Mopar MO90 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time opening an oil filter. After reading these forums for the past few months I couldn't resist. This MO90 came off of my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7. Service interval was 3k miles with 5 quarts Motocraft Synblend 5w20 and 1 quart MMO. I think the filter did quite well. NO tears in the pleats, media was still rigid, ADBV was plaible.

photo1_zps8c8d640f.jpg

photo2_zps716cc612.jpg

photo3_zps5e6c80e3.jpg

photo4_zps519155f4.jpg

So now my first oil sample is on its way to Blackstone, and I am on the way to return that cheapo harbor freight cutter that proved to be less than helpful with opening this filter. I will be ordering a longacre before the next oil change!

Pretty fancy workbench you don't see many with a finished oak top.
Looking for cutter I like mine from Jegs made for Jegs they also sell the Longacre.

My wife was less than thrilled that I used our kitchen table as a makeshift work bench...
grin.gif

I noticed the purse once I uploaded the photos. Rookie mistake I guess!

^^^ LOL ... nothing like cutting open oil filters on the formal dinning room table.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ LOL ... nothing like cutting open oil filters on the formal dinning room table.
grin.gif

Yep ... I could here the wife now ..lol Welcome jk
wink.gif

Looks very good. Mine had 5000 on it and looked very bad. Maybe it was made on a Friday. Lol.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
This is my first time opening an oil filter. After reading these forums for the past few months I couldn't resist. This MO90 came off of my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7. Service interval was 3k miles with 5 quarts Motocraft Synblend 5w20 and 1 quart MMO. I think the filter did quite well. NO tears in the pleats, media was still rigid, ADBV was plaible.

photo1_zps8c8d640f.jpg

photo2_zps716cc612.jpg

photo3_zps5e6c80e3.jpg

photo4_zps519155f4.jpg

So now my first oil sample is on its way to Blackstone, and I am on the way to return that cheapo harbor freight cutter that proved to be less than helpful with opening this filter. I will be ordering a longacre before the next oil change!

Welcome to BITOG!

Anyone that is willing to cut open used oil filters on the kitchen table is welcome here
grin.gif

Filter looks good btw!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
grin.gif

Its in the Redneck Hand book I think >G

All the 090s I have cut open have looked good.But they had string around the media.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Looks very good. Mine had 5000 on it and looked very bad. Maybe it was made on a Friday. Lol.

With all the bad press Purolator has received lately I had to cut it open and see for myself. I am glad to see that it held up, and I plan on continuing to use the rest of my pure ones as well.

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
Welcome to BITOG. You are obviously one of us!
One quart of MMO? Oh my...

Yes, my truck gets a 5 minute motor flush and MMO every oil change. I have always had good results, but I have noticed that there are many here who are not avid supporters of either of those things!

The theory is that if a quality oil is used, additives such as MMO aren't necessary. What you are doing seems to be working so I wouldn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back