Mopar OEM and Fram Ultra Oil filters, '18 Jeep JL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You ever think you're getting way less in a cartridge why should it be $5 more?
21.gif

01.gif

I totally agree
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
That makes sense. I think the Wix would be efficient enough. Even though I don't think the twisting caused any issue, I'd still rather not have it do that. Mobil 1 also says theirs has metal mesh support. Do you know if that is actually the case?

The M1 does not have any mesh support. I opened up a box the last time I was at Walmart.

However, the M1 for the Pentastar seems to be made in the same Korean factory as the Fram Ultra for this application.

21.gif

Because you can actually see the filter media, no cost cutting like they can get away with on canister filters.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

21.gif

Because you can actually see the filter media, no cost cutting like they can get away with on canister filters.

Then extend that to why a tiny 4967 size costs the same as the largest size canister filter. I saw huge Ford diesel M1 filters at WM for $10.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: blupupher

21.gif

Then extend that to why a tiny 4967 size costs the same as the largest size canister filter. I saw huge Ford diesel M1 filters at WM for $10.

Can't, because a TG9688 cost the same as a XG3593a, almost identical in size and are interchangable in applications IMO.

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
Congratulations On the JL,love the new body style,and how easy the windshield folds down,but for filters what about a Napa gold 10001,seems to be a good choice,

Unrelated,but when you turn your air conditioning on max is there a super loud fan that kicks on? Heard one in the parking lot the other day, Just curious if they are all like that

Yep, and they all appear to have that loud fan, but only when the air is on max with the climate control fan on the highest setting. If you dial the CC fan back even just one or two settings, from 7 to 6 or 5, the cooling fan quiets down.

I have now used two K&N of this filter and both came out way less wavy than the F eachram pictured here (approx. 8K) but still little wavy near the bottom. I just put in the XG so we will see how it comes out. The first filter was OEM and little more wavy than the K&N but straighter than the XG pictured here and it went 8K. So I am wondering if this latest XG will be this wavy? Hope not as I just bough three more LOL...

Originally Posted By: Skanky
I just put in the XG so we will see how it comes out. The first filter was OEM and little more wavy than the K&N but straighter than the XG pictured here and it went 8K. So I am wondering if this latest XG will be this wavy? Hope not as I just bough three more LOL...

The Ultra's media is metal wire backed, so pleats should pretty much stay the same shape when oil flows through it due to the pleat stiffness.

The twist of the media on one end looks to be caused by screwing the cartridge cap on, and putting a twisting force on the element.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I just put in the XG so we will see how it comes out. The first filter was OEM and little more wavy than the K&N but straighter than the XG pictured here and it went 8K. So I am wondering if this latest XG will be this wavy? Hope not as I just bough three more LOL...

The Ultra's media is metal wire backed, so pleats should pretty much stay the same shape when oil flows through it due to the pleat stiffness.

The twist of the media on one end looks to be caused by screwing the cartridge cap on, and putting a twisting force on the element.

That could be. I thought about that and didn't put it on as tightly this time.

I've been busy, but today I plan to tear the old UG apart to see if the metal mesh is in there. I'll post findings.

I have now used two K&N of this filter and both came out way less wavy than the F eachram pictured here (approx. 8K) but still little wavy near the bottom. I just put in the XG so we will see how it comes out. The first filter was OEM and little more wavy than the K&N but straighter than the XG pictured here and it went 8K. So I am wondering if this latest XG will be this wavy? Hope not as I just bough three more LOL...

I wouldn't worry too much. The integrity of the filter looked just fine, and it wasn't as wavy as the OEM, which people run by the millions in these engines. I haven't heard of any trouble with the OEM. I've got another UG in there and while I don't like the waves, I've got full confidence it will do its job. We'll see what it looks like with 5k plus on it next time.

Yes, that's why it is a good idea to lube the small O-ring on the bottom of the filter as well as the larger O-ring that goes on the filter cap. I think a lot of times wavy pleats are sometimes caused by not lubing the small O-ring at the bottom of the cartridge filter.

The Mann filter for Mercedes has a line on the side for depth. I remember I would have put the cartridge not fully in without the line. If the cart length is correct, the cap should be only compressing the orings. The cap isn't meant to screw the filter in farther. The installer has to seat the cartridge fully.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The illustration on the box is just a generic image. Most Ultras do use wire-backed pink media, but not this particular application. The metal would be where the plastic mesh is on yours. TheXG11665 looks a lot like a Purolator Boss, even though Puro doesn't make a Boss for this application (and their parent company Mann makes Hyundai/Kia OE filters in their Korean factory)

I have no idea about the Wix XP/Napa Platinum efficiency, as it is a relatively new filter (they just released the Pentatsar cartridge every recently). It is probably not as efficient as the Ultra, but it will be stronger due to the wire backing.

Well, I tore apart the Fram Ultra filter, and guess what? It is indeed backed by metal mesh, and it is strong as heck! I had to tear HARD to get it apart, and it only campe apart where it attached to the plastic end. I coudn't tear the pleats themesleves where the metal mesh was attached. My confidence in this filter is higher than ever. It is one tough SOB. I'll try and post a pic, but it will probably show up as a link.

Also, there was no compromise, whatsoever, even where the worst of the twisting occurred. This engine couldn't generate the pressure to tear this thing apart, if it wanted to.

On the latest Fram UG installed, I didn't tighten the cap as hard. Maybe that was the issue. We shall see, but in the mean time, I'm going to keep running these.

kzaGT7m.jpg

IFXYK3V.jpg

Upon closer inspection, it might not be metal, but maybe a synthetic material. It sounds like metal wire when I scrape a metal pick across it, but it does not look like metal and doesn't stay when you bend it. It has memory. It is very strong, though, and it holds that filter media with tenacity. It is also not magnetic.

Either way, it is a strong mesh and it is stronger than any filter media I've ever pulled apart, for sure.

Here is another pic after I tore it apart with pliers and a pick. I had to cut it with a wire cutter. It was hard to pull apart and break.

pwms5Cp.jpg

Last edited:
well, call me whatever, but I worked for and retired from Chrysler, DaimlerChrysler, FCA, whatever.

As long as my Mopar is in warranty, I will use whatever is specified or recommended in the owners manual. MS-6395 oil (my Ram) and a Mopar filter. if something goes south in this department, it ain't going to be on me. jmo.

Last edited:
nah, not at all. just a lot of faith in following manufacturer specs while in warranty.

I guess you have a very low thresh hold for humor judging from your LOL.

Originally Posted By: riklyn
well, call me whatever, but I worked for and retired from Chrysler, DaimlerChrysler, FCA, whatever.

As long as my Mopar is in warranty, I will use whatever is specified or recommended in the owners manual. MS-6395 oil (my Ram) and a Mopar filter. if something goes south in this department, it ain't going to be on me. jmo.

Well, I love their products, but the Mopar filter just isn't good enough for me. I'm sure it is fine, but I prefer better for my Jeep. I'm not losing sleep over a filter failure in a Fram that is more than twice as strong as the Mopar/Purolator.

This,
lol.gif

I feel ya!
Worked in the Wholesale Beer Distribution business for 35 years and got a ton of 'whatever" also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back