Monroe Shocks Seem 1.5" too short

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank everyone here. I am confident the monroe shocks will work. I'm not a master mechanic and insights have been shared. Great site and great people. Thank you all.

Originally Posted By: linuxology
I want to thank everyone here. I am confident the monroe shocks will work. I'm not a master mechanic and insights have been shared. Great site and great people. Thank you all.

They will work but you'll also be lifting an inside rear tire more often in hard cornering. Will that matter much? Probably not. The only major thing that would change is that the sway bar won't be quite as effective as difference in rear wheel suspension position will be less, and so the outside rear will be riding a bit lower in the turns, and may not suck up a big bump as effectively.
You have got me thinking about it about perhaps trying this on my car for autocross. Lifting the inside rear earlier should help keep weight on the inside front for better corner exit traction.
Let us know how it works out!

Maybe our worries are just insane and the original ones were just that shot.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
KYB.

Are you saying that KYB is the OE supplier to Mazda or that the OP should change to KYB?

^^^I would have gotten KYB's myself but, the price was right in the Monroe's. Same warranty(lifetime). I do like the Monroe’s as they have softened up the ride(along with decent tires/Pirelli P7) somewhat without penalizing the handling that we've noticed.

I’m saying (or was saying) get KYB.

I have never had very good luck with Monroe and if Sachs, Boge, Bilstein or Koni are not available or appropriate KYB has always done me right.

As for the Monroe mentioned. I would be wary of them if they do not allow the suspension to sag equal to the OE. Monroe seems to be saying that they use a longer coil spring bump stop vs the standard which may be fine, but would concern me if it does not allow full suspension travel.

It would be interesting to know if the Monroe allows the same amount of droop installed. One could determine this by taking a few measurements. I’d be more OK with it if the Monroe shock extended to OE length under the weight of the suspension or could be extended to OE length by hand which would indicate the bump spring was relatively weak at least in the initial stage of apply.

Look what I noticed on the Rock Auto web site. And, this comment was for the KYB struts...

Simple...

jack up car
measure extended length of old shock AS MOUNTED
remove old shock
install new shock
measure extended length of new shock AS MOUNTED
compare...

I would venture to guess the installed extended length of both shocks would be exactly the same. Be sure to get both wheels on that axle off the ground to remove the effect of the anti roll bar.

I just thought is was interesting the the Rock Auto listing confirmed what the Monroe person said over the phone. The information in that listing would have come from KYB. So, it seems that this "piston rod seeming too short" thing is probably a non-issue.

That's interesting and your right its probably a non issue. That listing begs the question are these Monroe just a rebranded unit and possibly the same shock.
When they make notations like that you know the part you receive may look different and you sort of expect it and not surprised when it is. Its when there is no notation you end up wondering what the F is going on here.

The listing I included is actually for the front struts on my 2012 Mazda3. the OP's car is a Mazda6 and he's talking about the shocks (rear). But the way the listing stated how the extended length could be shorter due to to the inclusion of an anti-rollover spring sounded like what the OP heard from Monroe. I figure if two brands are saying the same thing that it's probably true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back