Money Saving Measures

So I mentioned in my headlight thread that Chevy saved a few pennies by putting a tiny oil filter on my wife’s new car. The picture doesn’t do it justice. It’s really small. Take a look when you get a new car.
We took a big road trip and thankfully I changed it out with a proper filter.

Attachments

• 5752AB4D-60BB-4A4E-AF74-530DA03A22BE.jpeg
    5752AB4D-60BB-4A4E-AF74-530DA03A22BE.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 92
So I mentioned in my headlight thread that Chevy saved a few pennies by putting a tiny oil filter on my wife’s new car. The picture doesn’t do it justice. It’s really small. Take a look when you get a new car.
Can you share your analysis that determined that a larger "proper" filter was required?
Or did you do it just to make you feel better?

Nothing wrong with either answer, I'm just wondering if you have the inside analysis that is more robust than the power train engineers.

No idea if it made any difference on that filter. Smaller but maybe it had a internal design to compensate, such as more pleats?

It drives me absolutely bananas when auto makers use a small fragile plastic part, in place of a little metal part, where the costs/weight savings must have been close to zero. Little clips and screws that seem destined to fail; and when it does fail the repair is very inconvenient or expensive. Sometimes critical parts are held on by little fragile plastic clips or similar. GRRRRRR

I also absolutely HATE the arbitrary different size and design of screw heads - hex, torx, star, and a dozen more when there is absolutely no reason OTHER than what seems to force a owner to give up in frustration, or buy more tools/bits/parts, etc.

I also absolutely HATE the arbitrary different size and design of screw heads - hex, torx, star, and a dozen more when there is absolutely no reason OTHER than what seems to force a owner to give up in frustration, or buy more tools/bits/parts, etc.
I actually don't mind the Torx stuff, technically if you read about it, it's a better design and less likely to strip a bolt.

Stuff just changes with the times. Otherwise we'd still be using the horse and buggy.

Some of us bumped up to the XG10575 … but many stayed with the smaller ACD and did 200k to 400k on the 5.3
Now the current 5.3 uses the longer filter
In another thread the manufacturing process got mentioned as why the factory filter is different
(early break in oil changer here anyway) …

I actually don't mind the Torx stuff, technically if you read about it, it's a better design and less likely to strip a bolt.

Stuff just changes with the times. Otherwise we'd still be using the horse and buggy.

Fine, then let's just switch everything to Torx and be done with it. I don't have a horse in the race. But when I have to bring every bit I own to do a simple repair, it's maddening.

For instance, on my Ford, there's a Torx that has an unexplainable divot, and in a recessed location where no other tool can reach it; requiring a special Torx with a recess. That has no design benefit, other than to force me to buy another bit.

Love T25 wood screws - grabbed some the other day and they were Phillips … felt like I needed white shoes 😷

For instance, on my Ford, there's a Torx that has an unexplainable divot, and in a recessed location where no other tool can reach it; requiring a special Torx with a recess. That has no design benefit, other than to force me to buy another bit.
Well the manufacturer tends to stick to a certain type of fastener so once you have a set, you're all set...

Anyway, that divot sounds like a security torx bolt. Used in areas where you don't want people to tamper with it. Tamper resistant bolts. I use them on my license plate.

I believe those are put on for shipping purposes....So the filter doesn't get crushed, Upon the first oil change the longer specified filter gets installed.

Fine, then let's just switch everything to Torx and be done with it. I don't have a horse in the race. But when I have to bring every bit I own to do a simple repair, it's maddening.

that’s torx security. it’s a warning to not tamper if you don’t know what you’re doing

Can you share your analysis that determined that a larger "proper" filter was required?
Or did you do it just to make you feel better?

Nothing wrong with either answer, I'm just wondering if you have the inside analysis that is more robust than the power train engineers.
The little filter that came on the car says right on it to replace it with a PF63E which is longer than what what they delivered the car with. Of course I feel better with the longer filter. Who wouldn’t, especially when you’re about to put three thousand miles on it?

Last edited:
Back