mongoose bike comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to find a mint 1979 Team Mongoose:

zn100i.jpg

When I was a kid Mongoose was one of the premiere BMX brands. Nowadays they are little more than a Walmart special. So sad.

Mongoose is now just another brand owned by Dorel. They also own Cannondale, Schwinn and GT.
http://www.dorel.com/eng/recreation-product-portfolio

They announced earlier this year they're closing the old Cannondale facility in the U.S. They used to make high-end Cannondales there.
http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/01/..._in_the_us.html
Quote:
MONTREAL—Dorel is closing the bicycle industry’s last assembly operations in the United States and shifting the work from Pennsylvania to third-party suppliers in Asia.

The Montreal-based company said the change, which will affect about 100 employees, is part of a restructuring at its recreational and leisure division to be completed this year that will “enhance its competitiveness.”

Dorel’s plant in Bedford, about 170 kilometres east of Pittsburgh, took a major hit about four years ago when most assembly work was transferred to Taiwan and mainland China, affecting hundreds of jobs.

I have quite an interesting bike made by Mongoose. Years ago they decided to try to expand into road bikes. They branded these bikes Mangusta, which is Italian for "mongoose."

The one I have isn't the top-end models, but it's one of the earlier bikes with a partial aluminum frame. The frame, except for the rear triangle. It's bonded aluminum, which is just a fancy name for glued, I think.

It's a pretty flexible frame, but the glue is still holding and I've ridden it a decent amount. I picked it up for only $80 a couple years ago.

Mine is a Mangusta 1000 just like the one pictured. This one isn't mine, but mine is this same color scheme.

25d3e7_2ce3ec835d3cb6c19cf4b2eab1e87fa7.jpg

Originally Posted By: 29662
When I was a kid Mongoose was one of the premiere BMX brands. Nowadays they are little more than a Walmart special. So sad.

+10000

Anyone here have one of those late 70s-early 80s nickel plated Mongooses? MUCH better looking than the chrome plated BMX frames imo.

Originally Posted By: 29662

Yeah,it's such a shame. Schwinn too. Mongoose and Schwinn were VERY expensive top of the line bikes in the 70s-early 80s. The competing BMX bikes in my day:

Team Mongoose
Redline Powerline
Diamondback
Schwinn Sting
PK Ripper

Then you had some rare brands I never saw in person:

Cook Bros
SE Racing Quadangle
Bearmobile

Ah,the good old days!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Redline bicycles actually makes some decent cyclocross frames/bikes now a days.
thumbsup2.gif

Sweet! I didn't even know they were still around
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back