Mopar MO-339 cut open

Mopar filter removed from a Hemi Ram, mileage unknown although 3% was left on OLM. 110k on the truck. Didn't see any tears; not wavy really either, looked okay. Wix filter went back on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As long at the bypass valve didn't get hard and brittle, I'd say it did it's job well. The can looks very heavy as well. Good filter.

Looks good, I will use a Mopar filter on my '16 Ram Hemi when Rockauto has a deal on them. Always wondered what they looked like. I have been running Wix lately but, because of your post, I have no worries getting Mopars next time.

Have one on standby. Have a Wix on my 2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Started having some ticking at startup at 2400 mi on last PP oil change. Guess the wix adbv is not cutting it on this filter.

Originally Posted by Govtman
Have one on standby. Have a Wix on my 2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Started having some ticking at startup at 2400 mi on last PP oil change. Guess the wix adbv is not cutting it on this filter.

As the filter is mounted upside down on the engine, I doubt the adbv plays any part in the startup noise you hear.

Originally Posted by Pete C.
Ray H. Good statement above. The next question is kinda ****** if you get my meaning, maybe this will get it through the fog.

[Bang Head]

THE ADB VALVE PREVENTS THE OIL ON THE DIRTY SIDE OF THE FILTER ELEMENT FROM DRAINING BACK INTO THE ENGINE.
[Bang Head]
NO MATTER WHAT ORIENTATION IT IS IN
[Bang Head]
IF THE OIL DRAINS BACK INTO THE FILTER, FROM ANY POINT AFTER THE FILTER THE ADB VALVE PREVENTS IT FROM BACKWASHING THE FILTER INTO THE SUMP.

Originally Posted by Robster

As the filter is mounted upside down on the engine, I doubt the adbv plays any part in the startup noise you hear.

Plus the Mopar filters have a nitrile ADBV compared to the Wix's superior silicone valve.

What do you mean by "upside down"? Filter base up or base down? There's no formal definition of the "upside" of an oil filter.
grin2.gif

What do you mean by "upside down"? Filter base up or base down? There's no formal definition of the "upside" of an oil filter. [IMG said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/graemlins/grin2.gif[/IMG]

Sorry for the confusion. . . I meant that as the base is pointed upwards when installed on the 5.7L, there would be no drainback likely to occur.

Sometimes it has start up tick, most times not. Leads me to believe oil from upper engine was seeping back past adbv to oilpan at times.

Sometimes it has start up tick, most times not. Leads me to believe oil from upper engine was seeping back past adbv to oilpan at times.

Sometimes it does, most times not?

Thats the awesomeness of owning Hemi engines. They do that at dealers with 2 miles or less on the odo. Even the dealer will say "its supposed to sound like that, I can go show you dozens of 2020s new on the lot that do the same thing!"

Ive used everything from Schaeffers to cheap dino conventional. Filters from the Fram ultra to the cheapest ecore. Ambient temps from 115f to 25f. Its gonna sound like that regardless if you put a 9$ fram or a 1$ champ on it.

Last edited:
Its a 2019 classic big horn. Bought it at 24,500 and no tic until 35,300 basically. About 3400 on oil change and Wix 57060 when it started loud for 3-4 starts and then moderately a couple times since.

What do you mean by "upside down"? Filter base up or base down? There's no formal definition of the "upside" of an oil filter.
grin2.gif

Sorry for the confusion. . . I meant that as the base is pointed upwards when installed on the 5.7L, there would be no drainback likely to occur.

Even fillers mounted vertical with the base up can cause oil above the filter (in the galleries) to leak down. It's a continuing misconception that filters mounted base up don't need an ADBV.

Its a 2019 classic big horn. Bought it at 24,500 and no tic until 35,300 basically. About 3400 on oil change and Wix 57060 when it started loud for 3-4 starts and then moderately a couple times since.

Some WIX filters have been reported lately of having a bad ADBV. Swap out just the filter and see if the start-up noise goes away or not.

Have a 339 to replace it with, thinking about using the 899 if i can get it in from the front to install. I dont like little filters.

Back