Mopar 5.9L using 1/2 qt in 2000 miles with 10W30 ... suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Dodge Durango 5.9L V8 PT4WD, 46RE tranny, 73K miles.

Just bought it 2K miles ago from original owner. Runs strong and sounds good. Owner claimed 3 to 4K OCI's w/ dino, and an occasional blends or synthetic. He told me it burns 1/2 to 1 quart every 3K and just accepted the fact. I think it was maintained very well and the original owner was attentive to maintenance.

I'm just finishing up on a ARX clean w/ Chevron 10W30 and getting ready to rinse.

I don't think that I have a intake gasket leak, but I'm not 100% sure. Looking into the TB and past butterflies I can see a dark surface, but it doesn't look particularly oily. I closed off PCV hose and I'm getting slight pressure out of PCV hole in valve cover. I think it is the original plenum gasket.

Should I try a 15W40 HDEO for the ARX rinse? Or perhaps a 10W40 dino for the rinse? After the rinse I would like to try M1 truck & suv.

Any other suggestions? Should I bite the bullet and just replace the gasket with the new Mopar metal gasket that is available now?

BTW, I have a varnish buildup on the bottom 1/2 inch of the oil dipstick. Still there after the ARX clean and wondering if the rinse will remove it. It is quite thick. I have yet to put calipers on it but will soon.

Thanks,

Grease

[ April 10, 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Grease is the word ]

Personally......I have never seen any kind of buildup on the dipstick, on any vehicle that the oil has been religiously changed every 3k. I would try a HD 15w40.

Grease is the word.

Got a Dodge truck myself, I think the bottom 1/2 inch of the dipstick has a plastic coating. It is dark colored just like varnish.

I have the 3.9l V-6 Magnum engine, it has had a steady diet of synthetic oil since new. Various brands and weights, Mobil 1 10w-30, 15w-50, Castrol Syntec 10w-30, right now using Shell Rotella T full synthetic 5w-40. The truck has never used oil, no drips, drops or leaks either.

cool.gif
I'll confess I'm not that familiar with Mopar engines so I don't know anything about the intake problems that JeepZJ4.0 mentioned, but I don't regard that as excessive consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by twentynine:
Grease is the word.

Got a Dodge truck myself, I think the bottom 1/2 inch of the dipstick has a plastic coating. It is dark colored just like varnish.

Very interesting. I guess I won't be expecting ARX to take it off!
grin.gif
nono.gif

Yep, the bottom of the dipstick is supposed to look like that. Bought my 2001 3.9 Ram truck new and it looks as you describe. BTW, mine doesn't use any oil between changes but I don't think you're using too much oil.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
I'll confess I'm not that familiar with Mopar engines so I don't know anything about the intake problems that JeepZJ4.0 mentioned, but I don't regard that as excessive consumption.

I'm a member of another forum (a Jeep forum) and this is a major problem on 5.2L V8 and 5.9L V8 equipped Grand Cherokees. The problem cannot be avoided, even with good maintainence, and actually occurs at this mileage. If it is leaking, its good to fix it early, or else you'll have to deal with pinging. The only way to clean with pinging is with the combustion chamber cleaning (Mopar CCC is great). That site I posted earlier is the TSB from Chrysler to fix the problem. If anyone has this problem, I have another site that I could PM that has more info. (I can't post it in the thread since its off of another forum)

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
If anyone has this problem, I have another site that I could PM that has more info. (I can't post it in the thread since its off of another forum)

A link to a specific topic on another forum is fine.

Mark

On my 98 Ram 1500 with the 5.9l i used to have i changed that plenium gasket three times.Last time i used the Felpro triple layer steel gasket and it didnt leak anymore.If i remeber right it used about a quart every 3500 miles when it was leaking.Also pinged like crazy.Do the checks to find out if its leaking.Its a good 6 hour job the first time you do it.

Thanks everyone. I'll try the vacuum test again to see if I have the leak. I also have to remove the TB for something else which will give me a better look inside. I'll post how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back