Monster/zombie/death conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Didn't the upper classes have costume balls a couple centuries ago? I'm not sure that dressing up is anything new.

its less the dressing up (note that the pics Nick R posted were pretty neat). Its the infatuation with death and zombies and decaying, disfigured, disgusting bodies and the associated violence that gets me. When people tattoo skulls and grim reapers on themselves, that's beyond wearing the beliefs on their sleeve, its on themselves.

And if they do truly live for all this to be reality, that's fine, but I have to wonder if they are truly tough enough and capable enough to live in and through that. Given the general state of health that many of the people, especially the men, looked like... I have to wonder.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: supton
Didn't the upper classes have costume balls a couple centuries ago? I'm not sure that dressing up is anything new.

its less the dressing up (note that the pics Nick R posted were pretty neat). Its the infatuation with death and zombies and decaying, disfigured, disgusting bodies and the associated violence that gets me. When people tattoo skulls and grim reapers on themselves, that's beyond wearing the beliefs on their sleeve, its on themselves.

And if they do truly live for all this to be reality, that's fine, but I have to wonder if they are truly tough enough and capable enough to live in and through that. Given the general state of health that many of the people, especially the men, looked like... I have to wonder.

I don't understand it either, other than its so unacceptable in most of society that its just another way to rebel in the extreme?
The grisly death khrap is starting to migrate into hunting as well with the "bone collector" garbage. Maybe ultimately it appeals to the 10-12 year old mind of how to be badas_s and some people just don't mature beyond that point...
The comic-con stuff is mostly good fun from what I can see, almost like acting in a way.

I've been part of this for the past two years:
http://www.zombiesintheheartland.com/

This will be year three. I've shot the match and have volunteered. Some folks treat it like any other match, others go the distance with makeup, costumes, and vehicles. The makeup and costume types are relatively few as being outside for 2-3 days wearing makeup while shooting guns can be uncomfortable.

It's a lot of fun and most of the people that participate are very cool and very friendly.

The head of Hornady Manufacturing is a big zombie movie fan and came up with the the idea of zombie ammo. His son, the VP of sales, thought it was crazy but they went ahead with it. From what I've heard, Hornady Z-MAX ammo is one of their most successful products of all time.

What's remarkable is the amount of zombie-themed gear we get from vendors to put on the prize table. Knives, targets, guns, gun parts, ammo, cases... all kinds of stuff.

Physical condition of the participants seems like a typical cross-section of the public. Some skinny, some fat, some average, some strong, some old, some young.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I wouldn't disparage people from spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on their customs...on an oil forum.

Perspective: hattaresguy has it.

Isn't there a "10 Years of BITOG Get Toegther" forum? Getting together with other oil geeks is, well, geeky. Just like dressing up like the undead and going to an undead conference is geeky.

Know what's weird? Sports fans. Jerseys, hats, stickers, face painting, autographs, memorizing stats, paying a ton of money for season tickets, spending hours glued to the TV to watch grown men play with a ball or drive in circles. Now THAT is weird.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back