More Iron In Sample

2013 Fiesta Hatch SE 5 Speed Manual. 61,554 miles.

Iron PPM jumped from 5 to 11 at last 6000 mile oil change.

5,986 6 PPM
5,964 5 PPM
6,179 11 PPM 61,554 8/14/2020 oil added 0

I was told that's only 1 PPM over average, so I am not worried. "Often iron will fluctuate based on operational conditions, so maybe you did some more idling between last oil change and now, or maybe you did more stop-and-go driving. Whatever the cause, the change in
iron is not a major issue"

I can not remember any change in my driving behavior. Since Covid 19 the car has been sitting unused a little more.

Where would Iron be coming from? I am guessing Cylinder walls if the aluminum block has sleeves, valves and stems, piston pin, camshaft, or oil pump. Don't think crankshaft as bearing material would be showing up.

Where would Iron be coming from? I am guessing Cylinder walls if the aluminum block has sleeves, valves and stems, piston pin, camshaft, or oil pump. Don't think crankshaft as bearing material would be showing up.

In an OE, "iron" (Fe) can come from tons of sources including desorption from castings, surface rust, settlement/accumulation, minor/normal wear and so forth and its also a component of many components. Remember that OA is reading almost dissolved iron (not glitter flakes) and is very sensitive.

It could show up as a slight amount of surface rust if the car was sitting as you said. I’ve seen that before. Most notably on a 11.1 Detroit that sat for 10 years. Iron shot up on the first 2 oci and fell back off to a normal level.

If it steadies high and starts "trending up"- you most likely have a problem, if not- ignore it

2013 Fiesta Hatch SE 5 Speed Manual. 61,554 miles.

Iron PPM jumped from 5 to 11 at last 6000 mile oil change.

5,986 6 PPM
5,964 5 PPM
6,179 11 PPM 61,554 8/14/2020 oil added 0

I was told that's only 1 PPM over average, so I am not worried. "Often iron will fluctuate based on operational conditions, so maybe you did some more idling between last oil change and now, or maybe you did more stop-and-go driving. Whatever the cause, the change in
iron is not a major issue"

I can not remember any change in my driving behavior. Since Covid 19 the car has been sitting unused a little more.

The repeatability/accuracy of UOA's are not down to the single PPM range, the variances you are seeing are likely well within the statistical noise for the testing protocol.

Back