Most "American" Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a buddy. I do a lot of maint on his car. He's a big, "made in the USA type of person.

So...he wants an oil that is very made in the USA. I figured something like Amsoil, Schaeffers, or Brad Penn. Any others come to mind? Amsoil and Brad Penn are the easiest to get for me.

The oils you listed plus any of the major brands as Mobil, all Shell products, ConocoPhillips products, Chevron products, and the list goes on.

I think the vast majority of oils and lubricants sold in the US are made in the US. Many will state that on the bottle's label.

Probably depends on what American is to you. Most every oil you can buy here is made here. The SOPUS products aren't "American Owned" some would say, though they're still listed on the NYSE, so I could buy some, and I'm an American...

You really can't go wrong.

with the exception of fully man-made base oil in "true" synthetics, otherwise, almost all base oil/oil blends used in motor oils are imported from middle-east and then goes through refineries within that region.

So, how "American" can you become?

Q./

The crude that made the base stock is most likely foreign anyways, so most of the ingredient cost goes out of America. If your friend is that OCD about made in America, then he probably should use re-refined oil from Safety Kleen.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The crude that made the base stock is most likely foreign anyways, so most of the ingredient cost goes out of America. If your friend is that OCD about made in America, then he probably should use re-refined oil from Safety Kleen.

I would like to try the Safety-Kleen oils (America's Choice, EcoPower), but have never seen them for sale anywhere.

REDLINE. Made in America by an American company { if you consider California part of America that is}

Royal Purple is made in Porter,Texas (right outside of Houston). The bottles are even made in Texas also,Schulenberg.

Last edited:
Shell is foreign, of course, Dutch & English. Also foreign are Castrol (BP; British)and Citgo (Venezuelan).

Does anybody know the source of the crude used in each refiner's motor oil? How about the feedstock (excluding natural gas) used in the components of synthetic base oil? ConocoPhillips is a big importer of S-Oil Group III syn from Korea. Another U.S. blender is bringing in Korean SK Yubase Group III.

What about going at it with the intent to keep the majority of your cost of the oil in the US? Otherwise will be hard pressed to get an true American oil beyond mineral options.

ExxonMobil operates one of the largest PAO plants in the world in Beaumont Texas. They obviously supply base stock for Mobil 1, but also many other companies including Amsoil.

Castrol is owned by British Petroleum (BP), but probably makes most of the their oil in the US that is sold here (but not sure about Castrol Edge). Same applies to Pennzoil and Quaker State, which are owned by Royal Dutch Shell (UK/Dutch company).

So who owns the company may not have anything to do with where it is made, and motor oil consists of various base stocks plus additive packages which can come from different vendors or sources.

Originally Posted By: Quest
with the exception of fully man-made base oil in "true" synthetics, otherwise, almost all base oil/oil blends used in motor oils are imported from middle-east and then goes through refineries within that region.

So, how "American" can you become?

Q./

Whoa, whoa, whoa fella, 40% of the oil imported to the US comes from........... CANADA !! Surprised? We only import about 20% of our oil from the Middle East. We import most of our oil from Canada, Mexico, and Venezula. Let's get the facts straight and not repeat the nonsense we hear from the "main-stream" media. So most of the oil you put in your vehicle comes from and is processed in the US.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I have a buddy. I do a lot of maint on his car. He's a big, "made in the USA type of person.

So...he wants an oil that is very made in the USA. I figured something like Amsoil, Schaeffers, or Brad Penn. Any others come to mind? Amsoil and Brad Penn are the easiest to get for me.

Made in the USA, or made in the USA by an American owned company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back