Mopar MO-90 cut open with goodies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came off a buddies 98 Jeep 6-cyl...bought it couple years ago..daily driver ...known slugded engine but runs good and doesnt use oil...207k ...7k on this oci with conventional 5w/30...in went Royal Purple 5w/30 and another MO-90....knows about the start up rattle with these engines and has experienced it with anything but a OEM filter installed...check out the sludged trapped in the pleats..and the adbv is stiff...ewwwww...

That filter did its JOB.

Good and DIRTY.... Somtimes I see oil filters cut open and the are clean and I wonder if the filter let the dirt pass by???

Originally Posted By: David1
That filter did its JOB.

Good and DIRTY.... Somtimes I see oil filters cut open and the are clean and I wonder if the filter let the dirt pass by???

What's the logic behind that comment?

If anything this sludged up filter probaby caused the filter to go into bypass quite a bit and caused dirty oil to bypass the filter.

Owner of that vehicles needs to change oil way before 7K miles on that dirty engine.

Is this engine running cold because that is terrible, the oil probably was not being filtered for awhile. Those Rambler sixes were good engines.

That filter is toast... I bet bypass events were a plenty.

Buy some cheap filters and run some high detergent oil at low OCI's for the next few.

You're running your conventional oil to long. Conventional oil should not go pass 5K

Like many have said; lower your OCI to 5K since your motor is known to be a sludger after doing another OCIs at 2500 miles with any synthetic. Whatever synthetic is on sale at wally world. Run that Royal Purple for 2500 miles

Give that Puro made Mopar a purple heart.

I'd also suggest much shorter OCI's with something like PYB for your friend's Jeep.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

WOW that is really sludged up... That mopar filter looks like a rebadged purolator and it seems to have held up very well. I don't see the usual purolator wavy media or tears. this one is nice. This is how they used to look before their quality lapse

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
WOW that is really sludged up... That mopar filter looks like a rebadged purolator and it seems to have held up very well. I don't see the usual purolator wavy media or tears. this one is nice. This is how they used to look before their quality lapse

Sludge packed into the pleats near the base plates must have added some strength to the media and prevented tearing ... LOL.
laugh.gif

Dang I got a 94 Jeep with a 6 cy;. It is not sludged yet. Makes me want to go out and change the oil and filter early to keep it that way.

There's a lot of sludge being cleaned up, but I don't see where the filter is compromised at that mileage. I'd keep doing what you're doing until the filter doesn't catch any sludge.

I'd be running some 3,000 mile ocis with whatever the cheapest possible combination you could find for 5 oci's and see if that helps. That's crazy.

Valve cover was removed just before last oil/filter change to replace a leaking valve cover gasket.....inside of valve cover and head was covered in 1/8-1/4" of sludge...knowing this is a daily driver (only one) he knew better than to go poking around with a screwdriver trying to clean it up and clogging up the oil pump screen soon therafter sooo he put it back together untouched except the gasket...been driving it as is ....one question...anybody know off hand the mopar filter that is the larger fl1a/ph8a size?....

Originally Posted By: DSparks
...one question...anybody know off hand the mopar filter that is the larger fl1a/ph8a size?....

For a '98 Jeep? I wouldn't go any larger than that. The Grand Cherokee points away from the engine and there won't be any more room. The '98 Cherokee filter is parallel to the engine and putting a PH8A-sized filter on it is about all it can handle.
I think the oil just needs to be changed more often.

Valve cover was removed just before last oil/filter change to replace a leaking valve cover gasket.....inside of valve cover and head was covered in 1/8-1/4" of sludge...knowing this is a daily driver (only one) he knew better than to go poking around with a screwdriver trying to clean it up and clogging up the oil pump screen soon therafter sooo he put it back together untouched except the gasket...been driving it as is ....one question...anybody know off hand the mopar filter that is the larger fl1a/ph8a size?....
Did you say what kind of oil was in that oc?

Some house brand either walmart st or oriellys...not sure which one...thats what has been going in it ever since he got it couple years ago....

Originally Posted By: Kruse
...one question...anybody know off hand the mopar filter that is the larger fl1a/ph8a size?....

For a '98 Jeep? I wouldn't go any larger than that. The Grand Cherokee points away from the engine and there won't be any more room. The '98 Cherokee filter is parallel to the engine and putting a PH8A-sized filter on it is about all it can handle.
I think the oil just needs to be changed more often.

I can't speak for the ZJs, but the WJ 4.0 has plenty of room. The V8 ZJs might have the figment issues though.. Not sure.

I don't think they made a Mopar FL1A version. That size is only for 80's era Fords IIRC. I would give the MC version a try though.. From what I have seen after cutting a few MCs and Mopars, the bypasses look identical.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Sludge packed into the pleats near the base plates must have added some strength to the media and prevented tearing ... LOL.
laugh.gif

I'm a Puro fan-boy (well, Motorcraft really) and even I found that funny...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back