Monster/zombie/death conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Apparently the Monster-mania con horror convention is going on pretty close to me in a hotel. All I can say is wow. The whole area is packed, hotel is stuffed, but the folks are the most interesting. All kinds of skulls, zombies, people wearing clothes showing signs of death, anarchy, grim reaper, dressed as if they were dead, etc.

Not a crowd I typically hang with, but many were in a restaurant we had lunch in. Quite the group. Most of the men were massively obese, and a good number of the women were dressed in a manner to me that looked like a cross between witches and street-walkers. Just an observation of the styles we saw.

I'm not saying anything bad or good. It seems that they dress and are putting on a look that indicates that this is beyond just entertainment but also their belief set and life doctrine. When you tattoo such things all over your arms and head, pierce holes all over the body, etc., it's clear that there's a bit of real "skin" in it.

Again, this is neither bad or good, and it will not be R or P either. Think more like talk radio - are you part of this group? if so, we want to hear from you kind of deal...

It's just an interesting dynamic. I've always attested to the avoidance of the big hat, no cattle or the if you don't have the cajones to back up the show you're putting on, then don't put it on type of existence. I am not sure many of these folks could survive all out anarchy or end of the world type scenarios that they care to play out and wear on their clothes and selves. Maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't matter to me one way or another other than that this big event happened nearby and we witnessed a good cross-section of the crowd firsthand.

I know nick R goes to these con things - not sure if it is his crowd, but if he's at this one in NJ, feel free to stop by for some beers!

Only $30 to get in. Come on, JH, we know you want it.
smile.gif

http://www.monstermania.net/

Not after I saw the line to go in. Plus I'm not good with smearing black makeup around my eyes.

Dull side down so it shines better in the sun.

I think Nick is into video games and the Star Wars stuff. I think this is much different. But I may have missed some posts. This seems more like an extreme Gothic convention of some sort. Poor waitress was probably hosed on the tips.

Now I bet GHT is there!

Older than teens. Saw very few kids standing around (we went to eat nearby and the attendees were walking about to various restaurants, and then drove down the streets right by the hotel so saw the streets absolutely packed with cars for about a mile and people walking all over) unless with their parents who were dressed typically in black or in these kinds of outfits.

I'd say mainly 20-40 somethings, with the bulk on the older end.

Obviously I've never attended any of these things, and my main knowledge of these events are a few pictures that Nick has put up, and the usual tv parodies of Star Trek conferences where everybody dresses up. But this was, as I mentioned,much more real, with a lot of the symbolism tattooed, inscribed in jewelery, etc.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Sounds like the "Keeping Austin Weird" crowd..it's Halloween 24/7 there.

+1 on seeing guys who think the only time to go clothes shopping is when spirit Halloween is in town

We watched something on TV a while ago, about a "Dragon-Con" IIRC. TV can make anything interesting. Not really my cup of tea, but I do have to admit some admiration for at least occasionally dressing up to play an alter-ego. Maybe not the antithesis of ones self as much as just what could be if one had made different choices. Or just for fun.

Speaking of zombies, I haven't been particularly fond of Walking Dead TV Show this season. All the episodes seem to concentrate only on a couple characters, as the weekly characters have separated from each other, after evacuating the prison.

I've always thought the goth thing in girls at least was a rebellion from perceived attractiveness. IE, "I'm 15 and no guy has ever asked me out so I'll wear green lipstick and stare at my feet so I'm in control of why that is."

South Park ripped this phenomena pretty well. "If you want to hang with the goth kids you have to dress like us and talk like us."

But, hey, going out to a hotel beats sitting behind a computer with some Olde English 800 and hand lotion.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
... and a good number of the women were dressed in a manner to me that looked like a cross between witches and street-walkers. Just an observation of the styles we saw.

Most street walkers already look like zombies, so guess the look fits.
eek.gif

Seems like a different crowed than Comic Con, more Gothic.

Most of the Walking Dead fans I know and I'm one of them are at the gun range. The Zombie craze is huge, you can even build a Zombie themed AR!

Some people get really into Cosplay; right now Attack of the Titan is the big one since the uniforms the soldiers wear lend themselves to it.

attack-on-titan-cosplay-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I am not sure many of these folks could survive all out anarchy

I think you meant "chaos". "Anarchy" is an absence of coercive authority where people organize themselves, themselves. Watch a city bus pull up to a stop and observe how the people take turns stepping on to the bus. Or attend a neighborhood BBQ. This is anarchy... Now go to YouTube and search for videos of stores opening on Black Friday, where the owners of commodities have restricted those commodities in order to increase their trade value. This is chaos.

Originally Posted By: morris
iam still confused does the shine side of the aluminium foil go out or in?

Wrong crowd.
02.gif

enhanced-buzz-27607-1379535381-2.jpg

Strange. So the idea of "entertainment" is to dress up in either Halloween costumes or pretend to be cartoon characters and parade about at a "conference"?

I've always felt that the generation raised in front of the television had some serious issues. They could be spending time bettering themselves, but instead they prefer to prance around in ridiculous looking getups.

Didn't the upper classes have costume balls a couple centuries ago? I'm not sure that dressing up is anything new.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Strange. So the idea of "entertainment" is to dress up in either Halloween costumes or pretend to be cartoon characters and parade about at a "conference"?

I've always felt that the generation raised in front of the television had some serious issues. They could be spending time bettering themselves, but instead they prefer to prance around in ridiculous looking getups.

I wouldn't disparage people from spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on their customs...on an oil forum. Its not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the effort put into it.

Last time I went to a convention I went with a friend and his buddy, we took his $180k Porsche Panamara S up. I'm sorry if were not productive enough for you, maybe if he worked harder instead of playing Halo and watching Anime he could drive a $400k Bentley but not everyone is perfect...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back