Monroe quickstrut lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
First pic looks like camber is off and over inflated. Second pic looks like toe is off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
First pic looks like camber is off and over inflated. Second pic looks like toe is off.

Same tire in both pictures. Tire on the other side isn't as bad, but maybe it is time for another alignment. I haven't touched anything on the suspension, and none of my other cars have ever needed alignment in such order, but maybe this car is just getting old.

That's bad. I'll see if I can snap some picture of the RT43's on my Camry.

I think you should check if the tie rods have play, if they're good I'd get some control arms on Rock Auto for $50-$60 each and bolt those on, take it for an alignment and call it good.

I need struts for the Maxima. It's sagging which causes inside tire wear. It's out of alignment specs so the only way out of it is new struts to lift it up. Yours is the opposite. Outside wear which suggests the ride height is high so I don't think the struts are worn out. But that small strip of inside wear can be a chronically low tire or you may have a wheel bearing or ball joint that's on its way out I would be testing for that.

38k miles on this tire, it's been on the rear for probably 3/4 of those miles so easy miles. Worn real even and probably 6/32" of tread roughly. I think the rear struts might be original. They're a little bouncy but not totally blown yet.

[Linked Image]

Got new RT43's and an alignment today. Weird. Never had a car go out of alignment before! first for everything I guess. I had it aligned 1.5 years ago at 156,600 miles, and now today at 203k it was quite off. I guess it needs yearly alignments going forward.

2019_alignment.PNG

2019_alignment_zoom.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Something is loose upfront- you need to check. Tie rod ends would be my first suspect, followed by worn control arm bushings.

While 60K is a lot for Monroe's, it may not be your problem.

More like 10K for the Monroe Quick Strut boots. Rust, too

Well, the toe went out, not sure why. But 10k came and went long ago for this set.

The rear LCA bushings (in the front control arms) looked fine to me. That said: this morning I had to get on the brakes, and the car wandered left before going right, then finally deciding on straight. Dry morning. Not sure if the rotors still had oil/brake fluid on them from a recent caliper job, but the car has always been twitchy in cross winds, and a handful on windy days. So now I wonder if the front bushing is bad, or if there's something amiss in the rear.

Always something...

At 0-150k miles I get alignments only with new tires or suspension parts. I only replace the suspension parts that go bad.

After 150k or so, I replace both sides suspension parts when one goes bad, and if I have to do something big, replace everything old on that axle. I also get alignments more often.

Originally Posted by spasm3

If it was over inflated, the middle would be worn out. That tire was under inflated. Plus the toe is toed in too far.

Hrm. Bumping my own thread so I can find it later. New tires and alignment back then at 203k. I rotated tires (or so my notes say) at 205k. At 210k now and the rear tires are nicely chopped.
mad.gif
Time to jack it up again.

Originally Posted by supton
Hrm. Bumping my own thread so I can find it later. New tires and alignment back then at 203k. I rotated tires (or so my notes say) at 205k. At 210k now and the rear tires are nicely chopped.
mad.gif
Time to jack it up again.

KYB has a $100 rebate on the set of 4 quick struts. KYB is the OE supplier
smile.gif

Didn't see anything amiss when I had it up.
21.gif
Maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

Originally Posted by supton
Wondering if mine might be done--put 60k onto them. My first clue is fast tire wear, my RT43's are done after 27k. I had the car aligned 60k ago, shortly after getting the struts. Tire don't have feathering but they just didn't last this time. Second clue is a front end shake that comes and goes. Sometimes it shows up at 70, or 75, or 80. Sometimes it's never there. Last few times it was getting to the point of being violent--and the last time I tapped the brakes and I thought bad things were going to happen. Like wheel falling off or losing control. But 65 and down, all seems fine.
21.gif
[I've parked the car for the meantime.]

Trying to figure out if I want to toss a new set at it, get new tires and get a new alignment, all in that order. I can't seem to find my receipt for the struts so I don't think I can return them.

Is it the cheaper Quick-Strut with a 12K mile warranty, or the better ones with a Lifetime Warranty (so they say)?

For some reason I cannot find my receipt. Maybe I have a print copy someplace, but despite online ordering it's fallen into a hole. I thought it was the better one though.

Car has been doing fine since the start of the thread though, the problem was a tire out of balance (I think--it was replaced).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back