Mopar Oil = Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read so many posts that Mopar Oil IS Mobil 1 Oil and I wouldn't doubt it. If this is the truth, why isn't Mobil Chrysler MS-6395?

I highly doubt it
smile.gif

it probably used to be something along the lines Of either Mobil Super 5k, or Mobil Special, but now i'd hazard a guess it's probably either PYB, or Formula Shell.

Engine Oil Viscosity — 3.6L/5.7L Engines (1500
Models Only)
MOPAR® SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to Chrysler
Material Standard MS-6395 or equivalent Pennzoil® or
Shell Helix® is recommended for all operating temperatures.
This engine oil improves low temperature starting
and vehicle fuel economy.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to “Engine Compartment”
in “Maintaining Your Vehicle” for further information.
NOTE: MOPAR® SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 may be used when
SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

Originally Posted By: Mter00s
I've read so many posts that Mopar Oil IS Mobil 1 Oil and I wouldn't doubt it. If this is the truth, why isn't Mobil Chrysler MS-6395?

Old outdated info is all.

In August of 2005 Mobil one was printed right on the filler cap of my car.

When Fiat took the reigns it became a Sopus company. Makes sense from a business's point of view...

Current Mopar Oil is not Mobil 1 or any other Mobil product.

Until the bankruptcy/bailout period around 2008/2009, Mobil 1 was the recommend factory fill for SRT performance model engines at Chrysler. With the bankruptcy looming and before FIAT stepped in, Mobil would not extend product on credit anymore to Chrysler and became "persona non Grata" later down the road. With FIAT taking over Shell/Pennzoil became the recommended branding with Chrysler.

With the MS-6395 spec coming out and eventually evolving into a 2 year certification process, Mobil has never been in a hurry to get MS-395 certification. MS-6395 is not a high hurdle anyways if Valvoline conventional can get it.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Current Mopar Oil is not Mobil 1 or any other Mobil product.

Until the bankruptcy/bailout period around 2008/2009, Mobil 1 was the recommend factory fill for SRT performance model engines at Chrysler. With the bankruptcy looming and before FIAT stepped in, Mobil would not extend product on credit anymore to Chrysler and became "persona non Grata" later down the road. With FIAT taking over Shell/Pennzoil became the recommended branding with Chrysler.

With the MS-6395 spec coming out and eventually evolving into a 2 year certification process, Mobil has never been in a hurry to get MS-395 certification. MS-6395 is not a high hurdle anyways if Valvoline conventional can get it.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back