More alcohol vs less alcohol windshied fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since winter is right next door, I was going to stock up on wiper fluid. I've usually stuck with the orange rainx or prestone deicer during the winter, but they both leave "stains" on the hood.. I'm guessing that this is from the alcohol in the fluid.. Is the percentage of alcohol mixed into it high enough that its bad for paint/rubber parts around the windsheld molding? I'm debating weather to stick with whats been working, or go to the elcheapo stuff since it might actually be better, assuming cheaper means less alcoh... Thanks for your opinions..

I buy Isoprpyl Alcohol for 25 c a bottle and add one bottle per fillup of water. Two if it'a actually snowing when I fill it!
grin.gif

As far as iso alcohol harming rubber components...FWIW, when I've bought wipers, they come with a small foil pack that contains a pad treated with iso alcohol. They say to wipe the rubber blades down to clean-off manufacturing residues. As far as effects on paint and other compounds,
dunno.gif

During the winter, I add a cup or so of the 90% rubbing alcohol to the "winterised" windshield wash fluid. It seems to help keeping the lines from freezing, and the muck on the glass as well on those cold nights leaving work. Haven't seen any problems with the paint myself, but then again I may not be as maticulus with detailing the exterior...I have too much road salt, cart and door dings or construction debree to contend with.

Some have wondered if denatured alcohol could be used - so have I as I have some shelved in the shop.

The 100% volcano juice...
lol.gif
- Couldn't resist.

I run the prestone/Turtle Wax stuff year round. Also seems to cut road grime better than the basic blue solution. I haven't seen any negative effects from using these products.

For really tough ice, I've used "Volcano Juice" in the spray bottle. Works pretty good on heavy frost or light freezing rain.

One day as I was preparing to leave work, I realized my reservoir was empty. I realized I would likely see buildup before I got home, so I added half a bottle of volcano juice to the tank. Big mistake - it cleaned the windows like firewater, but I nearly passed out from the Isopropyl fumes that made their way into the interior (good thing I don't smoke).

Add a few drops of glycol antifreeze to a gallon of your home brew. The alcohol evaporates from the outlet of the washers, and the water that is left freezes. As everything else evaporates, the glycol becomes concentrated enough to keep the end from freezing.

Big problem I have had with isopropyl is once you add enough to keep it from freezing in the coldest weather, it won't cut salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back