Most "American" Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Penn is "all American" from the well-head to the bottle.*

*Discounting the fact that the Lubrizol additives packages Brad Penn uses may have foreign components.

Safety-Kleen! Until they begin collecting used oil from shops in Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, it's about as home grown as you can get. They make fine oils too, save prestige.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I guess it would also have to be made by documented US citizens.

What if it is made by an automated process in America, but the process was developed in a foreign country, and the staff on duty was off site.

Then the oil was packaged in another country and send back into America?

Don't laugh, this is actually what happen to most Made In China flash memory card. The chip was made in a Japanese plants remote controlled by American, and then diced and packaged in China.

Haven't seen anyone respond to me....

AFAIK, Renewable Lubricants Inc. is base din Ohio and grows their own corn/soy/etc. which they base all of their lubricants off of....I don't know where their bottles come from, but AFAIK their "Oil" is all american.

http://www.renewablelube.com/home.htm

O"ur full-line of proven biobased lubricants gives our customers enhanced vegetable lubricant performance from soy, corn, canola, sunflower and other bio-materials. "

I assumed they grew their own for the obvious potential benefits of controlling their basestocks (in the most literal sense of the word)

Joe

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
The Gulf stuff, from AmRef (of Brad Penn fame) is 100% Pennsylvania crude.

http://www.gulflubricants.net/

No sir. You misquoted that link and left out the word "Grade".

"refined from 100% Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil."

That is advertising speak that means that the oil may or may not come from Pennsylvania, but meets a certain "grade" specification. Crude oil has different grades such light, heavy, sweet, intermediate, etc.

Valvoline/Ashland is an American company. They may use some GRP III Syn from South Korea but the dino is 100% American. Shaeffer is American. Quaker State/Pennz/Shell is Dutch owned, Mobil/Exxon is a multi-national. Citgo is the bad guy. I think Coastal and Warren are American companies.

Originally Posted By: el_zorro
Valvoline/Ashland is an American company. They may use some GRP III Syn from South Korea but the dino is 100% American. Shaeffer is American. Quaker State/Pennz/Shell is Dutch owned, Mobil/Exxon is a multi-national. Citgo is the bad guy. I think Coastal and Warren are American companies.

How is ExxonMobil "multi-national" more than any other company? When they do business abroad, the bring profits back to the US.

According to Ashland's 2008 Annual Report just issued, they do business in more than 100 countries and revenues outside of North America (which includes Canada) grew 10 percent and represented approximately 30 percent of total revenue. On November 13, 2008, Ashland completed the acquisition of Hercules Incorporated, which will probably increase foreign revenues to more than 50 percent in future years. Ashland does not just sell overseas, they have refineries and manufacturing plants all over the world.
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/A...nual_Report.pdf

Here is one other interesting tidbit about Valvoline (Ashland) that I got from their annual report:

"Additives (from key suppliers such as Lubrizol Corporation) and base oils (from key suppliers such as Motiva Enterprises LLC) constitute a large portion of the raw materials required to manufacture Valvoline’s products. In addition to raw materials, Valvoline sources a significant portion of its packaging from key suppliers such as Graham Packaging Inc."

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Here is one other interesting tidbit about Valvoline (Ashland) that I got from their annual report:

"Additives (from key suppliers such as Lubrizol Corporation) and base oils (from key suppliers such as Motiva Enterprises LLC) constitute a large portion of the raw materials required to manufacture Valvoline’s products. In addition to raw materials, Valvoline sources a significant portion of its packaging from key suppliers such as Graham Packaging Inc."

Hmmm. Further investigation shows that Motiva Enterprises LLC is a joint venture between Shell and Saudi Refining Inc that refines, distributes, and markets oil products in the eastern and southern US. Since Shell and Saudi Refining are both foreign owned companies, the claim that Valvoline is 100% US crude oil is suspect.
http://www.motivaenterprises.com/home/Framework?siteId=motiva-en

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
The Gulf stuff, from AmRef (of Brad Penn fame) is 100% Pennsylvania crude.

http://www.gulflubricants.net/

No sir. You misquoted that link and left out the word "Grade".

"refined from 100% Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil."

That is advertising speak that means that the oil may or may not come from Pennsylvania, but meets a certain "grade" specification. Crude oil has different grades such light, heavy, sweet, intermediate, etc.

Wrong. "Pennsylvania Grade" crude can only come from wells in PA, WV, NY, and OH. American Refining states clearly on their web site that they only refine crude from wells in these four states. There is no such thing as "Pennsylvania Grade" crude from wells in Texas or the Middle East.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Wrong. "Pennsylvania Grade" crude can only come from wells in PA, WV, NY, and OH. American Refining states clearly on their web site that they only refine crude from wells in these four states. There is no such thing as "Pennsylvania Grade" crude from wells in Texas or the Middle East.

IntegraVT misquoted the link he posted, and said it 100% Pennsylvania Crude. It is not, as you and I both pointed out. Last time I looked WV, NY, and OH are not in PA. Anyway, the whole idea that PA crude yields superior motor oil is ridiculous.

Besides, crude oil is a fungible product. So if one particular refiner uses more US crude, that merely means that someone else is going to have to import more crude for other refined products and the overall amounts of imported crude oil will not change. It is not like buying more US made cars, which will lower auto imports.

Anyway, the whole idea that PA crude yields superior motor oil is ridiculous.

I disagree. If we're talking about making a solvent refined Group I base oil, I'd much rather have Penn Grade crude as the feedstock because it naturally has less aromatic content and a higher natural VI than other crudes. If we're talking about Group II, hydrofinishing takes less time with Penn Grade crude for the same reason, thereby making it more cost effective.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I disagree. If we're talking about making a solvent refined Group I base oil, I'd much rather have Penn Grade crude as the feedstock because it naturally has less aromatic content and a higher natural VI than other crudes. If we're talking about Group II, hydrofinishing takes less time with Penn Grade crude for the same reason, thereby making it more cost effective.

As a consumer, I don't care. I only care about the end product. I will leave it up to the engineers to figure out what crude oil they want to start with.

There is more fever and dogma on this forum than any religious forum.

This reminds of Coors Beer, who always made a big deal about how they only used Rocky Mountain Spring Water. Coors knew the stuff about Rocky Mountain Spring Water was just advertising hype, but it came back to bite them when they opened a second brewery in Virgina and had to use local water.
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/14/busine...&pagewanted=all

Quaker State itself used to say 100% Pennsylvania Crude Oil, but then changed it to 100% Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil, but I don't even know if they claim that anymore either. Personally, I have tried both Pennsylvania Crude and Texas Light Sweet, and I can't taste the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back