Monograde VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
VI for several monogrades range from 100-110. Is this due to lack of VII, or are they made from low quality base stocks.

It looks like the multi grade HDEO oils should be chosen over monogrades. Are monograde oils kind of an "orphan stepchild" since they aren't normally specced for modern engines? Do they get the dregs of base stocks?

Lack of VII.
For example, Chevron Grp II runs 102-105 and Grp II+ runs 113.
Youll know you found a low quality oil when it is well below that.
Ive found straight weights with a VI of around 30.

IIRC, the Delo SAE30 I have has a VI of 105.

It's actually been one of the best oils I've ever used. I paid $.99 a gallon and it will do 10K mile changes three out of four seasons.

It would be interesting to hear your definition of "best" for this 105VI .99 / "GALLON" oil that will "do" 10K oil changes.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
It would be interesting to hear your definition of "best" for this 105VI .99 / "GALLON" oil that will "do" 10K oil changes.

Here we go with the quotes.
33.gif

There's plenty of backstory to the old Delo sale of '05/'06. It was one of the best deals I have ever seen on this site.

My definitions:
"Best" as in lowest UOA numbers in my trail Jeep (which is treated beyond just about anyones "severe" service).
"Gallon" because that's the container it came in.
"do" because it "did" in almost all of my vehicles and other family members vehicles.

Thank you ! That was very thorough, exceptionally detailed, and substantiated by fact ! The comparative UOA numbers looked good too.

"Best" answer I've read in a long time................

No problem man. I suppose I take my time here for granted and that everyone knows everybody elses back stories or oil deals.
Hope my reply wasn't abrasive.

The Delo actually has some impressive specs, including a decent pour point. Being an an HDEO, I would bet most average drivers could get away with extended OCI's using it. Not that I've seen it around anymore (I'm actually down to about 4 gallons left).

Their are some dual rated 10W30 / "Straight 30" Sythetics that are VII Free.

I wonder what the VI is for some of the 50 Weight (Engine Oil Viscosity) PAO Based 500,000 mile gear box oils used in heavy trucks are?

Edit: Shell Dentax S 50 Weight Gearbox oil has a VI of 151 and No Viscosity Index Improvers.

100 C - 18.2
40 C - 135
VI - 151

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K

I wonder what the VI is for some of the 50 Weight (Engine Oil Viscosity) PAO Based 500,000 mile gear box oils used in heavy trucks are?

146 for Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50.

Charlie

Nice. Im going to get Delo 30 thats on sale now for my HIGH mileage 4.0 in my 87 Cherokee. I like using straight weights in my High mileage, older vehicles. Maby Ill also use it in my 96 Cherokee as well that has 249,??? miles.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
IIRC, the Delo SAE30 I have has a VI of 105.

It's actually been one of the best oils I've ever used. I paid $.99 a gallon and it will do 10K mile changes three out of four seasons.

I'm down to about 6 gallons of 30 weight Delo myself. It's been a summer oil for several cars, cheap summer changes for a Jeep 4.0 six, and a 5.7 SBC in a truck, it is in every piece of 4 stroke OPE I own, and I'm seriously considering using it in my ST1300 motorcycle. That 99 cent deal at AZ was a once in a lifetime thing.. I think I started off with 22 or 23 gallons of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back