more equinox

video was mildly interesting but extremely repetitive I got his BMW analogy in 2min.. he didnt need to repeat it 16x

Hoofta - what would this thing be worth with 170k on the clock ($3-4k). 170k miles and the questionable reliability of the Ecotec 2.4 this would be a hard pass for me - wasn't this gen 2.4 known for timing chain issues?

Isn’t the engine from Opel Germany? It doesn’t look that hard to do, less than a wp that is inside on a timing belt like so many Honda, Toyota, etc. Wrong?

Rock auto sells a Gates WP for $35, and the special tool can be had for $15. The WP is on the outside of the engine, actually it looks like a better design than having it inside the timing cover. Doing it myself would cost $70.

Last edited:
Isn’t the engine from Opel Germany? It doesn’t look that hard to do, less than a wp that is inside on a timing belt like so many Honda, Toyota, etc. Wrong?

Rock auto sells a Gates WP for $35, and the special tool can be had for $15. The WP is on the outside of the engine, actually it looks like a better design than having it inside the timing cover. Doing it myself would cost $70.
i think its more you need a lift and have to get the exhaust off.. that would be impossible without at least new bolts for a 2012 here.

i think its more you need a lift and have to get the exhaust off.. that would be impossible without at least new bolts for a 2012 here.
According to Gates some weeping is ok, and they have a reservoir for coolant to collect in and dry out. If it is more leakage when the drain bolt is removed and a bunch comes out, then the way I understand it, it’s time to replace the pump. I could do that on ramps and almost bet the whole exhaust pipe with cat could be dropped down. The Gates pump has the gear already on it.

He seems to say the impeller just spins, and that’s why no heat at idle? He was talking fast there. If the coolant isn’t circulating, no heat at idle is not the big problem.

Last edited:
A 9 year old car on the internet needs a water pump. Okay.

Water pumps should be able to last longer than that, especially if it's a big job.

I wouldn't use a cheap Chinese Gates water pump. Use Aisin or OEM, which Rock Auto also carries.

If you have to go cheap, at least use Airtex or Carter

Water pumps should be able to last longer than that, especially if it's a big job.

Should.

What worries me is that you can mess the timing chain up without that blue tool.

It is a dumb place to put it, but many cars have stuff put in bad places.

Funny he rips the car apart so bad....I know quite a few folks with those years Equinox- and all but one have been pretty much problem free.....

What worries me is that you can mess the timing chain up without that blue tool.

It is a dumb place to put it, but many cars have stuff put in bad places.

Funny he rips the car apart so bad....I know quite a few folks with those years Equinox- and all but one have been pretty much problem free.....
Yup, that you can mess up the timing on the engine is certainly a concern. However, now that we know this and would want to try it for ourselves, it is indeed doable.

I too know many folks with Equinox's & Terrain's who absolutely love'em. And just to get in and drive them, I can personally say that they're my favorite CUV in its category and I have driven most of the competition extensively for hours & hours from other friends & family.

Plus, they're just the right size, roomy, comfortable & efficient without being under powered. And I have only driven the 4 cylinder versions in FWD & AWD.

I think he's a bit harsh on it, but it does seem like a dumb design--remove exhaust, need a fancy tool. Seems very undomestic. Not sure if this is a "common" repair for these but, it seems all models (of all makes) have at least one repair that makes the works look like it was designed by a committee.

There's lots of repairs that the typical DIY'r isn't going to be able to do, or should just pony up and have a shop do it instead. This may or may not be another one of them.

I hate designs like this, it just shouldn’t be allowed. Ford did this too with their V6’s 8-10 years ago. Whole engine had to come out.

I know a couple people with the Traverse, believe it or not the water pump was the least of their concerns. One friend, his wouldn’t go into reverse...needed a whole new transmission right out of warranty. The other is using 1 quart of oil every 500-700 miles. Not even at 100,000 miles yet.

My wife has a 2011 Equinox we bought new. Garage queen will hit 60K miles soon. She loves it. We wanted and found a loaded one with the 2.4 intentionally, have had such good luck with a 2.2 in an 05 Cobalt I'm hoping for the same, time will tell. No issues so far, although there was a software reprogramming right after we bought it regarding cam phasers and oil life monitor.
I did the water pump on the Cobalt right around 300K (it has 333K now). Wasn't too bad, exhaust manifold came off easily, using cam gear tool was no big deal. I bought a Delco from RockAuto. Hope it holds up. I would assume the 2.4 would be very similar but haven't looked.

I'm a layperson but isn't that pump attached to a balance shaft? BMW hating is guaranteed to receive a lot of clicks in the Automotive YT genre. In any case he's incorrect about BMW. At 170k miles a BMW would've had two water pumps replaced for a total of $1,000. rofl. ;)

4 hours labor seems high to me.

At 175K miles, this really isn't so bad. At least they didn't have to do the whole timing chain replacement. IMO, the worst part is having do do everything from under the car and undo rusted together exhaust bolts. Maybe I think it's not so bad because I have access to a garage and a spare car to drive???

At least the special tool is cheap enough:

Lisle 13800 Water Pump Sprocket Holder For GM Ecotec​

Price:$26.16

At 175K miles, this really isn't so bad. At least they didn't have to do the whole timing chain replacement. IMO, the worst part is having do do everything from under the car and undo rusted together exhaust bolts. Maybe I think it's not so bad because I have access to a garage and a spare car to drive???

At least the special tool is cheap enough:

Lisle 13800 Water Pump Sprocket Holder For GM Ecotec​

Price:$26.16
I think it’s just...when you think of a water pump replacement, you think...ok, take off the serpentine belt, undo 10-12 bolts around the pump, drain, new gasket, new pump, belt back on. Done.

Or if you have a timing belt engine you do the water pump while you’re in there. Done.

Personally that’s what I kind of think of...so anything more than that is a lot to me.

I will say. BMW’s electric water pump in no bargain either (just because BMW is getting tossed around on the thread). Those pumps are buried. tough job to do if it’s your first time.

What exactly does the water pump sprocket have to do with timing? A lot of the replacement pumps come with the sprocket already on.
Years ago I did a family member's Camry timing belt. I didn't even do the wp because two studs have to be removed and the cam gear or something. I had to have a tool for the crankshaft pulley. That was at least five times harder than this one looks. This looks like a piece of cake really the more I look at it. He charges 450 for his techs labor, how much of that does the tech get?

Last edited:
Back