More Ravenol USVO VOA coming! (SFE 5W20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just like my previous Ravenol DXG purchases, I decided to use some "free" money from Virgin Healthmiles to pick up some Ravenol. My wife decided she had to have a Transit Connect Titanium, and SFE is Ravenol's liquid for the MZR 2.5. I think it will be fine, nothing special, but I'm definitely going to run it at least 10k depending on if it uses any oil... I like to get UOAs without any makeup oil skewing the results when possible so when the level starts to drop past mid-stick is when I consider my personal OCI done. I got the Blauparts oil change kit with a 15% discount, so 6L of SFE and a Mahle filter, shipped, for $54. Not too excessive if the oil performs as good as the PDS appears it should provide.

It's basically a thinner DXG according to the data page, since it has PAO, tungsten and moly. VI is not stupid high (160), yet pour point is crazy low (-63*C) and Noack is only 8.3%, so it definitely tweaked my curiosity. I'll pull off a sample bottle and get a VOA, then UOA once it hits 10k or so. I've got a 4000 mile trip planned soon, and normally get around 2-2.2k per normal month, so it will probably be middle-summer when it gets drained. Has anybody else used SFE yet?

Ravenol SFE 5W20
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Had an interest in Ravenol until I realized it doesn't really matter. I'm sure this will give a great UOA as will just about anything else.

Yeah, PWM, I know in the big picture it will, in the end, perform about the same as Harvest King 5W20 (in that the engine will still survive), but since this didn't take money out of my pocket, I like testing and sharing with the board. There may be someone who wants to use this but also wants some data first, or to see if Ravenol is actually adding all the things they advertise. The add pack obviously won't show up on the VOA, but moly, tungsten, and other elements will. I'll be curious to see the levels of Zn, P, Mg, and Ca since the PDS references LSPI but it's not a D1G2 certified oil.

More data points
smile.gif

Transit Connect Titanium?
What happened? Was the store out of stock on Transit Connect Tungsten?
Looking forward to the VOA.

Last edited:
OK - I'll empty my pockets, just prior to buying some. Maybe eat salad instead of pasta tonight also.

I'll have a couple Pennzoil VOAs in a couple weeks. I should have snuck-in a quarter-ounce of tungsten into each WIX analysis sample, before shipping them-off.
grin2.gif

I have been talking a lot about Ravenol on my Subaru board recently as carbon buildup is a hot topic with the most recent generation of Subaru DI engines. A lot of people are wanting to try a low (or lower than normal) SAPS 0w-20 or 5w-20 and I am not having much luck finding many who offer oils that meet such criteria in those grades. Ravenol does!

Next time I stop by to visit Blauparts HQ I might pick some up
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Patman
This oil has a pretty strong HTHS for a 5w20!
thumbsup2.gif

Was thinking the same thing!

Congrats on the new Ford !ðŸ‘
Thanks in advance for the VOA, I'd like to see a 5W-30 sample as well to run in my wife's Lincoln 2.0 L ecoboost. Have to search for a quart to send off.
Thanks

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
kstanf, I've already done a VOA on the 5W30...it's Ravenol DXG
smile.gif
Ravenol are very very specialized in their oils in that this one, SFE, only comes in 5W20 and no other grades.

Ravenol DXG D1G1 VOA

Didn't realize, thanks for the link.
Calcium a bit on high side for a turbo motor looks like.

kstanf, if you read that thread, it looks like I somehow managed to get a jug of Ravenol still formulated for D1G1, not D1G2 as it was labeled. I never got a response from Ravenol, but I wouldn't have any reservation running it in a turbo motor, it is high in moly and other goodies shown to have a calming effect on LSPI.

I wouldn't recommend it though for "normal" usage, as it's ~$55/5L and isn't going to make a huge difference unless you're tracking or beating the daylights out of it and risking prison time during your daily commute
lol.gif

kstanf, if you read that thread, it looks like I somehow managed to get a jug of Ravenol still formulated for D1G1, not D1G2 as it was labeled. I never got a response from Ravenol, but I wouldn't have any reservation running it in a turbo motor, it is high in moly and other goodies shown to have a calming effect on LSPI.

I wouldn't recommend it though for "normal" usage, as it's ~$55/5L and isn't going to make a huge difference unless you're tracking or beating the daylights out of it and risking prison time during your daily commute
lol.gif

I gotcha Subie

But as you well know I was a one oil guy until I started hanging out with you guys.
I don't hunt
I don't fish
I don't play golf

Anymore

So
If I throw $55 bucks in a oil change for the hail of it
So be it
Im on the cheap side for most guys with a hobby !!🤣

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

It's all good, enjoy. Ravenol seems to definitely check a ton of the "high end" boxes if that's what you're searching for. Group IV/V base oils, TN moly, tungsten, low Noack, etc.

thumbsup2.gif

It's all good, enjoy. Ravenol seems to definitely check a ton of the "high end" boxes if that's what you're searching for. Group IV/V base oils, TN moly, tungsten, low Noack, etc.

I'd like to give it a try for the sake of a good try !

What the hail

Thanks Subie
I appreciate your help and input !!ðŸ‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back