More chargers for EVs

I drove Canadian highway 3 north of the Idaho border and came across these new chargers at a rest stop. Ironically, the rest stop was beside a compressor station for a pipeline sending natural gas to California. I noticed the had two types of charger handles on two of the units made by ABB.

DDA0AD06-58C2-4778-8F1C-30357A4890D3.jpegEFAB8D85-6B9E-4D0A-B78C-20B20D96E450.jpegC3C253E9-52CB-413C-9DCD-F8D333507D9D.jpegDB6F352E-ADD2-4042-B7B4-C331590F5F97.jpeg

The crazy thing about chargers is that they are not universal. Adapters can be stupid expensive.
The Tesla charging network is a huge advantage.
Also, building out future networks is a great opportunity as EV sales grow.

One of Tesla's big advantages is that they're faster than anyone else and they're more powerful than anything else. There a new 250 kW set of Superchargers near where I live, although some of the other ones are lower powered ones (72 kW). Some of Tesla's setups are pretty basic (10 kW).

And some Telsa owners have the older models where they still have free charging for life. They also offer free charging for people out of their home areas, although I'm not sure about the particulars. Once we went Black Friday shopping and managed to find a parking space near where Tesla was set up. Every single space was taken and charging, although I heard they start charging for time if it's fully charged and they don't remove the connector. The owner is supposed to leave, although I'm not sure how well enforced that is.

One of Tesla's big advantages is that they're faster than anyone else and they're more powerful than anything else. There a new 250 kW set of Superchargers near where I live, although some of the other ones are lower powered ones (72 kW). Some of Tesla's setups are pretty basic (10 kW).

And some Telsa owners have the older models where they still have free charging for life. They also offer free charging for people out of their home areas, although I'm not sure about the particulars. Once we went Black Friday shopping and managed to find a parking space near where Tesla was set up. Every single space was taken and charging, although I heard they start charging for time if it's fully charged and they don't remove the connector. The owner is supposed to leave, although I'm not sure how well enforced that is.
I would not own an EV if I could not charge at home. There are a chargers everywhere in Silicon Valley, as I'm sure you know.
In downtown Los Gatos there is a string of 20 some chargers and yes, they can all be full. And drivers waiting...
After charging is complete, they can charge you for leaving your car connected.
I have only used a Super Charger only to check it out.

I use a decicated NEMA 14-50 plug in the garage. Pulls 32A and charges at 28 MPH.
This is perfect.

We've got a couple in the carpark at the power station enar the visitor's centre (and public BBQ area that we provide, and the lcoal workman's club has a couple...will got and have a look see what they are...

There are 8 Tesla chargers in a parking lot for cafes where I eat often … 4 on the hook when I went in for a half hour lunch … 3 of them still on the hook when I left … They are always on smart phones and just deal with it …

Not very many around here at all. Only at Sheetz and maybe one or two other places most people I know have them installed in their garage so they just charge them overnight.

Plenty of chargers in the I-95 rest area in Madison CT. I've never looked but I suspect they are for Teslas. Plenty of NY'rs driving to RI or Cape Code/MV on the weekends

A local restaurant in my area also has a charger; certainly a good idea to attract customers especially since they will be eating for 1 or 1 1/2 hours.

Ive seen a ton of Tesla chargers going in at various convenience stores and whatnot. Not sure if they are proprietary to Tesla though.

The crazy thing about chargers is that they are not universal. Adapters can be stupid expensive.
The Tesla charging network is a huge advantage.
Also, building out future networks is a great opportunity as EV sales grow.
What is the advantage of Tesla? It only works with Tesla cars?

Our state is taking VW settlement money to first study where to put chargers and furthermore installing them across state(NH). I have not seen movement yet with it though. Once travel resumes people from Quebec visiting really need them and tourism is gold mine of our state.

They usually charge too much money too, imo. It is like gas or more. The EVGo is like 31 cents a kwhr. For me the ideal is a plug in. hybrid. I don't want to get a 10 pm phone call from an emergency room 200 miles away, or more, and have a 1/4 charge on my EV. It's good though, EV's makes gas prices go down, probably?

If you have to pay to charge- what kind of money are we talking for a 300-400 mile charge?
I have never fully charged at a SuperCharger, but my understanding is about $15 in CA.
We have some of the highest electricity costs in the nation.
I am on the other end of the scale; I charge at home with solar panels, so it is dirt cheap.
Our GS350, hardly an economy car, is $45, at least.

They usually charge too much money too, imo. It is like gas or more. The EVGo is like 31 cents a kwhr. For me the ideal is a plug in. hybrid. I don't want to get a 10 pm phone call from an emergency room 200 miles away, or more, and have a 1/4 charge on my EV. It's good though, EV's makes gas prices go down, probably?
The Tesla nation wide average is 13 cents per kWh.

The Petro-Canada charge costs $ 0.33 CDN per minute, which actually means an increasing cost per kWh since you would fit in more kWhrs in during the early minutes as apposed to the later minutes. It also provides you with more incentive to do a quicker 80% charge rather than hang around to do a 100% charge. To get the app, go to www.petro-CANADA.ca . Also here is a screen shot of an article on it. Enjoy.

FA712AFE-F3FD-4740-BB50-6B19FBD8A8DB.png

Back