Most comfortable seats youve had? Best steering wheel?

Seats- 2015 Lexus GS350 or 88 Grand Marquis

Wheel - I miss the thin 3 spoke in my 05 Accord coupe.

2003-honda-accord-cpe-auto-v6-w-leather_100155918_m.jpg

Only got a Volvo a few years ago the first time. P2 seats (XC70, S60, 2001-2007 ish) best I have ever had.
I don't think those Volvo seats' leather is anything special, and the seats are quite firm with a surprising lack of plushness, and the seats are only mid-size overall, and yet, they're really comfortable. It's like they simply get the sitting angles just right or something.

However, they certainly don't win the best steering wheel award since they annoy me a bit due to the steering wheel not being able to tilt up higher. Instead of hands, may as well be driving with the top of my thighs.

Seats, 78 buick estate wagon, second 86 cutlass ciera.

Best steering wheel , 74 porshe 914, i don't know why, i just liked it, maybe because it had no buttons or switches lol !

Last edited:
It's been a long time, but one stand-out memory is sitting in my friend's parents' I think must have been a Chrysler Fifth Avenue. It was either that, or a smaller version of it. Pretty sure it wasn't a Reliant. Ugly box of a car on the outside, then sit in it and memory wants me to say the seats had 4" of super-soft padding you sunk into so far you might need help getting out.

Various older full-size cars come to mind such as Park Avenues, but those come to mind not for great seats themselves but just for the vast roominess in the front thanks to bench seats and no middle console. They really are kind of like driving your couch around.

Fun fact: I started wearing a seatbelt not for safety reasons but because with bench seats I'd slide around on the seat while cornering fast.

lol, yep, was probably a Fifth Avenue...

1987_chrysler_fifth_avenue-pic-33406.jpeg
1985_chrysler_fifth_avenue-pic-33664-640x480.jpeg

I don't think those Volvo seats' leather is anything special, and the seats are quite firm with a surprising lack of plushness, and the seats are only mid-size overall, and yet, they're really comfortable. It's like they simply get the sitting angles just right or something.

However, they certainly don't win the best steering wheel award since they annoy me a bit due to the steering wheel not being able to tilt up higher. Instead of hands, may as well be driving with the top of my thighs.

No, the leather sure is nothing special. And it's poorly finished. I was super-lucky I got a 120k mi used one that didn't need full restoration on my P2.

I had to do a serious restoration job on the seats in the '00 XC I have now, and it had only 118k on it when I got it. I wrote the proceedure up elsewhere for people who need/want to do a job a like this. (it's cheap, just time consuming). Sample pic below.

I also appreciated your retro-velour pic! When I was a wee tike, my dad worked for a while as a salesman at an Oldsmobile dealership. We had a slew of Cutlass's, 88s, 98s as demo drivers for years. Some cringe-worthy memories induced by your photos. ;)

This is some low-mileage, but older Volvo seats semi-prepped for crack filling and repair. Very typical of their low-quality leather finishing:
IMG-3222.jpg

I put seats from a 1983 Oldsmobile station wagon into my 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Coupe. Originally when I bought the car it had a full bench and the seats I put in it were the 60/40. It took me a long time to find them in green. I had to get them from Stoystown and that's in the middle of Pennsylvania, not exactly next door. But they were extremely comfortable seats.

78 chevy pickup. Bench seat feels like a couch. Love the steering wheel. It’s thin with very pronounced finger bumps on the back coupled with over boosted steering power. Feels like driving a boat from your couch. Except the suspension is rock hard. Ugh

Most comfortable seats I had was in the '19 Toyota 86 TRD SE. Amazingly snug and comfortable. You can fall asleep in those. Best steering wheel was in the '15 Mazda 3. I put in a Corksport leather wheel that was uber thick. Soft leather and great grip.

Don

Back