Monster Garage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw them pouring Castrol Syntec into a 4 cylider bike motor used in a small car. Did anyone see the viscosity used? Why do so many engine builders use Castrol?

Very few people, except the people on BITOG, really know the good from the bad. Even high end mechanics don't always know what oil to use. I came across "Vinci High Performance" on the web and they use Amsoil S2k. The guy was raving about how good it was. He said the oil he used before was Valvoline. He was using that in his Vette. Again, not a clue.

my father is a mechanic and over the years he mostly used castrol and pennzoil. now he uses chevron supreme b/c i told him he should.

[ March 14, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: oilcanboyd ]

cool.gif
Yeah, but if you watch real close on the Auto Zone commercials, Jesse is grabbing Mobil 1 off the shelf.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
Yeah, but if you watch real close on the Auto Zone commercials, Jesse is grabbing Mobil 1 off the shelf.
lol.gif

I caught that too, next time I will try to catch the cap color to see what grade he is getting! I also saw the episode Jon mentioned where they were building the Legends race car, I tried to catch the grade but couldn't make it out. Am I obsessed?
gr_eek2.gif
freak2.gif
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I saw them pouring Castrol Syntec into a 4 cylider bike motor used in a small car. Did anyone see the viscosity used? Why do so many engine builders use Castrol?

Did anyone else grimace when they gave the motor its first start and it immediately revved to redline?
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:

Did anyone else grimace when they gave the motor its first start and it immediately revved to redline?
crushedcar.gif

Yeah, I did. I never would have before I found this board. Look what you freaks have done to me!
tongue.gif

In movies, product/brand placement is almost never accidental/incidental. Those are subtle paid-for ads.

Not sure about TV shows.

I always thought they could make some money on Junkyard Wars showcasing certain products (like oils/lubes) but companies probably don't want their products associated with those cobbed-together junk monstrosities which often have a very short and extremely traumatic life.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
I always thought they could make some money on Junkyard Wars showcasing certain products (like oils/lubes) but companies probably don't want their products associated with those cobbed-together junk monstrosities which often have a very short and extremely traumatic life.

cool.gif
Maybe Auto-RX?
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
One episode they used NEO. I think it was the one with the OLD Bronco.

Which seems a very logical thing. NEO is just down the street from West Coast Choppers. Not too many oil companies left in that previously oil-rich town.

ferb!

quote:

Not sure about TV shows

Are you referring to the various "little things" sitting around? Heck, the whole thing is a feature length commercial that I'm sure is a permanent stage setup. I doubt anything in view is "incidental".

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Heck, the whole thing is a feature length commercial that I'm sure is a permanent stage setup. I doubt anything in view is "incidental".

cool.gif
It is. If you can, check out the article about it in Car & Driver magazine a month or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back