Mortgage demand rises for the first time in six weeks, despite sharply higher interest rates

I know of no one-absolutely no one who has ever regretted taking out a mortgage-they have seen MASSIVE REAL ESTATE APPRECIATION. Yo can make far more money investing in Real Estate than flipping cars.

Ask me how I know..........

BTW-it sounds like you don't own real estate...is this correct?
The ones I know who regret are the ones who are house poor. It's not the mortgage they regret, it's the buying at the top of what the lender says they can afford.

No not correct. I own half a dozen properties, none of which have a mortgage. THAT's how you build wealth.
Well done. Our main home is worth more than $2M. All in, I paid a fraction of that. We have 3 properties and no mortgages because we paid them off.
I also have substantial wealth in my Schwab and Fidelity accounts; I was able to fund them while making mortgage payments. I used some of the stock gain to help pay off the house.

Regarding our Los Gatos home; there is no way in H-E-double toothpics I could ever have got into this property without a mortgage.
Nor the other properties. It's called investing. Now I live for almost free in a wonderful place.

And I started out broke and homeless.
Again, if your investments worked for you, I salute you. Please remember there is more than one way to financial security.

Nope, they are a way banks get rich. On a $400,000 mortgage you will pay over a million dollars to the bank over 30 years.
If you pay the monthly minimum, but that's not the only way.
Say you can buy 1 house for $400K cash.
Instead you buy 3 and take out mortgages. You rent out 2 and live in one. Rents tend to go up, right?

Keep doing this, using the equity in your homes. Take some house money off the table.
In time you may have 10 houses, just like you, instead of 1 original $400K property.

Only do this if you want to be rich.

Which ones?

To name a few of my banks.

To name a few of my banks.
Just dont like online only banks....

do online banks let you get money from a ATM without a fee????
Some do, but really this is more of a savings account that you link to your local checking account via ACH transfers. IMO if you need to use your savings account for day to day usage then you aren't keeping enough money in your local checking account.

I've had an account with Emigrant Direct online in the past, and would do it again. But 6 month (or even 3 month) T-bills pay more then the above referenced bank accounts so that might be the way to go once I figure out how to do it. I'm specifically referring to purchasing T-Bills that I intend to hold to maturity, not bond funds.

Reactions: hrv
The ones I know who regret are the ones who are house poor. It's not the mortgage they regret, it's the buying at the top of what the lender says they can afford.
That is an mistake some make. I could never understand why. The bill goes on for 30 years. You could live a paupers life for a month or two----but 30 years?

Some do, but really this is more of a savings account that you link to your local checking account via ACH transfers. IMO if you need to use your savings account for day to day usage then you aren't keeping enough money in your local checking account.

I've had an account with Emigrant Direct online in the past, and would do it again. But 6 month (or even 3 month) T-bills pay more then the above referenced bank accounts so that might be the way to go once I figure out how to do it. I'm specifically referring to purchasing T-Bills that I intend to hold to maturity, not bond funds.

Have you checked with Treasury Direct?

I believe you can purchase bonds and link your bank account.

I hope everybody remembers who caused this ....
Okay who? Our current inflation has something to do with the pandemic whose name we dare not say, world wide government support for workers who were out of work because of the pandemic, the Russian invasion of the Ukraine which raised energy prices world wide, central banks in all countries that were slow on the draw, and perhaps a few other things I've missed.

It would be easy enough to blame someone. If only there was someone to blame.

This is actually a well published mis-truth for a couple reasons - more slight of hand. Anyone that says the fed can't raise rates due to the public debt doesn't understand central banking.

FIrst, the national debt is denominated in treasuries anywhere from 30 days to 30 years. Last I looked average issuance was 7 years, so even if rates rise we won't see the affect on the budget for years to come.

Second, the government doesn't make monthly interest payments like the rest of us, they sell bonds which need to be paid at some future date, with an applied interest rate. For example if the government sells a bond worth $1M a year from now today for $900K, in one year they will have to repay the $1M - at which time the realized interest rate was approximately 10% (not quite, but close enough).

Lastly the government really never pays any debt - it simply rolls the maturing debt into new debt / bonds - so the interest rates is compounded on a balance sheet, but its really just a number in the ledger.

The biggest near term affect of rising interest rate is lowered borrowing by the private sector. The government likely doesn't consider it at all when deciding how much to spend.
Treasuries pay interest every 6 months. In addtion whenever existing debt is rolled over the cost will be reflective of the current rates. So it's not really a mis-truth.

Last edited:
No not correct. I own half a dozen properties, none of which have a mortgage. THAT's how you build wealth.
OK-so you know the benefits of leverage but you are still knocking buying real estate. OK. I had mortgages on my rentals at one point. The rent paid the mortgages-and as time went by they made money. Now they are paid off. What's the issue?

They appreciated FAR BEYOND the loan interest paid-that the renters paid anyway.

Last edited:
Mortgages are total rip offs at any interest rate. For the first 5 or 10 years, something like 90% of the monthly payment goes towards interest and only a tiny bit towards the house.
It's a feature of nearly all installment loans. You're free to make additional principal only payments

I'd rather do it through a broker that I already have an account with vs creating an entirely new account, unless there is some sort of benefit by going through Treasury Direct.

I know you can buy individual bonds thru Schwab but you would have to compare the commissions.

It’s been quite some time since I opened my Schwab account but when I did I had to open a brokerage account as well as part of the deal. However, you are not obliged to fund that account.

Back