Monroe Severe Service Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a set of these for the Jeep. It's still got the original shocks on it, took it out 4-wheeling this last weekend and blew out the front left shock, it lost all of its oil. It completely bottoms out over big bumps.

At O'Reilly's they have the Monroe Severe Service shocks, only $44 each. A buddy of mine is a mechanic and I get parts at his cost through his commercial account so it'll be even cheaper. The Severe Service line says they're for the police package Cherokee, which mine was owned by the state of Arizona for 11 years and used to have an orange siren in the back. That counts right?
grin2.gif

I figure since they have a lifetime warranty and shocks on a Jeep are easy as pie to change that even if they start dying after a year or two I'll just take them in and get new ones swapped out.

I think I'll go with them unless anyone here says they're complete garbage?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
took it out 4-wheeling

KYB Monotube Gas-A-Just are $35 over on Amazon. (KG5464/KG5465)

Actual shock construction and valving is more important than cool marketing ("severe", "police") language.

If they are the same as the Rancho 5000 made by Monroe for trucks they should be fine. I have a set on my F-150 and it rides better than my car and my wife's 2005 Explorer, which got new struts recently. I had Rancho RSX's for 13 years on the truck first and liked them, but can't seem to get the RSX'x anymore.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I figure since they have a lifetime warranty and shocks on a Jeep are easy as pie to change that even if they start dying after a year or two I'll just take them in and get new ones swapped out.

Sounds like a plan.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
If they are the same as the Rancho 5000 made by Monroe for trucks they should be fine. I have a set on my F-150 and it rides better than my car and my wife's 2005 Explorer, which got new struts recently.

For daily-driver or even slow-speed off road work, it's a fine shock. Heck, I'd even argue that for a Cadillac ride on pavement, it'd be a much better choice than the KYB.

However, running through the desert is entirely different though, and the RS5000 (or even the adjustable RS9000) fair poorly in that environment. Rancho have introduced their 7000 series to address this gap in their lineup.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
If they are the same as the Rancho 5000 made by Monroe for trucks they should be fine. I have a set on my F-150 and it rides better than my car and my wife's 2005 Explorer, which got new struts recently.

For daily-driver or even slow-speed off road work, it's a fine shock. Heck, I'd even argue that for a Cadillac ride on pavement, it'd be a much better choice than the KYB.

However, running through the desert is entirely different though, and the RS5000 (or even the adjustable RS9000) fair poorly in that environment. Rancho have introduced their 7000 series to address this gap in their lineup.

That's the way I use my truck. Being in NJ there are no deserts, discounting sand beaches, unless global warming really takes off
lol.gif

Whimsey

I had the standard blue/yellow Bilstiens on my Liberty and blew 2 pairs of rear ones. They suck, at least for off road use. Put OME ones on and love them.
But I have the Bilsteins on the rear of my XJ, seem fine for DD use with no off road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I had the standard blue/yellow Bilstiens on my Liberty and blew 2 pairs of rear ones.

Let me guess...you installed a lift kit, and were running a Bilstein that wasn't even designed for the application?

Nope, got the proper length and proper bumpstops for the lift, most people didn't have issues with them, but I did for whatever reason.
I've had their shocks up front and they've been great with the lift, have used 2 sets up there. Replaced them only because I wanted different springs out and didn't want to reuse 50k mile old shocks, they're on someone elses Jeep now.

As I predicted, you're running a lift. Bilstein only makes one shock for the Liberty: OE replacement 4600. Nothing for lifted versions.

I notice you didn't dispute that whatever you installed was for another application, just that "it was the proper length". Because someone on a forum (or aftermarket company looking to make a buck) figured out another shock would bolt up doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Nor is it appropriate to blame Bilstein for what happened here.

So...what were the rear shocks actually designed for?

Check the fine print of the warranty, as new shocks are supposed to have new springs and top mounts for the warranty to be valid for 4 years.

Monroe seem to make some good suspension parts and this new line is interesting, as my old TDI will need new rear shocks, springs and mounts fairly soon.

PS: Oops, I just noticed they might not last too long, so if you get sent a set, just wrap them up in Christmas paper and Fedex them to me. I'm sure if they are the wrong size, I can fit a lowering or raising kit to match.

Last edited:
Never heard of Monroe Severe Service before. I know they have Reflex and Rancho, and Reflex is supposed to be a good line.

My first choice would be Bilstein HD, which you get from shox.com for only $289 for the set of four.

Other good choices are KYB MonoMax, KYB Gas-a-just, and Tokico Trekmaster.

There's also Koni, but they are expensive (over $500 for the set!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back