Morels!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it's been a bumper crop year in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. My stepdad has been bringing home plastic grocery bags full of em' in the last month. Being unable to go to the parents house as of late, I had my mom break out the food dehydrator and dry a bunch of em up. Just received my shipment in the mail today, and enjoyed a nice dinner of morels and spinach. The good thing about re-hydrating them is that it also makes an outstanding broth for soups, rice, etc. Mmm hmm, good eats they are.

Got umami?

We had Morel mushrooms 2 times in Michigan last week. Finding them in the woods, grassy fields, and on the edge of the lawn. $40/pound at the store.

My wife has been out as well gathering them, we put them in quiche sometimes and she makes a great mushroom cream soup.
This year seems abit better than average so far.

Apparently they do grow in Australia, here's a site with some pics. http://www.morelmushroom.info/Types_of_Morels.html
They are hard to spot for a rookie, but have a look in wooded areas that get the soil disturbed once in a while. Like the edges of trail or even after a fire the year or two before.
We find they reappear year after year in certain areas too, so once you find some, check the next year there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back