Morons "rolling coal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else have these degenerates where they are? You know the ones who modify diesel trucks to run too rich so the exhausts make big black clouds of smoke when they floor it?

I'm not a left wing nut, I do think the EPA has gone too far in many things, but this practice is just idiotic. It increases Nox and other toxic gases which are bad for people to breathe in. What's worse is the only reason they do it is to piss people off.

I really think anyone who does this should have their vehicle immediately towed, impounded, and license suspended until the vehicle's exhaust system is restored. On top of a hefty fine.

Same goes for cat deletes. I'm all about performance, but have you ever driven behind someone who's deleted theirs? You can barely breathe. Some things should just not be done.

Bigger turbos? More cylinders? Larger displacement? Clean, powerful noise? Yes to all of that. But engine and exhaust modifications that affect air quality adversely and unnecessarily I am not for one bit.

Rolling coal is stupid - I know a few people who gotten coal rolled on their bikes. I think it’s intentional over fueling of the engine and deleting the EGR/DPF that’s key to roll coal. While I feel it’s our duty to be stewards for the environment, some regulations I see are too much fuss for minimal returns - I want clean power, not more PM and things to break. If they got rid of EGR and just used SCR as the main emissions reduction strategy for Diesel engines, there would be less issues.

If I see a diesel truck that’s all bro’d out or has clues to a certain political standing(for my part of NorCal), I’m getting out of the way. But, I see transit buses puff a little black smoke during a DPF/SCR passive regen and old Mercedes W123s running WVO around here are a little smoky.

I have heard of people getting diesel engine modified and or tuned for towing big RVs and I even saw some stuff on the internet where there are some companies that sell kits for that, but do not know if that causes the black smoke. But otherwise it should be illegal and heavily enforced.

I have heard of people getting diesel engine modified and or tuned for towing big RVs and I even saw some stuff on the internet where there are some companies that sell kits for that, but do not know if that causes the black smoke. But otherwise it should be illegal and heavily enforced.

No, a proper tune won't cause this phenomenon. My best friend, who is a heavy diesel mechanic, his old Super Duty had a tune on it that resulted in it producing significantly more power than stock and it still didn't smoke beyond a bit of a haze at WOT under load. Over fuelling to the point where it looks like you have a tire fire coming out from beneath the truck is done exclusively for visuals and the perceived masculinity it eschews.

I rarely see this anymore. There is a reason why it cost $80,000 for a 3/4 ton truck now. They added $20,000 to the price for the emissions they have on them now.
Nothing a programmer can’t take care of but it also voids warranties - and OEM diagnostics can catch altered code via checksums or CRC checks. But much of automotive security is security by obscurity, only FCA has taken the step of using a security gateway. But many things PCs use such as secure boot or signed firmware/bootloaders haven’t made it to cars.

Nothing a programmer can’t take care of but it also voids warranties - and OEM diagnostics can catch altered code via checksums or CRC checks. But much of automotive security is security by obscurity, only FCA has taken the step of using a security gateway. But many things PCs use such as secure boot or signed firmware/bootloaders haven’t made it to cars.
FCA also has some pretty hard core PCM encryption. I think all 2016+ require the PCM to be sent out for unlocking or buying an unlocked PCM and having it flashed properly. The security gateway can be bypassed, but it’s kind of a pain on some vehicles.

But yeah... not a fan of rolling coal. It’s one thing at something like a truck/tractor pull or drag strip, but doing it on public roads just screams “LOOK AT ME IM SO (not) COOL JUST LOOK AT MY COAL BROOOOOO!!!!!”

A year ago while following a Ford diesel with stacks slow while passing by a line worker with the canvas tent, the genius in the truck floored it blowing black smoke into the enclosure. I think they really are looking for their mommy to show her what a nice poopy they made.

. It’s one thing at something like a truck/tractor pull or drag strip, but doing it on public roads just screams “LOOK AT ME IM SO (not) COOL JUST LOOK AT MY COAL BROOOOOO!!!!!”
I’d love to see one of these eviscerate a pavement princess...

Yeah I see it from time to time, it's just idiocy.

Also the lifted to the sky trucks. If they run a red light and T-Bone someone in an intersection, their solid steel bumper isn't going into the impact zone of the other car, it's going into the roof and their head.

The recipe for rolling coal is to have too large a turbo that is slow to spool, too large injectors that atomize poorly, retarded injection timing that puts the fuel in too late to burn, then drag the brakes so the truck won't accelerate to get the engine where the turbo will spool. Billows of black smoke. Stupid.

I have found that my truck smokes less with the EGR valve disconnected, and the DPF regens less. The EPA has gone too far trying to eliminate NOx emissions.

Atleast in my local area they are pretty rare, and its mostly VW's with a silly rich tune doing it. I think all you can do is complain to the authorities. If the local PD responsible to enforce gross emissions violations or dangerous lifts, get on their case about it. One of the towns near me started enforcing the highway traffic act and pulling over "cars modified from factory specifications". I assume the local PD was taking heat for not doing their job from enough people that they started to.

Deliberately poisoning the air breathed by those around you is morally equivalent to poisoning your neighbors' water supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back