or the number of vehicles accumulating their miles on a flatbed?

Originally Posted by MCompact

Wondering how any of your sig cars would make my 75 mile/day commute on wide fairly straight low traffic 60% 4 lane divided more interesting than driving the RAV4?

So 3 of the top 5 in the Phx market are KiaHyundai. Wonder if they divide it further by model year of fatal accidents.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Wondering how any of your sig cars would make my 75 mile/day commute on wide fairly straight low traffic 60% 4 lane divided more interesting than driving the RAV4?

They would make it more interesting for me- and that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back