Monitor dead?

Got home today and turned on the PC (was off, not asleep which was odd). The monitor didn't come on. I used it last night without a hint of anything wrong. Everything else attached to the strip did come on, though. Hit power button, unplugged cord and switched socket on the strip...nothing. Its fairly old...a Planar SA2311W that I bought shortly after they came out.

I called the company just in case they might know something, but I should probably assume its dead, right?

I hear ya. I am assuming its probably dead, but thought I'd ask. This is only the second screen I've had sin '99 when I had a 19" Trinitron tube monitor. That one gave me some warnings.

Have you confirmed it's not your video cable? That the monitor is 100 % not on

we had a ton of power surges .. randomly blew out 10 power strips.. and took out the power doors.

does this have a transformer in the power cable or standard computer plug?

It probably is dead new ones are pretty cheap.

Power should still come on to the monitor even if the VC is not working, correct? Hit the power switch multiple times.

Just tried a different power cable, nothing. OEM doesn't have anything on it.

Hmmm. Just noticed that the oven and microwave clocks were blinking. Might have had a surge. Whole house is on a surge protector along with the strip.

Last edited:
Sometimes they get ugly before they go; like weird colors, fading, uneven, refuse to adjust to full straight edges. Sometimes they just quit. Sometimes a surge burns up the power supply popping caps, blowing a glass fuse, or overloading a diode.
time to get a new one.

Planar tech support emailed and confirmed...dead. These were known for going out suddenly. At least I got 11 years out of it! Looking at Viewsonic and Gigabyte options for replacement as they have 3 year warranties. Mid range in 27".

Capacitor failure(s) in the monitor's power supply. Very common. I have fixed several monitors that had this problem. If you have to pay someone else to fix it, get a new monitor.

Planar tech support emailed and confirmed...dead. These were known for going out suddenly. At least I got 11 years out of it! Looking at Viewsonic and Gigabyte options for replacement as they have 3 year warranties. Mid range in 27".

I don't suggest 1920X1080 for a 27" monitor. I'd go 2560X1440.

That's only if the problem still exists. Fuses can weaken over time and fail. I personally have had fuse blow, replaced the fuse and never had another problem. For the price of a fuse, it's worth it to me to go that route first before throwing an item away.,,,

Just for the heck of it, when my brother's monitor failed, I replaced about 9 capacitors in his monitor. It fixed it. In videos I watched, it said don't bother with the large capacitor as it never fails, but it checked the worst of the 9 on my capacitance meter. Total cost was about $15.

Back